Stress eating and the holidays

Options
lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've read a lot of statements like "It's only one day," and "It's a holiDAY, not a holiday month!" And, this being my first holiday season after/during weight loss, I've wondered how I'll fare during the month of December. As I've gone through Thanksgiving and we're now entering December, I can already see myself going over my goal calorie limit, and I've figured out that it's from holiday stress! We're traveling to my mom's in TX for Christmas, so I have to have all gifts bought and wrapped, I'm homeschooling two kids while our third is at a private school, and I have a full time job. Add in ridiculous family relationship drama which happens every year, started last month with no end in site (i.e., fun times at Christmas!), and I find myself pouring more wine in the evening and eating more along with it. It has nothing to do with holiday party overindulgences--my life is just more stressful during this time! I know we have many blessings, and there are so many others with much more stress than mine. But somehow this time of year just isn't good for watching my calories! I'll be lucky to just maintain, but I see some weight gain happening in December! Am I alone?

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What I read quite often on this forum is something in the lines of "I gained weight again, cause .. LIFE"
    It seems that your way of thinking is heading towards that direction as well, and that you have given in, and has mentally prepared to gain weight the next few weeks.

But life happens everyday - as you already know.
    But you are in a way lucky. You are over 40 years old now, and have more wisdom than a younger person. You just have to use this wisdom and you will be just fine.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    What I read quite often on this forum is something in the lines of "I gained weight again, cause .. LIFE"
    It seems that your way of thinking is heading towards that direction as well, and that you have given in, and has mentally prepared to gain weight the next few weeks.

But life happens everyday - as you already know.
    But you are in a way lucky. You are over 40 years old now, and have more wisdom than a younger person. You just have to use this wisdom and you will be just fine.

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't say that I've given in, more like, recognized the real problem. That it's not just a matter of having lots of holiday gatherings and yummy food at this time of year, but rather, the fact that it's just a busier, more stressful time for me, so it's harder to stay within my calorie goal. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. And maybe suggestions on how to deal with it? Or just don't fight it too much and deal with the consequences ((gain of a few pounds) once all the crazy is over?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Do what you can.