Going Vegan and Need Advice

Options
I think that I want to go vegan. I am 19 years old, and I recently watched a YouTube video made by someone who is a vegan and it caught my interest! Since moving out of my parents house I have not been eating healthily, and I noticed that I have almost completely cut out meat. The only time I really eat meat is when my boyfriend makes something with meat in it. I like eating dairy, mostly cheese, but looking at where that comes from and how it is produced is gross to me.

I have various reasons for wanting to try veganism, from seeing if how I am eating effects my mental state, to feeling better physically altogether.

That being said, I would love to talk with people who are vegan! Whether it has been a recent change, a lifelong thing, or if you were not vegan for a long time and now are. I really don't know how to do this or even try this in a healthy way, and I would love to just speak to someone who is vegan about how you make this lifestyle work for you!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The vegan society has a lot of information for people just starting, suggest you look there
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you are 19 and have been eating dairy and meat your whole life I would start out just by adding more vegetables to your diet. Greens, root vegetables, "fruity" vegetables like tomato and avocado, squashes, lentils and beans, more greens cold and cooked, feel comfortable preparing those first. Have some standby recipes that will sustain you during the busy times. Find a party pot luck recipe that you can make and take with you, like vegan enchiladas. Vegan packaged food can be just as unhealthy as nonvegan packaged food, for you and the environment.
  • VeganFaceHole
    VeganFaceHole Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You dont have to avoid bread and fake meats and cheeses. You can but dont have to.
    Just eat vegan until your full.
    Plant based is something totally different.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but I love a few vegans and am also mostly vegetarian (I will still eat some fish on occasion), but I consume very little dairy and even fewer eggs (and only from chickens I know, personally).

My advice? Don't beat yourself up if you slip up and have some cheese or even some meat early on. Some people can make the switch from omnivore to vegan overnight, but others take time. A friend of mine told me recently that it took her 5 years to go fully vegan. My brother was vegetarian for almost 20 years and talked about going vegan for about 5 until he finally did. I have a feeling I will eventually get there myself. I do know people who woke up one morning and decided they were vegan and have never had an animal product since.

Realize that to be truly an ethical vegan you must eliminate ALL animal products from your life. This includes the clothes you wear and even the medications and supplements you take. You'll get very good at reading labels.

Be prepared for a lot of backlash and teasing. People can be real jerks about someone's eating choices, particularly if they go vegan. Good luck!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, people can be nasty about it. I don't tell many people that I don't eat meat or dairy. A lot of people seem to think that it's a miserable, deprived existence but you can still eat most of the same things if you are a bit creative with recipes- even cheesecake!

Have a google for vegan cheese recipes- it's pretty easy to make your own and there are lots of different recipes for different types of cheese. I made mozzarella-style vegan cheese out of cashews and it was really good. Shop bought vegan cheese is also so much better than I expected. And you need to get some nutritional yeast! It is awesome in place of parmesan cheese or in vegan cheese sauce.

Some cafes don't have non-dairy milk available so I bought myself a big box of vegan coffee whitener sachets and just shove a handful in my bag when I go out.

Don't worry about 'rules' or what other people are doing. This is a decision you make for yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you accidentally eat something with animal products in or if you pour cow milk into your coffee in the morning without thinking.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If I were going vegan, I'd pay a lot of attention to what janejellyroll has to say about how to do it.

Also, a lot of the vegan youtubers are to be avoided, but I have been impressed with unnatural vegan. I'd check her out.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Decide what sort of vegan you want to be. Do you want to simply avoid products that contain animal derivatives, or do you want to be a strict vegan who only eats whole foods and packaged foods that indicate they are certified vegan? I am not a strict vegan. While I won't eat anything that contains gelatin, dairy, eggs, bugs (carmine used for coloring), or honey I will eat products that are made in shared facilities. I will also consume some foods that contain palm oil, which can be a real sticky wicket due to deforestation and labor practices of the palm plantations. Transition foods can really help, and so long as you're within your calorie deficit, there is no reason to abstain. I'm trying to wean myself off of them, because they are expensive, but there is nothing inherently wrong with Gardein or Tofurkey (along with other great brands) products. Be careful with Morningstar Farms, as many of their products contain eggs and/or milk.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those guidelines are only partially helpful when starting to eat vegan. Just don't eat like *kitten* and you're fine.

I'm vegetarian, but eat vegan during the week, when I'm typically less active (desk job) and I also just really enjoy vegan food. One of the best things I've done since adopting a somewhat regular vegan diet is found a local vegan potluck group. Our local Vegan Society organizes it once a month and everything is always delicious and it's a good way to get motivation.

Another myth about veganism/vegetarianism...people will always ask if you're getting enough protein. Truth is people don't *need* a lot of the protein they think they do, especially if they eat a very meat-heavy diet. The protein converts to fat. I eat a lot of pulses (beans, lentils, peas). I've discovered a huge love of curries for that reason.

A lot of vegans and vegetarians eat tofu which I occasionally put in stir fry but I try to avoid soy because soy is another thing that you can get too much of too easily and it can lead to things such as breast cancer. I prefer almond and cashew milk over soy milk. Though, it's worth it to learn how to make tofu and make it well.

Isa Chandler has a GREAT blog and cookbooks, formerly the Post Punk Kitchen. The Veganomicon is my most recommended cookbook. She also has great books on making vegan cookies and cupcakes, because one of my favorite things about eating vegan is getting to eat lots of vegan sweets with only a little guilt. :)

If I didn't love cheese and butter so much I'd be 100% vegan because it truly makes me feel so much better. I feel like I can eat A LOT of food and not feel drowsy or crappy (and I go to town at these potlucks). I feel like I have more energy, less bloat, better digestion, and just better habits all around. Not all vegan foods are low-calorie, but I almost always have room for dark chocolate or a glass of wine at the end of the night :)

I never want to sound preachy (ugh I hate how I have to defend myself this way) but eating a mostly vegan diet has helped me enjoy food SO MUCH MORE. Instead of just throwing chicken in a dish, I have to be more creative, which ultimately makes me deeply love the process of cooking and eating in a way that feels more meaningful than just eating to live.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    ... Never compromise nourishment, or nutrition, because of a calorie goal. You have to eat healthy to be healthy, healthy does not mean purely your calorie goal as the end all be all measurement. There is literally 0 benefit to seeking a healthy lifestyle if all you are doing is focusing on the calories.

@sarko15 I. LOVE. THIS.

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, and have been vegan since I was about ten years old...so a very good portion of my life. To be fair, it's probably easier for me because I have severe egg, dairy and shellfish allergies, so really the only thing I don't eat is meat, lol. Read labels. You don't have to "cut out" packaged food if you don't want to, but really educate yourself on "hidden" ingredients that are not vegan. Not everything will say "milk" on the label, as sometimes they only use the casien, whey or milkfat derived from the dairy product. I believe there is even a phone app that can scan a barcode on a package and tell you if it's vegan or not. @sarko15 nailed it on the head with focusing on nutrients over calories. Sure, calorie monitoring is important for weight loss, but don't sacrifice your nutrition.

I always tell people when they want to start looking at a more plant-based diet to start cooking for yourself, but slowly. Find one recipe each week you want to try, with ingredients you may have never tried before. Find something with a new (to you) vegetable, and focus on that recipe. Try a new recipe, or new food each week, and don't beat yourself up if you crumble some cheese on your salad...it's a big transition. Good luck, and enjoy!
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for a few years and a balanced diet is key to longevity. The Vegan Starter Kit is an amazing resource and Veganuary is coming up. There are a lot of great blogs out there like the Post Punk Kitchen and Oh She Glows. I also really like One Green Planet - they have great cheese recipes and stories about animal rescue. I sincerely hope you make the choice to join the community - all are welcome!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but I love a few vegans and am also mostly vegetarian (I will still eat some fish on occasion), but I consume very little dairy and even fewer eggs (and only from chickens I know, personally).

My advice? Don't beat yourself up if you slip up and have some cheese or even some meat early on. Some people can make the switch from omnivore to vegan overnight, but others take time. A friend of mine told me recently that it took her 5 years to go fully vegan. My brother was vegetarian for almost 20 years and talked about going vegan for about 5 until he finally did. I have a feeling I will eventually get there myself. I do know people who woke up one morning and decided they were vegan and have never had an animal product since.

Realize that to be truly an ethical vegan you must eliminate ALL animal products from your life. This includes the clothes you wear and even the medications and supplements you take. You'll get very good at reading labels.

Be prepared for a lot of backlash and teasing. People can be real jerks about someone's eating choices, particularly if they go vegan. Good luck!

Vegans eliminate all animal products to the extent that it is possible and practical. Total removal is impossible for most people given how animal products are woven into our lives, including transportation (animal products are in tires, for example) and the medical industry. Some vegans have medical conditions that require medicines that contain animal products. We don't expect people to quit medication -- a dead or seriously ill vegan doesn't help anyone. If the medication has an alternative that is free of animal products, then a change is possible and something that a vegan would do.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Make foods you already like that are vegan or vegetarian. Mexican food is easy to make vegan just replace meat with beans and cheese with guac. There are vegan replacements if you need help like cheese or egg or faux meats. Peta2.com has some great reciepes for 1 and tips on eating out, etc.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The seventh day adventist church in my town has in the past offered a series of vegan cooking classes. I don't attend that church but really enjoyed the classes. In fact i enjoyed them so much that i did them weekly for two winters. It was a fun way to learn a new way to prepare food.