Overnight steel cut oats with almond milk, no toppings?

Options
OneTwentyThree
OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
Has anyone tried making steel cut oats overnight.. does it come out the same or do I need to use old fashioned rolled oats?
Also if I just add almond milk without adding any other toppings will it taste ok? Does anyone else eat it like this?
Thanks.

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats would still be very hard to chew. You could try it, but I think over-night oats are best with rolled oats.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    And just using almond milk would be very bland. Not bad, just not much flavor.
  • ScratchyAnderson
    ScratchyAnderson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe all the time. It's fantastic. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-steelcut-oatmeal-the-make-ahead-method-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-134185 If you want to boost flavor, try adding in a splash of vanilla or almond extract, or cinnamon, cloves, allspice, anything like that.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I second the link above. I use a very similar recipe from America's test kitchen and I like it WAY better than slow cooker steel cut oats (my slow cooker scorches them - even on warm).
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat my oats plan just with almond milk or water if I cook them on the stove top, slower cooker, pressure cooker. So I am asking if eating them plain like this overnight tastes similar or will it make me gag. I guess I will have to try it to find out lol. But thanks for letting me know its better to use rolled oats.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats for overnight porridge with almond milk and put in the fridge. It is watery, I have to admit when I take it out of the fridge in the morning, but a few minutes in the microwave thickens it's up.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The one time I tried overnight oats with steel cut did not go well. :(

I am a bit of a weirdo though because I really like my oats savory, so I usually cook them with just water and then add salt and pepper. Sometimes I toss in scallions and soy sauce. And if I'm feeling really fancy, a poached egg...mmm...
  • Carrrrla
    Carrrrla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats overnight, I prefer them over the rolled oats personally they are chewy vs pasty. I actually use my favourite Greek yogurts instead of milk just stir them up and leave overnight.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The one time I tried overnight oats with steel cut did not go well. :(

I am a bit of a weirdo though because I really like my oats savory, so I usually cook them with just water and then add salt and pepper. Sometimes I toss in scallions and soy sauce. And if I'm feeling really fancy, a poached egg...mmm...

That sounds yummy actually, like congee but made with oats instead of rice.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats with 1/2 serving steel cut oats, 1/2 serving old fashioned oatmeal, almond milk, a little Sugar or maple syrup to taste. The regular oats make it kind of creamy and the steel cut oats are chewy. Sometimes I stir in craisins, raisins, berries, chunks of peach, Greek yogurt, almonds, toasted pecans...whatever sounds good.
  • Kendralh
    Kendralh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the steel cut oats! They keep their texture better.

I like to use greek yogurt, 1/2 serving of protein powder, some chia seeds, almond milk in mine.

Sometimes I'll do fresh figs, raisins, and pumpkin pie spice mixed in, and sometimes I'll do vanilla extract and raspberries. I've found monk fruit (you can get it in liquid or powder at most markets) is my favorite sweetener for them, if you want it a little sweeter :)
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe all the time. It's fantastic. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-steelcut-oatmeal-the-make-ahead-method-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-134185 If you want to boost flavor, try adding in a splash of vanilla or almond extract, or cinnamon, cloves, allspice, anything like that.

This looks really easy and yummy! Thanks for the recommendation
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I add 30g light ricotta cheese to my normal soaked rolled oats (1/3 cup)... rather than any milk. That makes the rolled oats creamy and ups my protein intake.

Do you think adding ricotta to steel cut oats would work similar - never heard of steel cut oats before, am thinking that these would take a while to digest and keep you even fuller ??
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do steel cut oats with just nut milk sometimes and think it is good (I also like it made with water and with just berries added). I prefer it made in a rice cooker, though, and have never tried it as overnight oats (I like oatmeal hot).
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    I add 30g light ricotta cheese to my normal soaked rolled oats (1/3 cup)... rather than any milk. That makes the rolled oats creamy and ups my protein intake.

Do you think adding ricotta to steel cut oats would work similar - never heard of steel cut oats before, am thinking that these would take a while to digest and keep you even fuller ??

They take some adjustments but I feel they do digest more slowly. I eat the leftovers cold with a sprinkle of dark brown sugar. When I cook them, I add salt, cinnamon and golden raisins. I prefer them without dairy.