Too much salt?

Options
I usually cook/prep all my food from scratch, but I had a bit of a ham mishap in our prepped lunches this week. It must have had a short 'best before' date on it that I didn't notice so we had to throw out our last two days lunches. I grabbed a couple of cans of soup to replace them and BOTH (Heinz brand) have come up when I logged them on here as being over MFPs entire daily goal for me. Just in a can of soup!! I know food like that has extra salt in it but jeeezzz. It seems though MFP have given me less of a salt allowance than the general government guidelines, so what effect might the extra salt have on my weightloss, if any?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Its 2 days...youll be fine. not sure i get why people care anyway, Yes it can make you retain water but say you had retained water and kept eating salt while losing weight...Wouldnt you still be losing weight just like 5 pounds heavier? Youll be just fine lol :D
  • madameclaudy
    madameclaudy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Canned soup contains A LOT of sodium. It won't make you gain any weight if you didn't go over your daily allowed calorie intake. You will however see a higher number on the scale from water retention. But don't worry about that. Once you go back to less sodium your body will lose the water retention in a matter of days and you'll be back to where you were before.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Its 2 days...youll be fine. not sure i get why people care anyway, Yes it can make you retain water but say you had retained water and kept eating salt while losing weight...Wouldnt you still be losing weight just like 5 pounds heavier? Youll be just fine lol :D

I don't mean those two days only, I'm wondering in general! Because MFP gives me a lower limit than national guidelines I'm wondering WHY it does.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    you can always change it to match the guidelines or what ever you want to follow for it
  • Misssynth
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    you can always change it to match the guidelines or what ever you want to follow for it

Oh I know that. I'm not so bothered, I'm literally just curious as to why MFP is so different. But no one seems to know.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I see that you are from England.

MFP lists the recommended sodium while your nutrition info on the soup likely lists the salt content. Salt is sodium chloride and that sodium is about 40% of the weight of the salt.

The current sodium guidelines in the US are 2300 mg which is the equivalent of 5750 mg (or 5.75 g) of salt.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »

Oh I know that. I'm not so bothered, I'm literally just curious as to why MFP is so different. But no one seems to know.

I use an online Salt to Sodium converter to get the right amount of sodium on MFP. As long as I'm under 2300 sodium I'm fine.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    On my last carb refeed, I used bagels and ignored sodium intake like an idiot. Now granted, I was at the extreme end of things with roughly 13,000mg in a 24 hour period. But let's put it this way: that was almost two weeks ago, and I just today finished shedding most of the 16 lbs. of water retention I put on.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    I usually cook/prep all my food from scratch, but I had a bit of a ham mishap in our prepped lunches this week. It must have had a short 'best before' date on it that I didn't notice so we had to throw out our last two days lunches. I grabbed a couple of cans of soup to replace them and BOTH (Heinz brand) have come up when I logged them on here as being over MFPs entire daily goal for me. Just in a can of soup!! I know food like that has extra salt in it but jeeezzz. It seems though MFP have given me less of a salt allowance than the general government guidelines, so what effect might the extra salt have on my weightloss, if any?

Unless you have high blood pressure, and even then some high blood pressure has nothing to do with sodium, all a spike in sodium will result in is some water retention.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Unless you have high blood pressure, and even then some high blood pressure has nothing to do with sodium, all a spike in sodium will result in is some water retention.

Precisely what has been said here. Ignore any scale fluctuations as it'll just be water this week.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1500 mg per day. Sodium consumption is a major factor in high blood pressure. Consider this about sodium from: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/About-Sodium-Salt_UCM_463416_Article.jsp#

"It’s an essential nutrient, but if you’re like most Americans you’re probably getting way more sodium than your body needs or that's good for your heart.

"In some people, sodium increases blood pressure because it holds excess fluid in the body, creating an added burden to your heart. Blood pressure rises with age, and eating less sodium now will help curb that rise and reduce your risk of developing other conditions associated with too much sodium, such as stroke, heart failure, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, and kidney disease.

"Most Americans consume about 3,400 milligrams of sodium a day — more than twice the 1,500 milligrams recommended by the American Heart Association.

"The biggest contributor to our sodium consumption is not the salt shaker. Approximately 75 percent of the sodium we eat comes from sodium added to processed foods and restaurant foods."
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Your weight may go up a couple of pounds for a couple of days due to water retention. It will go back down.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading.. not trying to sway anyone to eat more sodium, but since I generally average 4000+mg a day or so without too much issue it makes me wonder:

http://www.livescience.com/47348-sodium-guidelines-rethought.html

Bottom line is that it affects everyone differently. Eating over the sodium guidelines for extended periods of time is believed to be one cause of high blood pressure, but it doesn't always affect people the same way. People who drink a lot of water for instance, can handle a higher intake. I actually notice getting dehydrated faster when I stay below 2300mg a day even though I drink the same amount of water each day (or try to). I had a grandmother who salted everything, preserved meats in salt, you name it she put salt in/on it if she could get away with it. She lived to be 92 and never had high blood pressure. Yet when I was overweight I had high blood pressure, and it went away when I lost the weight. Salt/sodium intake has stayed the same, if not increased since I lost the weight. So in some ways the recommendations make no sense for some people. I wonder that if I keep up the 4000-6000mg intake of sodium on a regular basis will my high blood pressure come back later in life? Maybe. Maybe not.

One thing is for certain, making your own soup would be better than eating canned soup, sodium is used to give it a longer shelf life and to enhance flavor in canned/pre-packaged foods. So if you can cook it raw, go sparingly with the salt, and season with other spices, you'll be better off. Any day I go over my intake it's because of something I ate that was pre-packaged like lunchmeat, tuna, even condiments. When I have time to make my own foods it doesn't happen. Unfortunately I don't always have time to make my own substitutes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of debate about what the sodium requirements should be: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/?utm_term=.2b36f9fd24b2

Personally, since I don't eat a lot of packaged/ultra-processed stuff or fast food, and since I've never had an issue with my blood pressure at all, I don't worry about it and use salt in cooking and don't track it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It shouldn't...it should give you the RDA top end of 2,300 mg. What does your target say? How much was in the soup?
  • fr33sia12
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lots of debate about what the sodium requirements should be: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/?utm_term=.2b36f9fd24b2

Personally, since I don't eat a lot of packaged/ultra-processed stuff or fast food, and since I've never had an issue with my blood pressure at all, I don't worry about it and use salt in cooking and don't track it.

And on the flip side I eat very little salt too, I'd say about 2g-3g a day and still have high blood pressure. My blood pressure is nothing to do with diet it's more anxiety. I don't intentionally have little salt, I just don't eat many processed foods or add salt to food either.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    And on the flip side I eat very little salt too, I'd say about 2g-3g a day and still have high blood pressure.

2g-3g per day is 2000mg to 3000mg so that is not a particularly low amount for sodium BUT there's only 388mg of sodium in a gram of salt so 2g-3g of salt is only 775mg-1164mg of sodium. Note, however, that other foods contain sodium as well.
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    And on the flip side I eat very little salt too, I'd say about 2g-3g a day and still have high blood pressure.

2g-3g per day is 2000mg to 3000mg so that is not a particularly low amount for sodium BUT there's only 388mg of sodium in a gram of salt so 2g-3g of salt is only 775mg-1164mg of sodium. Note, however, that other foods contain sodium as well.

That's 2g-3g of salt not sodium.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It shouldn't...it should give you the RDA top end of 2,300 mg. What does your target say? How much was in the soup?

My target is 2300mg. The soup was 2800mg. But on the can it says it would only be 23% of the recommended daily intake of salt, which is why I'm so confused!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My target is 2300mg. The soup was 2800mg. But on the can it says it would only be 23% of the recommended daily intake of salt, which is why I'm so confused!

I think someone gave a good explanation upthread:

The 2300 mg recommendation is sodium, not salt, which is what the US recommendations are based on. UK labels seem to be counting salt, not sodium, and the UK recommendation for adults seems to be 6 g of salt (which converts to about 2300 mg of sodium -- so is about the same, except that sodium is in things besides salt, of course).

If the 2800 mg is salt (as seems likely), then it's only 1103 mg sodium. Now, that would be about 46% of the total recommended amount of salt (which again I think is 6 g), so probably it's that the recommended amount applies to a serving size of half the can (or 1400 mg of salt, about 551 mg of sodium). If so, that explains the 23%.