Discouraged by family

Options
5'2-3" woman at age 20. Started out at 160 and after almost 6 months am down to 118. I went home for thanksgiving thinking that my family (who always calls me fat) would see a difference. The first words they all said were that I look disgusting and need to eat more. I'm a small frame and feel like I could drop to 115 or 110 and still be healthy but now I'm starting to feel gross since multiple members told me "looks like you have an eating disorder." My family has always been spiteful toward me but this is bothering me quite a bit since

Replies

• CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am sorry they are like that. My mother, who is 75, always asks me how much I weigh. When she is lower than I am, she gleefully lets me know that she does not work out at all. I bust my butt working out because I love the way it makes me feel. So basically, it feels like she is in a competition with me. With your family and mine, perhaps jealousy? Anyway, you know your own body. Don't listen to naysayers.
  • fyree39
    fyree39 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Is your family overweight? It almost sound like "sabotage by jealousy". I'm so sorry you had to experience that. Big (((hugs))) to you.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Ignore them! You are doing great! Good job losing the weight!!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Family often feel they can say exactly what's on their mind without a filter. Do not let them make you feel bad about getting healthy. When you're used to seeing a person heavy and then suddenly they're not, it can come as a shock and seem more drastic a change than it really is.

You worked hard for yourself, keep doing you!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    Family isn't who you share DNA with; it's who treats you right.

I'll leave it at that.
    This says it all.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    5'2-3" woman at age 20. Started out at 160 and after almost 6 months am down to 118. I went home for thanksgiving thinking that my family (who always calls me fat) would see a difference. The first words they all said were that I look disgusting and need to eat more. I'm a small frame and feel like I could drop to 115 or 110 and still be healthy but now I'm starting to feel gross since multiple members told me "looks like you have an eating disorder." My family has always been spiteful toward me but this is bothering me quite a bit since

It sounds like your family is going to criticize you no matter what, so do what makes you happy. Your current weight is perfectly fine for your height, especially as young as you are.

They also aren't used to seeing you so small, so that's probably part of it. I'm also 5'3". I was thin most of my life, weighing around 110-120 and a size 3. I was healthy. My parents were never worried. I gained some weight in my late 20s and then lost it and was around 130 when my mother said she was worried I was anorexic and that I was too thin and shouldn't lose more weight. I think it was just the contrast. She hadn't seen me losing the weight. She saw me one day at the higher weight and a few months later at the lower weight and I think it shocked her.

My mother, though, was genuinely concerned. Your family just sound like jerks. Ignore them.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear you went through this. You are wonderful just the way you are. Like others have mentioned above, it sounds like jealousy for someone who has absolutely worked her butt off. Be proud of yourself, and please don't let their words sabotage your incredible journey.
  • cataire3
    cataire3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So very sorry. You need better support. I don't know how to do a friend request, but if you do, we can try to help each other!
  • WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    MISERY LOVES COMPANY. Please don't fall prey to your family's disapproval. I'm getting the very same response from colleagues at work. Just let it go into one ear and out the other. Keep your head held high and continue your healthier LIFESTYLE. :)<3