Need opinions on which heart rate monitor to purchase

Options
bslclay
bslclay Posts: 55 Member
I have been researching prices/features of heart rate monitors online and I am now so confused... I want the heart rate monitor to show me the calories burned and my heart rate target zone for the best workouts possible. I can't spend a lot ($100 tops?). I would like to be able to change the battery myself so I don't have to send it to the company. I have been looking into Polar brand but there are so many models to choose from. Any one using a heart rate moinitor they would like to share their opinion on?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT6 and I love it! It does show calories burned and heart rate target zones. Although I turn this feature off, you can also get it to warn and guide you into a specific heart rate zone. It'll beep fast/slow when your heart rate is either too high or too low. It's really easy to use. The second day I had it, I felt like a pro; I already knew exactly how to do this or that. :) It's around $100 at most sports goods stores, but you could probably get one online for around $70. The only problem is that is does require you to send it back to the company for a battery replacement, however my manual said that the battery should last from a year and half to two years.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 with chest strap.

If you choose another, make sure it has a chest strap or in my opinion and experience, it is a waste of money. Also make sure you can input YOUR info for accurate burn reading.

I adore :love: my F6!
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 too and it does all you would probably need it to do. It's supposed to work without much interference from other heart rate monitors in the room too. I think that's a good feature. It comes in handy if you're in a gym setting where other people have on heart rate monitors. I got it for about $100. However, Bear00 posted a deal on ebay earlier this week "For any of you in the states who needs a heart rate monitor": http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310230368471

It has a strap so that's good! Looks like a great deal without having to spend too much!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. They have a women's size in a copper color. The chest strap is soft and can be thrown in the washing machine once a week. The battery can be changed by yourself. It has several displays to chose from, including the low/high target range. You can set it to beep at you when you go below or above your zone, but I turned that off. Doing interval training, I was hearing that faint beeping way too often!

It also asks for your birth date, weight, gender, and height to calculate your target zones and calories burned. It stores the past few weeks of workouts so you can look it up later if you forgot to enter it into MFP or were away from a computer.

And my favorite part is that it doesn't start the workout immediately. You push the start button and wait for it to find your heart rate, which doesn't take as long as my Timex HRM. And then you press start again to begin the workout. You can also pause the work out and resume where you left off.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 with chest strap:drinker: :love: $89-$100 (the low end price is a good sale price)
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    So what is the difference between the F6 and the FT7??? I too am looking and wondering which one to buy. Is one just a newer model or something? THANKS
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it's pretty similar to the Polar F6. However, you don't have to send it away to get the battery changed and you can use it while swimming. Amazon has some pretty decent prices for either of them. I have the Polar FT7 and I got mine from REI for $93 during a membership sale. I mostly see them for around $109. I love it and I was happy to discover that my numbers were very close to what my treadmill had been giving me instead of being way off (which a lot of people unfortunately find).