How we perceive ourselves versus how we really look.

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    When I was 260lbs+ I thought I was much thinner, now I am 170lbs I feel much larger.

Yay for brain muddles..

Twins. I didn't feel how big I was when I was at my largest. I kept my largest pair of pants that I was bursting out of. I can't wrap my mind around it now, because I can get a sense of it at this point.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    When I was 260lbs+ I thought I was much thinner, now I am 170lbs I feel much larger.

Yay for brain muddles..

Twins. I didn't feel how big I was when I was at my largest. I kept my largest pair of pants that I was bursting out of. I can't wrap my mind around it now, because I can get a sense of it at this point.

Room for me in this? I swear my body shape hasnt changed at all except to inflate a little in ym tummy area but sometimes i think i take cuter pics...I guess. I never had clothes to check though i only ever wore yoga pants XD
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yay for brain muddles..

This is sort of me. I'm now buying UK10/US6 clothes and cannot fathom how I can cram myself in there and yet, they mostly fit just fine with room for a bit of shrinkage as I continue to lose. I think I look quite good fully clothed but naked, man that changes hourly! I think I'm going to have to get pretty much to goal before I stop looking in the mirror and thinking I'm much bigger than I am in reality. I guess not being a youthful firm 20 year old doesn't help, ha!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Yay for brain muddles..

Room for me in this? I swear my body shape hasnt changed at all except to inflate a little in ym tummy area but sometimes i think i take cuter pics...I guess. I never had clothes to check though i only ever wore yoga pants XD

I think for those of us with body shapes that don't changes significantly, it can be harder to see the differences in ourselves because everything shrinks proportionally, so we're basically the same, just taking up less space and getting to grips with what that is in reals is tricky.

Yes. I saw a slight difference after about 50 pounds, but my stomach seems bigger i think because i lost most evenly, And then arms and legs are shrinking now :p Big belly was there all along, But just looks more pronounced for now :D
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Yay for brain muddles..

My body shape has not changed at all since losing 90+lbs. Maybe this is why my brain believes I haven't lost weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yay for brain muddles..

The thing for me is that my body shape did change to some extent from what I was used to. I always had hips that were exactly even with my bust. Now they're 4 inches smaller. They just -- fell off. That's why I can see some of the difference. I can see the point where it changed. I can't see the change after that.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I didnt realize i had back fat till it left me. Only real change iv noticed in 65 pounds. Im 167 now and im very curvy so i cant imagine i have THAT much more to go. The belly fat beter start shrinking before im like a pregnant stick figure XD

Its interesting not realizing we were so big before but second we start changing it all the realization seems to hit and we feel fatter the skinnier we get. Heres hoping its just a phase! lol
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I noticed how slim my knees are while I was driving today. I mean, I still seem to have oddly chunky knees but I was like, wow, where'd the width go all of a sudden?!

That and not need to make sure my face is just so in pictures so I don't look huge. People can just take a picture at any angle and it's totally fine. That surprises me because I thought it was just my face before!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice how much weight I was gaining until I saw photos of myself on vacation. My clothes size hadn't changed, thanks to vanity sizing, so it was easy to fool myself that I wasn't really fat. Until I saw what I look like to the camera.

When I lost the weight (45 lbs), again I didn't feel like I had changed all that much. I see myself naked in the mirror every day and see all the flaws. However, this summer on vacation I saw a photo where you can see my legs and there is a big difference.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    For those saying their body shapes aren't changing or not changing in a flattering way don't forget to do strength exercises!!! It's made a big difference in the way I look this round of weight loss! Last time I just got sort of skinny fat and got smaller but still squishy even though I got down to a size 4. This time I lift weights, do body weight exercise, hiit cardio, etc to maintain muscle so I'm losing mostly fat and my body is looking much more fit this time even though I haven't lost as much yet as last time.

I still jiggle, but I can see muscle underneath that will be revealed in the next 10 or 15 pounds I think. And no I don't look "bulky" for anyone afraid of muscle... it just gives me a nice shape.
  • VintageFeline
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For those saying their body shapes aren't changing or not changing in a flattering way don't forget to do strength exercises!!! It's made a big difference in the way I look this round of weight loss! Last time I just got sort of skinny fat and got smaller but still squishy even though I got down to a size 4. This time I lift weights, do body weight exercise, hiit cardio, etc to maintain muscle so I'm losing mostly fat and my body is looking much more fit this time even though I haven't lost as much yet as last time.

I still jiggle, but I can see muscle underneath that will be revealed in the next 10 or 15 pounds I think. And no I don't look "bulky" for anyone afraid of muscle... it just gives me a nice shape.

I do strength train and have from day one. I'm a former athlete/dancer. My shape is my shape, my age my age, I'm an hourglass, always have been and things aren't as firm at a larger size than in my 20s because gravity. Preaching to the seasoned converted in this thread I think. I just still have body fat that I can obviously see hiding the muscle.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass shape and endomorph body type and mid 30s so I'll never look like a fitness model at this point either- still a good idea to do strength exercises for a nicer shape, strength, muscle, etc. My comment was for anyone who doesn't know the benefits.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I have hit my goal and actually dipped about 6 pounds lower. Some days I feel like I look great, but some days I still feel like I look the same old fat me. Then I have people telling me not to lose any more weight. It gets annoying but then I think maybe I am too thin and I just don't see it. Of course my husband is the only one who has seen my stomach unclothed. I still have some fat there plus some loose skin. At 48 I don't really think it will get much better.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Those are polar opposites of reality for me. Once I enter my age and weight, they assume I'm extremely over weight when actually I'm quite close to a professional athlete near half my age. I'm sure they are off the majority of time for everybody.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My shape has changed, in that I've gone from apple-ish to ruler-ish, possibly heading into inverted triangle territory. No defined waist in any case, which is what I tend to notice most when I look in the mirror. I seem to be holding onto fat in my upper arms/shoulder area. Combined with wider shoulders and back training, I'm starting to have trouble finding tops that fit properly. Sizes that previously fit in the shoulders but were tight in the midsection are now tight in the shoulders and ok in the midsection.