Salad Dressing Suggestions?

I'm looking to increase my veggie intake, as that's one area I need to seriously improve. I've decided to incorporate more salads into my life. When I eat salads, I usually go for ranch or 1000 Island - basically the worst ones. What kind of salad dressing would you recommend that may be similar, but healthier? Is that even possible? I'm somewhat new to the world of salads.

Replies

• rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    If you have a Aldi three cheese vingerette. Yummy. Rasberry vinagerette
  • lwhite0503
    lwhite0503 Posts: 33 Member
    I love the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Look up recipes for homemade yogurt-based dressings and start experimenting.

(I'm a vinaigrette person, so can't help with that.)
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    You can also make your own ranch by combining 1 c. greek yogurt, ranch dressing mix & enough skim milk to get to your preferred thickness for the dressing.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    I've had a idea I've not tried yet (abandoned the salad thing).
    Buy one of those dressing mixes but instead of the more fattening creams to give it the texture, use greek yogurt.
  • toherlimit
    toherlimit Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks, guys! All great suggestions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Bolthouse brand yogurt-based dressings are great.

^ This. They're actually much tastier than any of the "diet" salad dressings I've tried.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I switched to nothing. Salads taste great now!
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Hidden Valley makes ranch and cucumber dill dressings (any maybe others I have not tried) with greek yogurt. Both have around 60 calories for 2 tablespoons. I think they taste pretty good. I also agree that making your own ranch dressing with the seasoning packets is another good option.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Green Goddess is a favorite of mine; you seldom see it anywhere, and when you do it typically doesn't have the anchovies in it. You could make it with low-fat yogurt, or a mix of yogurt and low-fat mayonnaise to bring down the calorie count.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16370/green-goddess-salad-dressing/
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    I like the light or fat-free French or Catalina dressing. And I thin it with a tiny bit of water.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited December 2016
    Ken's - Lite Northern Italian with Basil & Romano Dressing, 2 tablespoons = 45 calories.

And I buy sliced green salad olives 2 tablespoons is 25 calories, packed in water I toss on a few spoonfulls of that too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Nonna Pia's balsamic reductions. I've only tried the lime chili and strawberry fig ones.
    http://nonnapias.com/products/

For taco salads, I use sriracha sauce.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    I eat a dressing from walden farms with zero calories . They have plenty of choices to choose from .
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I eat a dressing from walden farms with zero calories . They have plenty of choices to choose from .

I like their Thousand Island. Maybe not as much as I like the full-fat/Calorie versions, but it's still pretty good.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »

I like their Thousand Island. Maybe not as much as I like the full-fat/Calorie versions, but it's still pretty good.

Yes the regulars are better but if you are watching calories I guess it will do . Lol
  • monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    I LOVE ranch, its my favorite "non diet" dressing. But when I am being "good", I make my own. If you have a really good balsamic vinegar, you can make delicious dressings. This is what I do:

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (flavored ones are fun to use too)
    1-2 tbsp oil (I love walnut oil on salads and avocado works good too. Olive oil has a funny taste to me)
    1/4 tsp ground mustard seed
    pinch of salt and pepper
    pinch of dill (optional) or any other seasonings like basil, rosemary, etc.

If you are eating "clean" you can make your own ranch! I make the Whole 30 ranch and its yummy. You can use Greek Yogurt and spices, but I don't think it's very exciting.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Make your own. Pick an acid (vinegar or lemon juice), oil (I usually do canola or olive, but if you're doing an asian style salad you could even use sesame). Add some salt and pepper (I sometimes use seasoned salt) and some dried herbs. You can continue to play too- I'll add dijon mustard, garlic powder, etc.