Confused about fish oil

Options
I take fish oil pills to hopefully feed my brain!
I don't need it for cholesterol or anything like that.

When I shop for fish oil, there are so many varieties and I'm confused!
Are they pretty much all about the same?

Here is what I usually buy:
https://well.ca/products/jamieson-omega-3-select-bonus-pack_33775.html

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat fish!
  • TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Very good point, but I don't eat meat or fish :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Why?

I second this. OP do you have a medical condition, or are you vegan?

And why was this flagged? It's a valid question.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why?

I second this. OP do you have a medical condition, or are you vegan?

And why was this flagged? It's a valid question.

Vegans would avoid fish oil -- there are algae-derived DHA supplements we can take for brain/heart health.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think the only difference between fish oil caps will be the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids they contain. For those in the USA, I'd look for the USP Verified mark on the label. If you're in Canada, I don't know if there's a similar mark to look for.

Someone who's on blood thinner like me (aspirin including coumadin) should avoid using fish oil until they've consulted with their cardiologist since it also acts as a blood thinner and can result in bleeding problems. In general, if you have a medical condition requiring medications, you might want to check with your physician(s) first.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I hate all seafood. I take a krill oil capsule every once in awhile. I give more fish oil to my dogs as anti inflammatory, doctors orders. Can't stand the stench.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals (mine are cholesterol regulation and brain function/mood disorder improvement)...I take a 1200mg fish oil pill with approx 700mg Omega 3 and about half that in DHA/EPA. It looks like yours have roughly the same amounts.

• TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah I guess the question was valid, I understood it as if I was being challenged to eat fish :open_mouth:
    I'm so used to being said 'Ah c'mon eat a steak!' that I just go to ignore immediatly.

I don't mind the fish oil, I'm not vegan, I've just always hated the taste and texture of fish and 99% of meat. (I know, it's very unusual! :P)
    Again, sorry about that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    An alternative to fish oil is ground flax seed which will give you omega 3 and fiber. You can also cook & bake w/it, if you are so inclined.