Green Giant Riced Cauliflower

Has anyone tried it? Someone posted a pic of the bag, I'd like to know what people think of it.

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    I tried it (and posted the pic) and loved it. It has a great light, fluffy texture like well-cooked rice does, the flavor is good, and it doesn't mush together the way homemade cauliflower always does when I make it.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    I love using it, and it's a lot easier than making my own cauliflower rice (I'd pay for the convenience, especially when it's frozen and doesn't go bad right away).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I loved the frozen line, and then it suddenly disappeared from my Shop Rite. There are fresh packages of riced cauliflower from Green Giant there now, but they never look quite fresh enough for me to take the plunge. I'll stick with buying those from Trader Joe's.
  • brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    Amazing! Can basically do anything you want with it and it tastes great! We buy in bulk at Cosco.
  • tamnih20
    tamnih20 Posts: 47 Member
    I really liked it.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 852 Member
    It doesn't taste like rice, but I liked it :) It's a pretty mellow flavor and I like seasoning it with soy sauce or Worchester sauce then adding meat or steamed veggies ^_^ It's really good in soups too!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I loved the frozen line, and then it suddenly disappeared from my Shop Rite. There are fresh packages of riced cauliflower from Green Giant there now, but they never look quite fresh enough for me to take the plunge. I'll stick with buying those from Trader Joe's.

I see the fresh packages at my store and they never look quite fresh to me either. It's too bad because I would love to try it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If you have a food processor you can rice a fresh cauli pretty quick, and it takes next to no cooking. For stir fry I don't even pre-boil/steam it, it's good with a slight crunch.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I will be hunting these down in the frozen isle. I eat cauliflower each week and these will be great to go with chicken/beef/etc. as a fried rice substitute without the hassle of having to make it yourself.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    i lovveeeee it!!! i use it all the time tastes way better than rice in stir fries (but I am not a fan of regular rice). best texture is when I bake it in the oven. I love adding it to top salads it adds such a nice texture. I season it with whatever I wanted it to taste like (usually nosalt salt italian seasoning onion powder garlic powder)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I love it- you can flavor it any way you want . for instance you can blend it and use a little cream, butter(light) and this is a nice mashed potatoes substitute or someone mentioned use it for stirfry= great .
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Slightly off topic but related....does anyone sell zuchini or squash that is already spiralized, or that is ready for sauce?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've seen pre-spiralized veg packs but so expensive! If you don't want to shell out $30 for the device there are little cheaper handheld ones that seem to work almost as well.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I've seen pre-spiralized veg packs but so expensive! If you don't want to shell out $30 for the device there are little cheaper handheld ones that seem to work almost as well.

Thanks.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    I don't get why anyone buys prepackaged cauliflower rice. It takes me all of 30 seconds to rice cauliflower using my blender.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but related....does anyone sell zuchini or squash that is already spiralized, or that is ready for sauce?

Kroger and Whole Foods
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    I don't get why anyone buys prepackaged cauliflower rice. It takes me all of 30 seconds to rice cauliflower using my blender.

I don't have a blender. And convenience. Besides, there's almost no price difference

I love to mix the fresh riced cauliflower with scrambled eggs. It's one of my favorites
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

Kroger and Whole Foods

I don't have a blender. And convenience. Besides, there's almost no price difference

I love to mix the fresh riced cauliflower with scrambled eggs. It's one of my favorites

Where do you buy your riced cauliflower? It's twice as expensive where I shop.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

Kroger and Whole Foods

Where do you buy your riced cauliflower? It's twice as expensive where I shop.

Frozen at Trader Joe's, $1.99 for a 10 or 12 oz bag. Fresh at Target, Kroger, Aldi.. around $2.99 for a 16 oz bag, I believe. It costs over $3 to buy a head of cauliflower
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Wegmans does.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member

For me it's laziness. I buy 2 heads of cauliflower a week, and generally cut half a head up for dinner, put a couple tbsp of olive oil on the florets, add salt and pepper, and bake at 400F until it gets a little brown around the edges. I eat it as a side, and sometimes even mix a little Frank's hot sauce with some fat free ranch for dipping sauce (or maybe just some fat free ranch by itself). I love cauliflower fried rice, but it is a pain to make so I almost never do it. With the frozen stuff I'm hoping (I have not tried it yet) that it'll be a quick and easy rice substitute which won't take much prep to use. The only thing I dislike about it being frozen and pre-packaged is they'll add sodium as a preservative. But I'd probably add salt anyway.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I admit I'm puzzled about the whole 'veggies must have a specific shape' thing. I can buy a bag of frozen cauliflower for $1 (which isn't outrageous when a small cauliflower is $3)... does it really matter if it looks like rice or not? I'll save the $2, thank you! It's still cauliflower. Same for spiraling everything... my zucchini chunks taste just the same as zucchini 'noodles'.

I'd totally buy it at $1 a bag though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I admit I'm puzzled about the whole 'veggies must have a specific shape' thing. I can buy a bag of frozen cauliflower for $1 (which isn't outrageous when a small cauliflower is $3)... does it really matter if it looks like rice or not? I'll save the $2, thank you! It's still cauliflower. Same for spiraling everything... my zucchini chunks taste just the same as zucchini 'noodles'.

I'm the same way, and I actually prefer cauliflower's texture in the chunks rather than all tiny (or mashed). I think people just feel like a stir fry is incomplete without the rice and need a substitute, but I think that's just habit. Possibly it is a texture thing, I suppose.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm the same way, and I actually prefer cauliflower's texture in the chunks rather than all tiny (or mashed). I think people just feel like a stir fry is incomplete without the rice and need a substitute, but I think that's just habit. Possibly it is a texture thing, I suppose.

It's a texture thing. Additionally, the riced cauliflower sold frozen is usually made from the core of the cauliflower (after they've chopped off the florets to sell elsewhere) so it's crunchier.