Who is healthy BMI but stuck with belly fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    mandibland wrote: »
    If you're retaining weight in your belly area, are you doing exercises that directly target the core? Past a certain age it is difficult to lose belly fat and if you lose weight too fast it results in excess skin. I usually lose weight in my mid-section last as well.

You can't spot reduce fat. And at what age does it become difficult to lose belly fat? I've never heard that one before :p

Women over 40 are more likely to store fat in their stomach area.

I've never heard of this, interesting. OP and I are both in our 30s, looks like we only have a few more good years left in us :(

Don't worry. Once you're a 40 year old woman you're invisible anyway so the extra stomach fat doesn't matter.

(Kidding!)

This seriously made me laugh out loud :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you're retaining weight in your belly area, are you doing exercises that directly target the core? Past a certain age it is difficult to lose belly fat and if you lose weight too fast it results in excess skin. I usually lose weight in my mid-section last as well.

You can't spot reduce fat. And at what age does it become difficult to lose belly fat? I've never heard that one before :p

I've never heard of this, interesting. OP and I are both in our 30s, looks like we only have a few more good years left in us :(

I'm well into my 40's and I don't have a bunch of excess belly fat. It's not necessarily a woman thing (check out all those dudes with beer bellies all over the place) or a 40 plus thing (plenty of young people with bellies these days.) It's more of a weight/body fat thing. If you want to look lean and get rid of extra pudge, you have to get your body fat down and your lean mass up. I will agree that it seems more likely for older people to have more belly fat. That might be because people tend get more sedentary/less active as they age... :)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage.

Since that's what people generally mean when they complain about "excess skin"...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage.

Since that's what people generally mean when they complain about "excess skin"...

Truly excess skin is a permanent condition, barring surgery. Skin that has not been given time to shrink as much as possible is not the same thing.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I wish I could reverse my crappy apple shaped genetics. I dont care what anyone says, pears and hour glass women are lucky.

Lmao! I see many pears complain about thighs and booty!

I wish that a had a booty to speak of.
    That vanished as soon as my crappy genetics found out I was eating less. How can you lose five pounds of a $ $ overnight

Edit: mfp cut me off mid rant!
    I'm getting lipo if it doesn't go away in a year, good luck.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options

Don't worry. Once you're a 40 year old woman you're invisible anyway so the extra stomach fat doesn't matter.

(Kidding!)

This seriously made me laugh out loud :D

It had me silently giggling with my belly jiggling :)

Re the over 40 and excess abdominal fat. This is related to the hormonal changes leading to and during menopause. The levels in testosterone increase as the levels in eostrogen etc decrease, this leads to more visceral fat (men's beer bellies) and less subcutaneous fat. Because of this women over 40 who put on weight tend to do it in a more 'masculine' pattern- around the organs.

Visceral fat is one of the first fats to be lost when restricting calories and exercising (notice how a guy can drop his beer belly relatively fast). But there is still the abdominal subcutaneous fat to be lost. A calorie deficit deals with this too. It just takes longer.

For an apple shape it is difficult. Personally, as an apple, I have decided to accept that I will never have a flat stomach, but work on having the best one I can. I am in maintenance and am working on a very slow recomp.

Im over 60 anyway so absolutely no one cares, hahaha.

Cheers, h.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I would just recommend more cardio. I learned to jog/run through the Couch 2 5 K running program and it has really efficiently made me lose fat, including my belly fat. Unfortunately, walking is not got exactly gonna melt the fat really fast. I recommend more intense cardio. & a little bit of strength training (1-2 times a week), just to help you increase your metabolism & burn calories more efficiently. Also don't forget about your diet. Ever heard the saying "Abs are made in the kitchen"? Well, they are. So also make sure you're eating at least 80% of clean nutritious wholesome food. If you do all this, I see no reason why you won't melt that belly fat & body fat overall. Good luck.
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For all of you asking how I know my BMI - I am 5'9" tall and I used 155lbs to get a BMI of 23. I could actually be 150 or 160lbs though..shouldn't make much diff in the bmi i result right?
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    No idea what you call my shape. My measurements are 36-29-42 (bust, waist, hips) Im guess on the hips though...I will measure later
  • jemhh
    Options
    For all of you asking how I know my BMI - I am 5'9" tall and I used 155lbs to get a BMI of 23. I could actually be 150 or 160lbs though..shouldn't make much diff in the bmi i result right?

150 = 22.2 BMI
    155 = 22.9 BMI
    160 = 23.6 BMI

It makes a difference but you're in the normal BMI range either way. If your clothes are getting progressively looser at this point, it is safe to assume that your BMI is not increasing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

150 = 22.2 BMI
    155 = 22.9 BMI
    160 = 23.6 BMI

It makes a difference but you're in the normal BMI range either way. If your clothes are getting progressively looser at this point, it is safe to assume that your BMI is not increasing.

And that's if OP's estimation of 150-160 is accurate. Since OP isn't weighing, it's just a guess. OP could very well be 147, or 166, or some other number.

Is September the last time you weighed? That's what it seems like, based on info given in OP, but I don't want to just assume that's the case.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong here, but I'm not sure using BMI as a guide is really worth it. Mine is 26.6, overweight at 5'9" tall and 180lbs, but I wear 32" waist jeans and can do 8 chin ups with good form lol. Ok, I struggle on the last 2 :)

I do have a few lbs (I think) of excess weight I wouldn't mind losing, but, maybe just go by a different guideline. Get to where you're happy with how you look, and healthy. Maintain. Win. :)

I know someone here will correct me if I'm wrong on that lol.
  • jemhh
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

150 = 22.2 BMI
    155 = 22.9 BMI
    160 = 23.6 BMI

And that's if OP's estimation of 150-160 is accurate. Since OP isn't weighing, it's just a guess. OP could very well be 147, or 166, or some other number.

Is September the last time you weighed? That's what it seems like, based on info given in OP, but I don't want to just assume that's the case.

I was guessing that when she weighed herself in September she was 160. She says that her clothes are looser and that she has been eating 1400 calories since then, going over once or twice a week. I feel like it is pretty safe to say that her BMI is not actually increasing at this point.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 15 pounds under the higher normal BMI weight and I still have belly fat (but there's so much loose skin anyway, it just looks worse when I lose, so I don't really care).

I do agree that it depends on genetics too. Pear shapes will naturally have a flatter belly. I pretty much carry the 5lbs of fat I'd want to lose in my hips and belly, personally.

But body fat % is a better way of finding a goal, it's just pretty much impossible to figure it out accurately (unless you want to spend money to get it measured, but even then.. it won't tell you where the extra fat is!).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage. At its best, it decreases the risk of permanently loose skin since it cuts down on the time the skin is stretched.

That has to be one of the most irritating diet myths I read on this board.

Yeah, I think that since the way the most people lose belly size is by giving birth, and that doesn't cause loose skin on most, it can't have that much to do with how fast or slow you lose.

Oh, and no matter how thin I am there is *some* belly fat, that's just where the fat goes. I can be small enough to lose my butt and not be able to find clothes to fit me, and still there will be some squish there. Bodies need some fat, and unfortunately we can't move it around to where we want it.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss does not result in excess skin. At its worst, it results in fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage. At its best, it decreases the risk of permanently loose skin since it cuts down on the time the skin is stretched.

I guess it depends on your skin type/genetics though? I started dieting 4 years ago and even though my weightloss was slow I still have loose skin and look more flabby then I did when I was almost obese.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Eleonora91 wrote: »

I guess it depends on your skin type/genetics though? I started dieting 4 years ago and even though my weightloss was slow I still have loose skin and look more flabby then I did when I was almost obese.

Yes, it depends a lot on genetics. Genetics, how big you were, how long you were big, and age. Not whether you lost slowly or quickly or lifted weights or dry brushed your skin or used wraps. Once you are overweight, the damage is done. Nothing short of a time machine or skin removal surgery will erase it.

But many many people have fairly minimal skin issues and of those who have more than minimal excess skin, most say they'd rather have it than go back to their old weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    BMI only accounts for height and weight. It DOESN'T account for what your muscle to fat ratio in your body is. I'm considered borderline obese for my height. You can definitely tell by my photos that I'm in the obese category. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GuessIgottalog
    Options
    Turns out im 70kgs...i stepped on the scale at doctors...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    With or without shoes, clothes, and breakfast?