Should I Eat Only When Hungry?

Options
My dad cooks breakfast and dinner for the family when he's home. When he leaves I cook breakfast and dinner for my mother and me. Mostly everyday I eat because the meal my dad made is already cooked and ready to eat, I'm already cooking my mom something or because I'm bored. If I only ate when I felt hungry it would probably be one meal a day and that meal would probably be < 1000 calories. I don't know if I feel this way because I'm mostly depressed and sedentary everyday. I read that depression decreases your appetite. Maybe I no longer have an appetite. Should I force myself to eat at least three meals a day or should I eat only when hungry even if that means I only eat one meal a day?What should I do?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think you should find a professional to talk to about why you feel the way you do...but yes, you should probably eat more than you are eating even if you aren't hungry
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily three meals, but you should eat enough to fuel your body. Minimum 1200 calories, if not more due to your size.

Are you undergoing treatment for your depression?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can eat as many or as few meals a day as you like, that's fine. But eating less than 1000 calories a day is worrisome. That's below the minimum healthy recommended amount unless you're under a doctor's supervision and you can run into all kinds of problems (nutrition deficiencies, brittle nails, hair loss, increased lethargy, even worse depression, etc.). You need to find a way to eat that will let you get enough calories into your day.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Have you had blood work done recently? Depression can be a mental thing, but it can also be linked to other things as well. I would suggest seeing a doctor, if you haven't recently, just as a check up and ask to be referred to a nutritionist or dietician if your insurance will cover it.

Edited to add that the depression I talk about is based on my own experience. You may be experiencing something completely different. I don't want to come off as dismissing your issues or making something out of nothing if that's the case.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,072 Member
    Options
    Less than 1000 calories a day is way too little. Can you bump it up to 1800 or so? (I'm assuming you're a youngish man...)

Then I think you should address the depression.

Can you talk to someone about it? Are you in school? If so, there are counselors. Do you have insurance? You could see your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

You don't need to stay depressed, there are lots of different therapies to help and you deserve to feel good and to address whatever other problems you feel are challenging you right now.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,072 Member
    Options
    ...and it doesn't really matter if you eat one meal or three...it does matter that you get decent nutrition. Lack of nutritious food can also cause depression. Lots of fruits and vegetables!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You should consider seeing a professional for help with your depression.

Are you eating 4 full breakfasts/dinners each day - the one your dad prepares in addition to the one you prepare? If you aren't losing weight, you're likely eating enough whether you have one meal or four. Nutritionally, you should get at least 1200-1500 calories per day unless you're under a doctor's supervision.

There's nothing wrong with eating only when you're hungry, but people with untreated depression may find that they aren't eating enough and rapidly lose weight (or eating to excess and gaining) - this can be caused by using food in attempt to feel something or try to obtain comfort, apathy or a void-type feeling, feeling overwhelmed, feeling worthless, feeling sick from anxiety, or untreated past trauma.

Taking care of mental health issues is probably going to make it much easier for you to reach your weight loss, nutritional, and fitness goals. It might be very hard to focus on planning meals, creating new habits, etc. when you're suffering from depression. Increasing your activity is often one of the standard first suggestions for improving mental health, so if you can, try to start walking a little more or doing what you're capable of.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Depression can absolutely affect appetite, both too much and too little. And if depression is affecting you--and it is--get some help with it.

Personally, I'd recommend committing to 3 meals of healthy real food. Even if it's just a little for two of your meals. It's taking care of yourself and that's important when dealing with these issues. Nutrition really matters, too, because if your body is in a funk because you are eating poorly, it is pretty easy to get in a spiral of depression causing bad eating causing more depression...well, you get the idea.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    When you have logged you have recorded huge amounts of food. So don't try to fool yourself. Log everything and just start sticking with it. Yiu are on step 1 and you're asking about step 15.

At 500 lbs you are not eating any 1100 calories a day. You are eating 4000+
  • sophiamasonm
    sophiamasonm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 3 times meal per day it's normal. Even for me I took about 5 meals per day. You should increase your taste of appetite.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My dad cooks breakfast and dinner for the family when he's home. When he leaves I cook breakfast and dinner for my mother and me. Mostly everyday I eat because the meal my dad made is already cooked and ready to eat, I'm already cooking my mom something or because I'm bored. If I only ate when I felt hungry it would probably be one meal a day and that meal would probably be < 1000 calories. I don't know if I feel this way because I'm mostly depressed and sedentary everyday. I read that depression decreases your appetite. Maybe I no longer have an appetite. Should I force myself to eat at least three meals a day or should I eat only when hungry even if that means I only eat one meal a day?What should I do?

Regular exercise does wonders for my depression. I started walking 20 minutes a day, and can now do 75 minutes, plus hills. I also take an antidepressant, Wellbutrin. This is a little speedy and so helps motivate me to move.

I encourage you to see a doctor about your depression and also get a referral to a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist, which doesn't require any sort of certification.)

How tall are you?

cardio-exercise.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

You should eat enough calories. Go with the calorie goal MFP gives you.
    You can can consume all of your calories in 1 meal or 6 meals. Doesn't matter how you split them up.
    If you have trouble reaching your calorie goal due to decreased appetite then eat more calorie dense foods or drink some of your calories (milk, juice, smoothies). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    If you are depressed then seek treatment. Therapy and/or medication can make a difference.