Eat back cardio calories?

Options
If I consume 1500 cals a day. Approx a 500 diet deficit. Work out 500-600 cal doing cardio. Should I eat back at least 200 calories so I dont go into starvation mode. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you don't eat back the calories you'll be in a higher deficit. Unless that's what you want. Just be sure the calorie burns are accurate, they aren't most of the time. Some people eat back 50% of them at first for a while then adjust based on their rate of weight loss. Unless you add in your exercise when calculating your deficit for MFP, then you should eat them back.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you don't eat back the calories you'll be in a higher deficit. Unless that's what you want. Just be sure the calorie burns are accurate, they aren't most of the time. Some people eat back 50% of them at first for a while then adjust based on their rate of weight loss. Unless you add in your exercise when calculating your deficit for MFP, then you should eat them back.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nope
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode won't happen, but you should still eat some back to fuel your body
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Forget about the starvation mode thing...

As for eating back exercise calories, I'm all over the place! Sometimes i eat half, some, none or ALL of them, i go by appetite on the day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Because you want to be healthy.

MFP already gives you a deficit before exercise.

It's the same answer no matter how many times you ask.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat at least some of them back, you'll be so hungry you'll end up quitting the diet and eating more than you want. Better to do it with control than because you're starving.