Garmin fenix 3 and FR 920XT

The fenix 3 is a lot more expensive than the FR920XT, yet it is much more common it seems. What are the advantages of the fenix 3 over the FR 920XT? Thanks.

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    DC Rainmaker site has reviews of both as well as comparative information among multisport watches. That may be a good place to start.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I have a fenix3 and a fenix3 HR. Had nothing but issues with both, and although the major issues seem to have been resolved, Garmin devices in general are very inconsistent, and I cannot trust using mine anymore. I did a very intense 7.5 mile power walk/jog interval workout the other week and when I went to save the workout at the end, the watch rebooted and lost the entire workout. There are times when the servers went down for days at a time and left the watch pretty much useless.

I gave these devices many chances over a hear and a half, and every single time they have let me down in one way or another.

After my fenix3 HR lost my workout I could not trust using it any more so I ordered a Suunto Ambit3 Peak (with chest strap heart rate monitor) from Amazon for $325.00. I have had zero issues with the Ambit3 peak so far, and it seems to be extremely accurate and consistent.

If you intend on using a device to record your workouts accurately, consistently, and every time, I would not go with fenix3. I have never owned the 920XT, but I have tried other Garmin devices and have had similar issues with them. Garmin devices seem to be very well build solid devices, but the software suffers to the point that you don't know what's going to happen next.

If you look at the reviews from all these big name reviewers, just remember that they probably get free devices (and possibly money) from certain companies and maybe not other companies. I am not saying they outright lie, but their opinions may be swayed to a certain extent.

This is just my experience, and others may vary.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If you look at the reviews from all these big name reviewers, just remember that they probably get free devices (and possibly money) from certain companies and maybe not other companies. I am not saying they outright lie, but their opinions may be swayed to a certain extent.

DCR is very open about this, he receives trial versions of the devices, and once his trial is finished he returns them to the manufacturer. If he likes something he'll buy one. He frequently identifies those that he's bought himself as well.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    The fenix 3 is a lot more expensive than the FR920XT, yet it is much more common it seems. What are the advantages of the fenix 3 over the FR 920XT? Thanks.

Some of it the look, the 920XT is quite clearly a sports watch, whereas the Fenix has variants that are more suited to more general use without looking out of place.

The 920XT is firmly a multisport device, the strengths are in ease of transition from swim to bike to run and recording that as a single event. The Fenix can do all three of those, but it doesn't work as well in combining them. The Fenix has some navigation features that the 920XT doesn't have.

What I'd say also is that the 920XT is now obsolescent, having been superceded by the 735XT this season.

UK pricing for all three is broadly comparable.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    I have a fenix3 and a fenix3 HR. Had nothing but issues with both, and although the major issues seem to have been resolved, Garmin devices in general are very inconsistent, and I cannot trust using mine anymore. I did a very intense 7.5 mile power walk/jog interval workout the other week and when I went to save the workout at the end, the watch rebooted and lost the entire workout. There are times when the servers went down for days at a time and left the watch pretty much useless.

I gave these devices many chances over a hear and a half, and every single time they have let me down in one way or another.

After my fenix3 HR lost my workout I could not trust using it any more so I ordered a Suunto Ambit3 Peak (with chest strap heart rate monitor) from Amazon for $325.00. I have had zero issues with the Ambit3 peak so far, and it seems to be extremely accurate and consistent.

If you intend on using a device to record your workouts accurately, consistently, and every time, I would not go with fenix3. I have never owned the 920XT, but I have tried other Garmin devices and have had similar issues with them. Garmin devices seem to be very well build solid devices, but the software suffers to the point that you don't know what's going to happen next.

This is just my experience, and others may vary.

Experiences definitely vary. I've had my Fenix 3 HR for almost a year and I love it. I use it for every workout, including strength training, HIIT, and mountain biking. I've never had it shut down or freeze. It works flawlessly with MFP. Waterproof. Tough. Decent app store. Long battery life. I did have some issues early on with accuracy, but updates have put those issues far in the rearview.

I've heard good things about Suunto as well but I've never owned one.

To answer the op question, I agree DC Rainmaker is the best source of all things Garmin. He does get some kickback from sales but it doesn't seem to affect his objectivity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Fenix 3 can detect your LTHR when you run. 920XT can't.
  • NorthCascades
    I've had a Fenix 3 for just shy of 2 years. It's a fantastic device, the best watch I've ever owned. It's remarkably stable. Very good hiking and backpacking watch, it talks to my power meter on the bike, does a pretty good job with swimming (even tracks my HR through the water), gives turn-by-turn directions, the thing is indestructible, looks pretty good, and fits under a dress shirt or a down sweater.

The downside is it's not so good at measuring distance under heavy tree cover.

It supports maps in a basic way.

27386482953_4e9f0bc0e6_o_d.jpg

This is one of the (many) navigation screens. It was telling me to pace myself going up the hill; I'd already gone 602 feet up but had 2,906 feet of ascent ahead of me. The red arrow (at about 5 minutes past) points in the direction your course says you need to go - no coincidence it's pointing down the road.

27925337523_43a0a6c0c9_o_d.jpg
  • OldAssDude
    Perhaps I was a little harsh about the fenix3 HR, but only because I have had so many bad things happen with many of the software updates. It has gotten a lot better with updates, but every time a new update comes out, I give it another chance and something else goes wrong.

I do love the features and am going to give mine another chance because of this thread. I just upgraded it to the newest BETA, and I just hope it does not let me down this time.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    I have had the Fenix3 for almost a year and love it. They continue to add features which is great. I pair it with a scosche rhythm+ armband hrm. I'd highly recommend both.
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2016
    I've had my Fenix 3 for over a year and I love it. I run 5 days a week, hike regularly, swim occasionally, and also track my yoga and strength training activities with it. I haven't lost an activity. It's true I've had some hiccups with updates, but I was able to find workarounds until the next update by reading the forums. I also had one issue (with VO2 max not calculating) and called Garmin after not being able to find answers on the forums - they patiently helped me troubleshoot and resolve the issue - I couldn't have been happier with their customer service.

I don't have any experience with the FR920XT, but I would also highly recommend DC Rainmaker's reviews & blog - he's well worth the read.
  • OldAssDude
    Perhaps I was a little harsh about the fenix3 HR, but only because I have had so many bad things happen with many of the software updates. It has gotten a lot better with updates, but every time a new update comes out, I give it another chance and something else goes wrong.

I do love the features and am going to give mine another chance because of this thread. I just upgraded it to the newest BETA, and I just hope it does not let me down this time.

Well I gave it another chance, and when I paired it with my phone it kept prompting me with the pairing number. Then it would pair and prompt me with the number again, and again, and again. It kept doing that until I un-paired my Suunto Ambit3 Peak. Then, after I paired my Garmi HRM-Run heart rate monitor to the watch, the optical heart rate sensor stayed on and would not shut off. I finally just powered it off and put it back in the drawer.

I'm doing another 7.5 mile power walk/jog interval today, and I just cannot risk using the Garmin fenix3 HR, because if it freaks out and loses the workout again, I would smash it with a hammer, put it in an envelope, and mail it back to Garmin with a hate note.

I think I'm just going to stick with the Ambit3 Peak.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member

Well I gave it another chance, and when I paired it with my phone it kept prompting me with the pairing number. Then it would pair and prompt me with the number again, and again, and again. It kept doing that until I un-paired my Suunto Ambit3 Peak. Then, after I paired my Garmi HRM-Run heart rate monitor to the watch, the optical heart rate sensor stayed on and would not shut off. I finally just powered it off and put it back in the drawer.

I'm doing another 7.5 mile power walk/jog interval today, and I just cannot risk using the Garmin fenix3 HR, because if it freaks out and loses the workout again, I would smash it with a hammer, put it in an envelope, and mail it back to Garmin with a hate note.

Are you running the latest firmware on the watch? Perhaps post on the Garmin forums in the Fenix3 hr section to see if anyone has any suggestions around the connectivity / hrm issues.
  • OldAssDude
    powered85 wrote: »

Are you running the latest firmware on the watch? Perhaps post on the Garmin forums in the Fenix3 hr section to see if anyone has any suggestions around the connectivity / hrm issues.

I appreciate your post and I have been on the fenix3 and fenix3 HR forums many many times over the past year and a half, and have gotten many good suggestions & workarounds for many issues.

The fact is, I'm just getting tired of being let down by the device time after time. I want to love the fenix3 HR, and have given it so many chances, but every time I try to start using it again, it either works great for a while and freaks out for no reason, an update that fixes one thing breaks three other things, or their servers go down again rendering the device just about useless. One time the servers went down for almost a week, and people on the fenic3 forum where begging Garmin for some sort of update, and Garmin just ignored everyone.

I am a software developer and pretty high tech, so I'm not just a user that don't know what to do. But not to worry. There will be a bunch of new devices coming out soon...:)
  • NorthCascades
    I've done at least a thousand activities with my Fenix 3 in the past (almost) two years and it's never lost any of them. Probably just jinxed myself. It has bugs, like any device, but the biggest problems I've had are things like I don't like the way it displays temperature history when you have a particular sensor paired. It's been a fantastic watch for me. I'm sorry bcalvanese seems to have had so much trouble with his. It's probably a dud unit.
  • jjjjemail
    jjjjemail Posts: 6 Member
    My fenix 3 hr has been flawless.
  • NCBWilliams673
    NCBWilliams673 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for your suggestions and information. It is surprising that that watches would have very different apps. You would tend to think you could customize the apps if you wanted to. I have an iPhone and bought an Apple Watch to try to minimize communication errors, but they seem to be app dependent. For instance, the polar beat app seems to be trying to work with my hr strap but then doesn't change from the start screen and then suddenly catches up through several changes at once. Anyhow, I thought I wouldn't mind it but the lift to turn screen on is really annoying during a work out.
  • NCBWilliams673
    Ray Maker of DC. DCRainmaker. Looks like a good blog. Thanks.
  • NCBWilliams673
    I think the Apple Watch may have a lot of potential but I wish they had a lower power always on mode like the garmins do and more of the apps worked and could be stored on the Watch itself. The garmins look like their it a lot of future as well, especially with garmin connect. One of the limitations in an older article was limited apps compared to the Apple Watch but it sounds like garmin connect has gone a long way to remedy that. I'll have to look into the Suunto as well. The altimeter/barometer and compass on the garmins must be nice for hikes.