Lifting Shoes

Replies

• 88Rian
    88Rian Posts: 7 Member
    Nike Metcon 2, flat non compressible sole, very thin. Cossfit and lifting but not really any running.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Super helpful everyone! Another question, because people tend to have different shoes for different types of lifts, if you're doing those lifts in a workout do you bring the different shoes and just change mid workout while you're in the gym? Not something that I'm super concerned about since I'll probably go with one pair of cheap and simple shoes to start with but just curious!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Super helpful everyone! Another question, because people tend to have different shoes for different types of lifts, if you're doing those lifts in a workout do you bring the different shoes and just change mid workout while you're in the gym? Not something that I'm super concerned about since I'll probably go with one pair of cheap and simple shoes to start with but just curious!

yeah, i change shoes mid workout if i have to. but generally my workout is just one type of lift that only requires one pair of shoes. I wear chucks for deads and squats day. And i wear running shoes with a good grip for Bench and upper body day.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited December 2016
    No we only wear one pair, the asics mostly. When I don't wear them, and I'm wearing regular sneakers, I kick em off and just lift in socks.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Yeah I change my shoes. I basically pack a suitcase to go to the gym.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    All my lifting gear stays at the gym, so I'll change shoes if a training session requires it.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Nikki10129 wrote: »

I tend to change my shoes during workouts unless it's my bench/overhead press day. I wear my lifters for bench to aide in leg drive, and they help provide stability for OHP. Since I do heavy deadlifts and light squats on the same day, and light deads and heavy squats, I tend to alternate between my lifters and chuck taylors for those days. It's a mild pain in the tush, but it helps me stay consistent.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Where do you get the Pendlays or Romaleos? I can't find them in the sports stores. Are they only available online?
  • bbell1985
    rileyes wrote: »
    Where do you get the Pendlays or Romaleos? I can't find them in the sports stores. Are they only available online?

Mostly. I was able to try on the adidas oly shoes in the big adidas store but I live in NYC. Even the huge Nike store didn't have the Romaleos.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Mostly. I was able to try on the adidas oly shoes in the big adidas store but I live in NYC. Even the huge Nike store didn't have the Romaleos.

I <3 NY. When I lived there I could find everything I ever needed. Amazon it is. Thank you.
  • bbell1985

I <3 NY. When I lived there I could find everything I ever needed. Amazon it is. Thank you.

Yeah. Everything but oly shoes basically. hehe
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I ordered my Adidas Powerlift 2 from footlocker- I just got the gray/green ones- they were 58? 62 with shipping? SUPER happy- they are a little more narrow than I wanted- but honestly - it was a great "intro" shoe for me. So I'm happy.

I'm confused about the popped collar while deadlifting- in the basement. that would drive me nuts.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member

I've always found oly shoes to be overpriced on Amazon for some reason. I won't claim to be the best bargain shopper but the cheapest prices I've found on Romaleos have been on eastbay.com and roguefitness.com

h11i08nrlom0.jpg
    rqvnhezfr26g.jpg
    tyhmw2qew2tz.jpg
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I've been using Do Win's for squats that I got from Rogue Fitness. I think they were around $80? Love them.
    I've never been a barefoot deadlifter until now, but I'm starting to really prefer that to any shoe.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

I've always found oly shoes to be overpriced on Amazon for some reason. I won't claim to be the best bargain shopper but the cheapest prices I've found on Romaleos have been on eastbay.com and roguefitness.com

h11i08nrlom0.jpg
    rqvnhezfr26g.jpg
    tyhmw2qew2tz.jpg

I agree. Shopping around I got mine off of Rogue for pretty significant savings. They should be here on Wednesday!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member

h11i08nrlom0.jpg
    rqvnhezfr26g.jpg
    tyhmw2qew2tz.jpg

I agree. Shopping around I got mine off of Rogue for pretty significant savings. They should be here on Wednesday!

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. They'll be in my bag before I compete in March though. Looks like Eastbay has free shipping so if I don't find a better deal between now and then, I'll probably go with them.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    OP-it really depends on how "serious" you're going to be about your lifting. If you do some variation of a barbell squat on a regular basis and you have the cash I would highly recommend getting a true weight lifting shoe (Nike Romaleo, Adidas Adipower, etc.) Otherwise, any shoe with a flat, non-compression heel will do - Chuck Taylors, Wrestling shoes, etc.

I personally wear my weight lifting shoes for all the big lifts except for Deadlifts, for which I prefer socks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited December 2016
    VS Athletics, a well rated Olympic lifting shoe that I wear, normally costs $100 and is currently on sale for only $40!!!

http://www.vsathletics.com/store/VS-Athletics-Weightlifting-Shoe.html

They're out of my size (10) or I'd immediately buy another pair. Get 'me while you can!!!

For a review, see: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-5-best-olympic-weightlifting-shoes-for-under-200-in-2012
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I ordered my Adidas Powerlift 2 from footlocker- I just got the gray/green ones- they were 58? 62 with shipping? SUPER happy- they are a little more narrow than I wanted- but honestly - it was a great "intro" shoe for me. So I'm happy.

I'm confused about the popped collar while deadlifting- in the basement. that would drive me nuts.
    Be nice :p

That is my regular winter weights room gear. Yesterday I had a couple of antlers while squatting in the gym for the holiday spirit (didn't have time for selfies). Everybody in my gym know what to expect - the weirdo with the glasses and striped socks. It also fosters a friendly atmosphere with the other members - they often joke about the socks.

Rugby shirts are meant to play rugby and polo. I play polo in the summer and it just absorbs sweat like nothing else and I like the tight sleeves. I started popping collars because the effing bluetooth speakers (the cheap U shaped ones) hang like a dog collar around and I hate seeing it on my neck. The collars hide them.

I don't care about the socks. Or antlers. Nothing wrong with being fun.

it's just the pop collar that I find odd. But I went to a school right next to a preppy school- and popped callers. well. yeah. LOL. it was a thing. LOL