New to working out. Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    People saying you can't spot reduce, yea yea yea, that's all true and whatever. But honestly, if you improve the muscular composition of certain areas, they will lean out. I'm not a fan of crunches, but ab workouts will build up your ab muscles. And as muscles get bigger, they protrude. So if you workout your arms, as they get more muscular, you won't notice the fat so much. You'll see the muscles and the cuts. So while it DOES come down to bodyfat percentage, just lift the weights and you'll see the difference. It's not like you lift weights and build muscle and it doesn't show just because your body fat is the same.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing.

I prefer lifting. There's nothing better than the barbell on my back. RAWR
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    my idea would be to do something. anything. walk. run. pushups in your living room. pull ups in the park. early morning. mid afternoon. 2am. doesn't really matter. pick something, ANYTHING, that you can do and start doing it. plenty of time to get overwhelmed later but right now your problem is that you won't put one foot in front of the other one and get started.

Start. Something.

Anything.

Yep. It's been covered by Dav. If you're looking for ideas, you could try to look in the fitness section of your local library for some books on fitness. Just make sure they are from reputable sources that aren't trying to sell you something. Mayo puts out a great collection of books on health and fitness, and they are pretty unbiased.

Then if you find something that suits you, you could get more information and follow up with more research and questions for the masses. Just remember, take just about everything you get from the masses with a grain of salt. There are very few people on here who will be offering you anything more than anecdotal evidence. Look for good solid evidence-based information whenever possible.