First run

Options
Today I ran 1 mile total I had to run 2 minute walk a minute.I did it in 10 mins. I was so out of breathe, and I have been walking nightly for the past month and a half. I want to run some day, any advise and how much i should up my runs/times, and if I should alternate between running and walking (I also am currently doing the 30 day shred). Thanks for any advise that can be given.

Replies

• baileyaad
    baileyaad Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm also just learning how to run and decided to start a couch to 5k program because I've seen a ton of people talking about it on here. I'm going to be doing it 5 nights a week so that I have two rest days in between.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k 2 years ago and i highly recommend doing that! there is also one you can do after for a 10k. it does alternate between running and walking. super helpful!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    c25k is a great program. I have the app and you run 3 days a week. They tell you not to do back to back days. So I do Monday Wednesday and Friday. I'm on week 3 day 2 and I have seen a big improvement. Good luck!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a set program, I've just been running as much as I can each time to get to 5k, 3 days a week
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Today I ran 1 mile total I had to run 2 minute walk a minute.I did it in 10 mins. I was so out of breathe, and I have been walking nightly for the past month and a half. I want to run some day, any advise and how much i should up my runs/times, and if I should alternate between running and walking (I also am currently doing the 30 day shred). Thanks for any advise that can be given.

Two words........slow down. You should not be out of breath, run at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation.

Many new runners use a run/walk method to get going (many also use it very successfully in races). If you've been walking start adding very short (and slow) running intervals (1 or 2 minutes) with 8 or 10 minutes of walking in between. Gradually add 1 minute at a time to the run intervals and shorten the walking intervals correspondingly. When you can run (slowly) 10 minutes straight, without getting out of breath, you can start building on that.

Slow and steady. Be consistent, run/walk 3 or 4 times per week (cross training - bike, swim, row, weights - is also recommended). Take a recovery day every week (more if needed) where you keep it low impact, low intensity and have fun.

You have a lifetime of running ahead of you, slow down and enjoy the process of becoming a runner.