Scoliosis affecting a few of my lifts... suggestions?

Options
I have issues performing certain lifts properly on my left side thanks to that bugger. Rows of any kind, I can't get the full ROM and the way my body twists it sort of gets in the way of performing it properly. I also have difficulty performing step ups and lunges on that side. Step ups are harder than lunges. Again, the issue is with ROM for these exercises.

It should also be mentioned that my left side is significantly weaker than my right. Now, do I keep performing these exercises with the limited ROM, or do I do something else instead? That's I guess what my question is.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Now, do I keep performing these exercises with the limited ROM, or do I do something else instead?

A third options.. which is what i would do.. it to work on improving your form on those exercises, which i think you can do. But it's probably going to require working with someone very skilled, such as a physical therapist or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree or NASM-CES certification. They will assess what your limitations are, and possibly prescribe corrective exercises to improve your movement.

In the mean time, i would not do exercises with an incorrect path of motion (a shortened ROM is ok). You can do extra reps/sets of lunges & stepups on your weaker side, to help get it up to speed. :smile:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Now, do I keep performing these exercises with the limited ROM, or do I do something else instead?

A third options.. which is what i would do.. it to work on improving your form on those exercises, which i think you can do. But it's probably going to require working with someone very skilled, such as a physical therapist or a personal trainer with a kinesiology degree or NASM-CES certification. They will assess what your limitations are, and possibly prescribe corrective exercises to improve your movement.

In the mean time, i would not do exercises with an incorrect path of motion (a shortened ROM is ok). You can do extra reps/sets of lunges & stepups on your weaker side, to help get it up to speed. :smile:

You said exactly what my issue is... shortened ROM.

The row I can perform properly if I keep it short of where it should go. My body twist gets in the way of performing it properly through the full ROM.

This makes me feel a bit better about things.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you using a barbell or dumbbells? I have scoliosis and find I have to do a bit of dumbbell work on my weaker side (left) to help build some strength there.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do the superman exercise and different plank variations. You don't just have to hold the poses if that bores you, but do repetitions.