what exercises are you changing up during the cold?

Options
I'm just being curious. I like to bike or run in the mornings but have been thinking about going to the gym in the mornings now that it's getting too cold out for me. So my question is...Are you gonna change it up because of the cold? If so, then how?

Replies

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I run less not just because of the cold but also since it gets dark so much earlier in the evenings and I don't like running in the dark. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow, so I'm stocking up on DVDs and online fitness programs for days when the drive to the gym isn't possible.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I live in the southwest desert, so our cold months are really only December and January ("cold" being lows in the 30s and daytime highs in the 50s, lol). So my change up will be wearing sweats and gloves when I run/bicycle. Our major adaptations come in the summer, when 105-115 degree high temps every day make it not such a good idea to run/bike outdoors. You either get your workouts done very early (while it's still only 80-90 degrees), or you take it inside to the treadmill and stationary bike.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Naked fartlek runs are OUT.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    our climate is brutal in the winter, so running is out for most of the 4 months (nov-feb).
    I take it indoors and have a decent elliptical at home, visit the gym a few times a week to use thier cardio equip as well.
    I used to play soccer and basketball in adult leagues but that became a little hard on the body.

Not much else to recommend. Good luck and have fun. Much prefer fresh air but we do what we gotta do.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Naked fartlek runs are OUT.
    Lol what's that? Or do I want to know? Hahaha
  • Mandygring
    Options
    our climate is brutal in the winter, so running is out for most of the 4 months (nov-feb).
    I take it indoors and have a decent elliptical at home, visit the gym a few times a week to use thier cardio equip as well.
    I used to play soccer and basketball in adult leagues but that became a little hard on the body.

Not much else to recommend. Good luck and have fun. Much prefer fresh air but we do what we gotta do.

I am a fan of fresh air and changing scenery compared to being in one place on the treadmill or elliptical. I guess the silver lining is that I might get into whatever show they have on at the time at the gym! Lol

• Mandygring
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    No. I love walking in serious cold and snow. Walking when the snow is falling is my favorite. I just dress for it.

The idea of that sounds wonderful but the cold has really been getting to me this year because I've lost quite a bit of weight already.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Base layers then have layers on top. Multiple thin layers is better than 1 thick layer. Another one I've heard of is wrapping the feet in tinfoil never tried so not sure how good or bad. Also windstopprer can help
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I change from not wearing a hoodie, hat, and gloves to wearing a hoodie, hat and gloves...:)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Unless my goals change, specificity does not change due to weather.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I did all my cardio inside the gym for the past few years but just this last September I took up running. Already completed one half marathon and signed up for a second in feburary so I need to embrace the cold this year! IT can reach -40°C here, my plan is once it hits around -20 I'll take my short runs inside on the treadmill and do my long run outside (once a week) I also need to figure out what clothing works best in different climates. I don't have much winter running gear and a parka would be to warm to run in.
  • Mandygring
    Options
    I did all my cardio inside the gym for the past few years but just this last September I took up running. Already completed one half marathon and signed up for a second in feburary so I need to embrace the cold this year! IT can reach -40°C here, my plan is once it hits around -20 I'll take my short runs inside on the treadmill and do my long run outside (once a week) I also need to figure out what clothing works best in different climates. I don't have much winter running gear and a parka would be to warm to run in.

Congratulations on your half marathon!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have taken up running the past few winters because I hate being hot. If it's really cold I can always find another layer in my closet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    Our river gets crunchy for a few months, making it kinda tough to keep rowing 4 days a week.

I usually cut back a little in the off-season, do a little rowing machine (less fun, plus harder on my aging body, than on-water rowing).I maybe do some strength training & core work. I keep going to twice a week spin classes, and maybe mix in the occasional random walk on nicer days or do some kettlebell or aerobics. Also, I have more time for yoga & stretching, since I'm indoors more.

Retirement is helpful: Lotsa schedule flexibility. Pre-retirement, when my body tolerated it better, I did much more rowing machine & aerobics in the off-season.