NET -9000 CALORIES HELP

Options
So first time posting in here, but I've got a question that's been on my mind for a while.

Basically, its about net calories - currently looking to gain some weight as I'm at 134lbs, 6ft 1 (and male) so a little underweight. I downloaded MFP to help with this, but for some reason I end up over -9000 net calories per week because of my Fitbit calorie adjustment. Because of my job, I walk anywhere from 10 - 14 miles per day, and am trying to eat 2300 - 2500 calories per day. My question is - surely I'm eating enough to see a weight increase, irrespective of the walking? It's not power walking or anything so am just a little unsure.

Any advice would be great!

w59qaknu5y0i.png

x771h7j4ohac.png

9lfe216urqnv.png

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in gaining weight (other than by having ate too much for too long), but with that level of activity I'm sure you need to eat a heck of a lot more to gain. See I'm a 5'1" female (admitedly heavier than you at 181lb) and I'm losing 0.5-1lb a week at 2000-2250 with an average of 19000 steps a day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This where your consistent logging of calorie intake, working with your activity levels correctly both in your setups in MFP and Fitbit to achieve the right surplus to gain. According to your screen shots you are not netting the right amount calories. Approx 4 weeks of logging, will allow you to see if you do gain weight..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am a 5' 9" female, and would probably be losing at an average 12 miles walking and 2400 calories per day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I'm a 135 pounds, female, 5'9", and 45 years old. I have a completely sedentary job and do moderate 45-60 minute workouts six days a week. I eat 2200-2400 to *maintain* my current weight.

I backpack a lot in the summer. When I do that, I may cover 10-15 miles a day. I eat about 4,000-5,000 calories a day when I'm backpacking to maintain my weight.

I am certain you are not eating enough to gain!

I think you probably should be shooting for 3000-4000 calories a day (maybe more!) to gain.
  • ppgfit
    ppgfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As a former person that had trouble gaining weight, you need to eat more. I have been personal training for the last 22 years and there was never a time I could not help someone gain muscle. I think adding a high calorie homemade shake a day would help, especially if you are not a big eater.

• ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Consider that the reference daily intake for maintenance for a average sized man is 2500kcal, and you are (a) taller and (b) much more active than an average man.
  • maxxieee
    maxxieee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I do really appreciate it!

I suppose to me it seems bizarre that I would need to eat much more than that to gain weight, when essentially my BMR sits somewhere around 1650.

Perhaps I can try adding in a few more cals - do you reckon its worth doing this gradually or a big jump?

Thanks!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    BMR means diddly in this instance. Your TDEE is what matters and someone who walks that much is gonna need a LOT of food. Probably closer to 4k.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Doing a quick workup, your TDEE even at completely sedentary is around 2000 calories per day. Add in your activity level and you're easily burning 3000+ per day. Try adjusting your intake to around 3500/day and keep an eye on the scale - if you're still not gaining, bump it up 100 calories or so at a time until you start seeing the results you want.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Doing a quick workup, your TDEE even at completely sedentary is around 2000 calories per day. Add in your activity level and you're easily burning 3000+ per day. Try adjusting your intake to around 3500/day and keep an eye on the scale - if you're still not gaining, bump it up 100 calories or so at a time until you start seeing the results you want.

This ^
    My quick math had you needing anywhere from 3200 - 3500 calories to see gains.
  • maxxieee
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, it just seems crazy to need that much to gain - Previously I was a lot more underweight than this and gained back a lot of it on around 2000, suppose I didn't move this much during the day which I guess would be a factor?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    maxxieee wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, it just seems crazy to need that much to gain - Previously I was a lot more underweight than this and gained back a lot of it on around 2000, suppose I didn't move this much during the day which I guess would be a factor?

Sure it would be. If you weren't walking 10-14 miles per day then and you are now, you've added in a very significant calorie burn.
  • maxxieee
    Options
    I guess it's time to increase the cals then! Just on the back of your advice, would you say jump straight from around 2300/2400 up to 3500 and see what happens? Or increase it up gradually? Just thinking my metabolism probably isn't on fire tbh...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3500 isn't a metabolism that is on fire. It's pretty average for a guy needing to gain.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    BMR means diddly in this instance. Your TDEE is what matters and someone who walks that much is gonna need a LOT of food. Probably closer to 4k.

I concur. At 6'3" 215 lbs currently lower than half your activity level I'm losing weight at 4k daily calories. You need calories bud.
  • maxxieee
    Options
    Great thanks both!

Last question - any ideas on macro split? Is it better to have more carbs or is overall calories just important for now?

Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Your macro split isn't too important. Pick whatever reasonable split works best for you.
  • Bridogg72
    Bridogg72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are not gaining your not eating enough calories. Keep logging your intake and weight for 4 weeks and see if there is a progression. If there's not eat more. Based on the screen shots it looks like your calories are quite low for your need