Recomp question.

Options
I am currently around 10 pounds overweight. I have very low muscle mass, so even going as low as 30 pounds below a normal BMI, I still didn't have the body I wanted. The lowest I got down to was 179 with a BMI of 21.2. I was skinny fat. I didn't look bad with clothes on, you really couldn't tell there was any fat on my stomach, but it was there.

I know that lifting weights and building muscle is the answer to my problem, however I have something else going on. I have MS, and along with that comes severe pain and fatigue. Some days I am lucky enough to have enough energy to just do basic tasks around the house. I've tried exercising before, but I honestly can't even walk five minutes before the pain and fatigue becomes unbearable.

When I get back down to my lowest weight again, I want to do a recomp. I know the process is slow, and the only way I can achieve it, if even possible, will be even slower. I have a good set of resistance bands and a book on exercises. It shows how to work every body part. I don't care if it takes a year or even longer, but would it even be possible to build muscle and lose the remaining fat using them? I plan on eating at maintenance when I get there and getting decent protein.

Does this sound like something I can do? I have no other options and I don't want to settle for skinny fat.

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds like something you can do.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible. However you need to be realistic with your expectations! A male who is un-trained could hope to gain up to 2lbs a month with perfect nutrition (caloric surplus) and progressive training stimulus. You will be eating at maintenance and from what you have written, won't be able to undertake a typical progressive weight training programme.

That being said, any resistance training will improve your body composition and eating at maintenance will prevent any fat gain. Just do what you can do and enjoy the results.