Potassium

Options
So, after checking over the past week, I've noticed even with clean eating I fall short on some vitamins and minerals. I threw in a multivitamin, and it solved most of those issues except for potassium. After reading around the net, I've learned that potassium can't be in supplements at dosages higher than 100 mg due to those who suffer from various ailments. So, I was curious, what do you all eat that's low in calories but packed full of potassium? I'm aware of a banana, but it's not a lot of potassium and I'm hoping for something I can eat twice a day and meet my potassium goals. Thanks in advance, best of luck on your goals.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just an aside, if you're using MFP to calculate your vitamin and mineral intake, be aware that because companies are not required to put the vitamin info on labels, many, even most, of the database entries are missing that information. Also, because it's largely user-entered, many people don't bother to enter the info.

So often people think they're getting way less than they actually are.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Broccoli for the win (457mg/serving)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Potassium is not required on the current nutrition data labels in Canada or the US. Thus, the information here on Potassium amounts is not even close to what you are eating. For example, spinach is high in Potassium, but if you scan through the entries here you will find most list it as having no Potassium at all. The same is true for many other things. In other words, ignore that information, it is highly unlikely you are not getting enough Potassium.
  • ChrisPadgettmfp
    ChrisPadgettmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75 @rileysowner @CafeRacer808 seems you guys are correct- once I read the consensus from you three, decided to go check if my spinach container had the potassium listed, and it didn't. So, makes me feel a little better about that. Thanks, it had been worrying me for a few days honestly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When you add fruit and veggies into your diary, make sure and find the USDA entries, as "most" of these have potassium listed. Still check to make sure though.

I go here to double check:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    USDA entries are very helpful for potassium and other nutritional data. I'm glad I discovered this option for MFP. Before that, I used to look up the full nutritional values on various websites and add the potassium value in by entering "Potassium Pill" and the amount. I still find this this to be an occasional helpful option as well. Once you do either of these, you discover the potassium mounts up very, very nicely.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Best I've found with low calories is Low sodium V8: 700 mg potassium in 5.5 oz

Coconut water: 660 mg in 11 oz

Orange juice, greek yogurt, potatoes are also good sources.

Potassium is now required to be on nutrition labels, but food manufacturers don't have to comply with it until July 2018.

You can find potassium information (and many other nutrients) for foods in the USDA's food database.

I take a diuretic and need to keep up with high potassium foods. If I don't make an effort to maximize it, my potassium level goes too low.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Also, do you drink coffee/tea? They contain potassium too.

"TeaBlack, 8 oz" and "Coffee - Brewed from grounds" both list their potassium content in mfp's data base.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Potassium deficiency is really rare in developed countries. I track it too, but only to force me to eat my vegetables. :)

You're getting more than you think.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    So, after checking over the past week, I've noticed even with clean eating I fall short on some vitamins and minerals. I threw in a multivitamin, and it solved most of those issues except for potassium. After reading around the net, I've learned that potassium can't be in supplements at dosages higher than 100 mg due to those who suffer from various ailments. So, I was curious, what do you all eat that's low in calories but packed full of potassium? I'm aware of a banana, but it's not a lot of potassium and I'm hoping for something I can eat twice a day and meet my potassium goals. Thanks in advance, best of luck on your goals.

It's not because of people "who suffer from various ailments." It's because potassium can damage the stomach lining of healthy people as well as people with ailments, so to get a large enough amount of potassium in a tablet to make a significant impact on your daily needs, along with enough buffering/diluting ingredients to make that much potassium safe, the pill would have to be huge.

As others have said, potassium is not currently required on nutritional labels. Most food has potassium. Even coffee has potassium. If you cook from scratch and mostly use generic entries based on the USDA nutrient database, you'll get a better idea of how much potassium you're getting.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to check your electrolytes via blood test.

If your potassium is normal range, 3.5 - 5 you don't need too supplement it.

Too much potassium can be deadly, just as too little.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

It's not because of people "who suffer from various ailments." It's because potassium can damage the stomach lining of healthy people as well as people with ailments, so to get a large enough amount of potassium in a tablet to make a significant impact on your daily needs, along with enough buffering/diluting ingredients to make that much potassium safe, the pill would have to be huge.

Not exactly. Higher dose oral potassium is prescription only as is can cause cardiac arrest etc if levels get too high (hyperkalemia).

Chlorvescent is the brand name for prescription immediate release potassium (K+) and the dosage is 548mg/tablet.

Span-K is the slow release kind which contains 600mg/tablet.

The reason you can't just buy it is because if you don't NEED K+ supplementation it just might kill you.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I would not assume that potassium deficiency is rare in developed countries. The USDA reports that potassium is one of the most under-consumed nutrients due to the fact that so many people do not eat enough plant-based foods.

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/pdfs/scientific-report-of-the-2015-dietary-guidelines-advisory-committee.pdf

Because of this concern, the FDA has new guidelines where potassium levels are required on food labels with compliance due by July 2018.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm
    "7. Why are vitamin D and potassium being added to the Nutrition Facts label?

Vitamin D and potassium are nutrients Americans don’t always get enough of, according to nationwide food consumption surveys (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/), and when lacking, are associated with increased risk of chronic disease. "

If you eat a lot of plant-based foods, you should be covered. However (present company excluded I am sure! :) ), most people do not eat enough plant-based foods, so it doesn't hurt to take a look at how much potassium you are getting. The RDA according to the American Heart Assoc & Canadian Heart & Stroke is 4,700mg per day, which is a lot. I think it's hard to reach, especially when I am in a calorie deficit.

Here is a nice list of potassium-rich foods: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixb.htm
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Before I had surgery last year they did blood work. They seemed shocked that my potassium level was close to the top of the scale. They told me most surgery patients fell toward the lower half.

I agree...many food entries do not contain the potassium info. Since for health reasons I track mine I have entered my own food entries.

My main source of potassium...V8, Potatoes, Bananas, Beans and Legumes, Broccoli and a diet high in vegetables.

I usually try to get 4700mg(instead of the recommended 3500) to help offset some of the sodium due to high blood pressure.

There are also some protein shakes that are high in potassium.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Potatos, sweet and regular and avocados. I have low potassium due to the water pill I take for blood pressure so I try and get in as much as I can
  • bruckem
    bruckem Posts: 8 Member
    Options

"TeaBlack, 8 oz" and "Coffee - Brewed from grounds" both list their potassium content in mfp's data base.

Coffee has diuretic properties so while it may have potassium it's likely draining it and other electrolytes out negating any potassium benefits it may seem to have. (Info from my neurologist regarding a whole list of diuretics to avoid to maintain electrolyte balance. Benadryl was also a big no-no)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    When I realized that my sod/pot ratios were way out of whack, I started looking for a whole food solution because, as mentioned, potassium supps are a joke. I came up with two options that work for me:
    No Salt. It's basically just potassium chloride.
    My dinner that I now eat every night: a bag of "power greens", which is spinach, bok choy, and chard. I mix it in a pot with a pound of Crimini mushrooms, add 8 oz. of water, and cook to wilt it all down into a stew. You can add any meat to it, and it makes it even better. Without the meat, it comes out to be around 4000 (yes thousand) mg potassium with less than 500mg sodium for around 225 kcals.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    bruckem wrote: »

Coffee has diuretic properties so while it may have potassium it's likely draining it and other electrolytes out negating any potassium benefits it may seem to have. (Info from my neurologist regarding a whole list of diuretics to avoid to maintain electrolyte balance. Benadryl was also a big no-no)

They are not that strong of a diuretic. That is one of the fallacies going around for a long time.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Just to note again. If you are using MFP for your potassium numbers they are useless. The only way to know if your potassium is low because of the inaccuracy of the database is to have a blood test, and it is highly unlikely it is low for the vast majority of people.