Training for a Triathlon In June 2017

Options
Thought anyone else doing triathlons could post here and share success! I have started doing a weekly wrap up post - helps to keep me accountable/motivated. Add me as a friend if you want some support or can share some!

Weekly Training Wrap Up:

Holy I had LOW MOJO earlier this week. Missed one of my scheduled runs when the flannel sheets and cozy bed won out at 5am over cold, windy, driving rain

Replies

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon this year and am considering doing another in 2017...my first one was tough, it was a lot harder than any of the half marathons I've ever done. I'd like to do another and try to PR. The one I would do is in May, and I probably wouldn't start actually training until January or February probably. We have harsh winters so I mostly just maintain fitness indoors rather than train in the winter.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Triathlete here. Only got a 70.3 planned for July next year at the moment but at some point i'll be upping my game to include some other races.

As a Shift worker I very rarely need to do early pre-dawn runs so I tend to not miss too many sessions of running or cycling. Much like the majority of Age-groupers though I find every excuse under the sun to avoid swimming!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    triathlete here too - i have a 70.3 in July (St Andrews) and one in September (Lake Placid 70.3) and then will probably round my schedule out with some sprints and olys (I really want to do the Chicago Tri weekend - super sprint, sprint and oly)...its like an addiction!

I'm the rare age-grouper who loves swimming though
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    I did my first triathlon this year and am considering doing another in 2017...my first one was tough, it was a lot harder than any of the half marathons I've ever done. I'd like to do another and try to PR. The one I would do is in May, and I probably wouldn't start actually training until January or February probably. We have harsh winters so I mostly just maintain fitness indoors rather than train in the winter.

do you have a bike trainer (like a cycleops/kurt kinetic) - probably 85% of my rides are all indoors on the training due to either weather, or just not wanting to risk my life with idiots on the road
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    MaryMoCla wrote: »
    Thought anyone else doing triathlons could post here and share success! I have started doing a weekly wrap up post - helps to keep me accountable/motivated. Add me as a friend if you want some support or can share some!

Weekly Training Wrap Up:

Holy I had LOW MOJO earlier this week. Missed one of my scheduled runs when the flannel sheets and cozy bed won out at 5am over cold, windy, driving rain

i feel you on the low mojo - i've been battling the winter crud - so this last week was a bit of a wash (got 1 swim in and a TRX session) - hopefully this week is better
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Quite often a low mojo is sign of actually needing to take an active recovery week. Generally have 3 weeks solid block increasing the work load then on the 4th week back off. Missing the odd session can do you more good as it gives your body it's needed rest it was proberly needing. So don't worry about it. Next time you go out and train you might actually feel quite good
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Quite often a low mojo is sign of actually needing to take an active recovery week. Generally have 3 weeks solid block increasing the work load then on the 4th week back off. Missing the odd session can do you more good as it gives your body it's needed rest it was proberly needing. So don't worry about it. Next time you go out and train you might actually feel quite good

good advice! by the end of that third week all i want to do is curl up and sleep for 10hours (and there were times during training I fell asleep on the floor...)
  • TheTedExperiment
    Options
    My biggest problem is sleep...I don't get enough. I'll train and train, but just wear my body down until I get sick and then have to take at least a week off to recoup, all of which sets me back in training! I need the stick to sleeping and recovering as ajwcyclist2016 suggests.

So far, I have only signed up for one olympic tri in 2017, but have a few run races and bike rides planned.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    My biggest problem is sleep...I don't get enough. I'll train and train, but just wear my body down until I get sick and then have to take at least a week off to recoup, all of which sets me back in training! I need the stick to sleeping and recovering as ajwcyclist2016 suggests.

So far, I have only signed up for one olympic tri in 2017, but have a few run races and bike rides planned.

sounds like over-training...do you have a coach you work with or how are you developing your training plan?