Vegan for sissies

Options
melissaw78
melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
I am looking for suggestions for vegan foods that are not actually vegetables.

I am as picky about my veggies as a little kid. There, I said it! lol

I know about sprouted grain bread, natural nut butter, and fruits.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat vegetables as a Vegan you will not get a balance of nutrients and are likely to become deficient in certain ones.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You don't like veggies but you want to go on a strict plant-based diet? :)

Here's what I suggest:

1) Don't go vegan. Seriously. At least not yet- you'll starve. If you have moral issues with eating animal products, I suggest learning more about your food tastes.

2) start learning which veggies you like and don't like. Figure out WHY you don't/ didn't like a certain kind of veggie and see if there's a way to make it palatable for you. Don't like it cooked one way? Cook it another. Try it raw. Try it with something else. Experiment.

3) Figure out why you want to eat a certain way. Veganism doesn't always mean being healthy; just like every other personal diet (not losing weight diet, just what you eat), it has to do with personal choices. You can be a perfectly healthy omnivore and an unhealthy vegan.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why do you think being a vegan is the right choice for you? Not trying to be a jerk, but wondering if this is going to be a sustainable choice for you.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for about 6 months once and I didn't eat many vegetables, just overly processed vegan junk food... which I highly suggest you don't do, I started getting extremely light heated when I stood up too fast.

I'm just vegetarian now.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    my vegan friends eat chicken and fish for protein.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    O.o
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'd rethink being vegan if you hate vegetables.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey! When I first went vegan I didn't really like very much vegetables either. I found out later that I liked them if they were cooked a certain way (for example, if the veggies were in a burrito, or a stir-fry with a flavorful sauce), and I found out even later than that that my taste buds had adjusted and I actually adored veggies. I now frequently eat salad, massive bowls of garlic spinach, kale chips, brussels sprouts, eggplant, sweet potato, mushrooms, etc., etc.

One of the things I highly suggest is finding out if you're eating your veggies in a way that does them justice. Even as a veggie-chomping champion now, I can't stand canned or frozen vegetables, or ones that are in those gross steamer bags. Try sauteeing some veggies in oil with some garlic and onion and serving over rice with a dash of soy sauce and some sesame seeds. You might find they are more tolerable.

That said, until you build up a taste for them, you of course need something to get you through to that point. Try tofu and beans, nuts and seeds, fruits like you said, grains (including some fun ones like barley, millet, quinoa, amaranth, etc.) and some convenience foods. Try buying a cookbook that looks really decadent (may I suggest Vegan with a Vengeance?) and trying the recipes. You can start out with 'safe' ones, like black bean burgers, and then work your way towards ones that are veggie heavy.

Like some people said vegetables are truly essential for a healthy vegan diet -- or, in my opinion, any diet. It is all about finding the ways you like them.

Edit: Oh, by the way, another amazing way to eat veggies is to make soup. If you make a pot of soup full of various veggies (particularly milder ones like onion, celery, carrot, potato, etc.) the flavors will blend together and it will be much, much more enjoyable than the alternative. You won't feel like you're just chomping on veggies; instead it will feel like a meal.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for years and anything I can think of that doesn't use vegetables, I consider treats.

Like, mac n cheese (still have carrots and broccoli though), emmmm, hummus on croutons, cinnamon french toast, pancakes, "sausages" and mash, beans and chips, pizza with the cheese left off, but with no toppings...that one's depressing.

You just need to suck it up and stop being fussy :wink:

There are ways to hide vegetables. Grate everything (carrots, courgette, mushrooms, onions, peppers) and use the tiny veg as mince for bolognese and lasagna. Be creative.

It makes no sense that you want to be vegan but hate vegetables. I hated everything as a kid, vegetables and meat. Once I started to cook for myself and actually did more than just destroy all the veg in a pot of salty water and then mash them and throw them on a plate, I realised that vegetables are the most incredible thing in the world. I never met a vegetable I didn't eventually like, you just have to try different ways of cooking them.

I find it best not to go "too vegan" with your foods unless that becomes your natural cooking style. Just think of your favourite foods, and find ways to remove the fluffies and the fishies from it. I can help you in any way I can if you want, just shout.

But I won't cook for you, I can't abide fussy eaters :tongue:

Grow up and stop being a sissy :wink:
  • Prizesteak
    Prizesteak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, long time troller, first time poster. I can't take it anymore. This community is not supportive. Shame on you, community! *withafingerwag*. Search youtube for "Cheap, Clean Eats". Most recipes are vegan. The creator uses creative substitutes, like cauliflower for pizza crust and bananas to make ice cream. Yes, pizza and ice cream. So, I hope these help a little on your way. Either you will be completely vegan in your future or not, but that is not for others to criticize, while you strive for it.
    P.S. Eating chicken and fish is not vegan. That's bologna.

EDIT: I should make an addendum, because some sweet people actually posted some helpful things instead of contradictions, as I was ranting.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi, long time troller, first time poster. I can't take it anymore. This community is not supportive. Shame on you, community! *withafingerwag*. Search youtube for "Cheap, Clean Eats". Most recipes are vegan. The creator uses creative substitutes, like cauliflower for pizza crust and bananas to make ice cream. Yes, pizza and ice cream. So, I hope these help a little on your way. Either you will be completely vegan in your future or not, but that is not for others to criticize, while you strive for it.

Huh? How was anything above not supportive? I think it was great advice and they told her things she NEEDED to hear that will help her make the best decision for her long term O.o
  • Contrarian
    Options

EDIT: I should make an addendum, because some sweet people actually posted some helpful things instead of contradictions, as I was ranting.

I didn't see anything that wasn't "supportive". Someone who decides to be vegan but will not eat vegetables is going to lack a lot of nutrients. That's worrying.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure bologna isn't vegan, either.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

You are not serious right ?
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm not truly going vegan, just looking for more vegan options that I have not tried or thought of before.

I am trying to cut back a lot on meat, and a little bit on dairy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not truly going vegan, just looking for more vegan options that I have not tried or thought of before.

allrecipes.com
    skinnytaste.com
    goudamonster.com
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

That's wonderful! :)

I really like making Raw Spaghetti Bolognese. I use a julienne peeler (a veggie peeler works in a pinch) to make raw Zucchini into "noodles." Before doing that, I let walnuts soak for 4 hours and then blend them with sun dried tomatoes and EVOO and whatever seasonings I desire in a food processor. Serve them over the noodles. It's SO cool, filling and refreshing!

I *HATED* Zucchini for years until I had it raw. Now I love the stuff!
  • Contrarian
    Options
    There are lots of vegan recipes here: http://ohsheglows.com/

Most of them are full of vegetables. Have you tried tempeh?
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for about 6 months once and I didn't eat many vegetables, just overly processed vegan junk food... which I highly suggest you don't do, I started getting extremely light heated when I stood up too fast.

I'm just vegetarian now.
    I read that back and realized how it sounded. I'm not suggesting you not go vegan (or try more vegan options), just don't try to survive on only vegan junk food.