Is it safe to use a fitness tracker during pregnancy?

Options
Hi people,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on safety of fitness trackers during pregnancy. Usually pregnant women are asked to limit their exposure to cell phone radiations. Is it applicable to fitness tracker too?

I have not read any article or anything regarding this. Just a genuine query.

Thanks.

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The manufacturer's guidelines may give you as good an answer as any.
  • A_Patient_Wolf
    A_Patient_Wolf Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer.

I would absolutely not use one, there is no benefit apart from convenience and the cool factor, and many serious health risks for you and the baby.

Your focus should be eating well and moving frequently, with an understanding that the odds are already against you relating to toxins and radiation already in the environment, don´t add to it.

"The short wavelength and rapid oscillation of microwave frequencies make them adept at being able to penetrate living tissue down to a cellular level.

Long-term exposure to microwave radiation has been linked to:

cancer
    leukemia
    brain tumors
    alzheimers
    autism
    ADD
    miscarriages
    birth defects

autoimmune illnesses
    multiple sclerosis
    hair loss
    suicide

Non-Thermal microwave radiation has been shown to affect biological changes within the body. These biological changes happen on a cellular level and their effects can be passed on to offspring via genetic damage (DNA, RNA)."

It's your choice, but I would not.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I didn't during mine. I would ask your OB.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If your fitness tracker emits high levels of radiation, don't use it. My FitBit One is fine. But ask your doctor, not us!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I would absolutely not use one, there is no benefit apart from convenience and the cool factor, and many serious health risks for you and the baby.

Your focus should be eating well and moving frequently, with an understanding that the odds are already against you relating to toxins and radiation already in the environment, don´t add to it.

"The short wavelength and rapid oscillation of microwave frequencies make them adept at being able to penetrate living tissue down to a cellular level.

cancer
    leukemia
    brain tumors
    alzheimers
    autism
    ADD
    miscarriages
    birth defects

autoimmune illnesses
    multiple sclerosis
    hair loss
    suicide

Non-Thermal microwave radiation has been shown to affect biological changes within the body. These biological changes happen on a cellular level and their effects can be passed on to offspring via genetic damage (DNA, RNA)."

Suicide? We're talking about a motion detector. Don't you think that's maybe a little over the top?
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your inputs guys.
    Science/pseudoscience or not, I am of the opinion that it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Unless your fitness tracker is nuclear powered you should be fine. They don't emit radiation. I've been wearing mine continuously for three years and have had no ill effects. I even shower and sleep with it on.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Wait what? How.. I mean.. Why shouldn't it be OK?
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    Science/pseudoscience or not, I am of the opinion that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Okay, looks like your mind is made up.

"I Am Not A Doctor" - but I would guess that the health benefits of maintaining some level of fitness during pregnancy far, far outweight the unfounded or negligible "risks" of minute Bluetooth transmissions.
  • db34fit69
    Options
    Are you going to avoid the sun? Using the microwave in your house? What about wireless internet? What about public wifi? Imagine the risk of entering a Starbucks where they have both microwaves and wifi. What about your cell phone? What about other peoples' cell phones? What about the borax in your mattress? Do you use household cleaners aside from vinegar? Lawn chemicals? Any friends or co-workers smokers? Research has shown that third-hand smoke contains carcinogens (e.g. smokers' skin, clothing, belongings, etc.). My point is that there are 1001 things you encounter on a daily basis that pose a far greater health concern than a fitness tracker. In the end it's your choice, but it is indeed ridiculous to be worried about a fitness tracker and none of the other things you encounter on a daily basis.

Lol, YES. Watch out, there is also arsenic in tap water, rice, meat, and pears (among other things).
  • db34fit69
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    Wait what? How.. I mean.. Why shouldn't it be OK?

There is a section of the population, along with anti-vaccine activists, detox smoothie drinkers, homeopaths, and general anti-science crowd that believe that household devices that use radio transmissions (Wifi, bluetooth, etc etc) are harmful and detrimental to human health. This, despite an overwhelming research consensus that it is absolute rubbish.

See here for an overview.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »

You're correct. Disconnect your house from mains electricity, don't go out in daylight, don't use computers of any sort.

Fwiw, after over 20 years of research there has been no evidence of risk to health from mobile telephony. Given that both ANT+ and Bluetooth work in different frequency ranges and extremely low power you're more at risk from living in areas with a lot of granite.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    "The short wavelength and rapid oscillation of microwave frequencies make them adept at being able to penetrate living tissue down to a cellular level..

Humour me here... Whilst that point is factually correct I don't think the originator was suggesting standing in front of a long range radar for prolonged periods.

Can you point me to some evidence that suggests that ANT+ and Bluetooth have measurable effects on the human body?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

cancer
    leukemia
    brain tumors
    alzheimers
    autism
    ADD
    miscarriages
    birth defects

autoimmune illnesses
    multiple sclerosis
    hair loss
    suicide

Thank you for posting this, I got a good laugh out of it.