The Less You Eat....

Options
Is there any truth in this... the more you eat, the more your stomach stretches in order to accomodate? Hence why much larger people can get through mammoth size portions and need more food in order to feel full? This is why obesity is an on-going problem, the more you eat, the more your stomach stretches, therefore you need even more food to feel full, hence you will carry on getting bigger and bigger?
Is this true that the less you tend to eat, the smaller your stomach? I am finding I can't eat as much as I used to and am feeling full on less. I was unsure if this is a state of mind, or an actual physical occurance?
Thanks,
Opal

Replies

• lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i have heard that its true..that the stomach will get smaller the less u eat. i believe it..but idk
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true. This is why people need to actually eat less when they lose weight, in order to continue to lose.
  • MarjiBMe
    MarjiBMe Posts: 14
    Options
    It is true. The whole physiology of "fullness" is more complicated than simply the size of our stomach & I don't want to bore you with the details, but the stomach is basically 3 layers of muscle. So, just as your other muscles will stretch & shrink, so will the those that compose the stomach. This is actually one of the main reasons why gastric by-pass surgeries fail.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very true - this actually becomes a problem for people who suffer from starvation b/c their stomach atrophies to such an extent that they no longer feel hungry, simply because their stomach has shrunk to the size of a walnut, so although their bodies are in dire need of nutrition, with a few crumbs of food they feel full and can't eat any more.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have to agree your stomach must shrink even after a short time I have been on this site for 2 weeks this coming Tuesday ,but today is my birthday so had a takeaway and some chocolates ! omg I am paying for it now and I left a fair bit of the takeaway ,which usually I dont ,I hate this heavy stuffed feeling ,so wont be doing this again .
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    This is most definitely true! I'm living proof! Haha. It's pathetic to know how fast I get filled up these days. I can go to Taco Bell and get just one taco with a large diet soda, and I'm completely filled up!