Am I doing this correctly?

Hi guys, need some advice. I am a 38 yo female. I am trying to lose 30lbs. I use My Fitness and My Workout. I started my gym membership Nov 1st and watching my calorie intake, 1200 to 1600 depending on how much I burn. I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week in the AM. I work my legs and arms on alternating days and mix in core. I usually hit the treadmill as well, 1 to 2 miles with 4% incline. I lost 7 lbs the first 2 weeks and nothing the 2nd 2 weeks. My friends say this is because I am gaining mussel which weights more then fat and that I should be measuring not weighing myself. Unfortunately I did not measure myself until yesterday. I do feel a little different but not much. My friends say they can see a difference but I feel they are just trying to be encouraging, which I appreciate!
I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to give as much info as possible for advice from everyone here.
Thank you in advance for your help!!
Brandie

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2016
    Well done on losing 7lbs so far. Its early days yet so keep up the good work. After the initial water weight loss the rate of loss usually is 1 - 2lbs a week. As you have less than 30lbs now to lose, 1lb-1.5lbs per week loss would be ideal.

You wont have built any muscle yet, that takes a while but its good that people are noticing you are trimming up already :smile:

Losing weight is all about taking in less calories than we eat, so while its good to exercise, its mostly about how much we eat. Of course any exercise means we are increasing our calorie deficit which aids loss. It also is good for us in so many ways, we feel more energised for one thing and its good for our health in general.

The best advice you will hear on here is to use a food scale to weigh everything. Accurately recording our calorie intake will have the biggest impact on our weight loss.

You should see a loss soon, some weeks the scale wont show it and then other weeks you'll see a nice 'whoosh' :smile: Weight loss isn't linear. For us women especially hormones can mean we hold on to some water weight, also high sodium days, even a tough workout can make us retain water which equals water weight gain, but thats just temporary.

All the best.
  • brandieb3678
    brandieb3678 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you! I will get one today. I do feel like I have a ton more energy, so I think I'll keep the work outside just for that reason!