Breathing issues and anxiety

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been having a very annoying problem for years - feeling that I just can't fill my lungs (unless I yawn). From what I gather, it's caused by anxiety and hyperventilation. I've been doing breathing exercises but it doesn't really seem to help much. It's been going on and off for years and of course the doctors have never found anything wrong (I have asthma too and I admit it's a bit hard at times to be able to distinguish the two).

I'm really not sure what I'm anxious about right now either! It's been bothering me all week end (which wasn't particularly stressful either), it mostly went away yesterday after I spent a few hours with my friends, but today it's back and I don't get it, as I have absolutely no plans, the kids are in school, and I can relax all day (still going to hop on the stationary bike in a bit).

Maybe it's just the stress of the Holidays or something? Ugh.

Anyway, does it happen to anyone else and have you found a sure way of getting rid of it?

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me about the breathing exercises you do? I may be able to give you some tips to ensure they are helpful.
  • Francl27
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Can you tell me about the breathing exercises you do? I may be able to give you some tips to ensure they are helpful.

The 4/7/8 method. Breathe through the nose for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7, then exhale for 8. Rinse and repeat.

I originally read about it because it was supposed to help people fall asleep (it doesn't work at all for me, obviously), then read on how to help hyperventilation and it came up again. So I've been doing in on and off for 2 days now... at least it doesn't seem to be making things worse, lol.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've been having a very annoying problem for years - feeling that I just can't fill my lungs (unless I yawn).

Yawning is a known reaction to what you are talking about and a symptom of stress and anxiety. I always thought I was weird because I noticed years back I yawned a lot when I was stressed. Then I saw Apolo Ohno yawning in competition around 2010, and they did a big piece on it. Made me feel normal, and there was a lot of good information that came after that about breathing and such.

So for me, deep, contentious breathing when stressed is important. When I first started it did not feel natural and really, it wasn't natural. So I had to force myself to take deep breathes and not short breaths. Eventually over time it became the norm and I found in many stressful situations I was a bit more calm and already deep breathing.

Anyway, there is a TON of info out there about all this, including deep breathing exercise you go go along with on YouTube.

All the best.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have had panic and anxiety problems since I was young. I finally was able to become aware of some of what I do to myself with my mind. For example. I have spent days walking around with a rapid heart rate and obsessively checking my pulse through the day. I got a set of books that has really helped me become aware of what I am doing in the way of fanning the flames with my thoughts. It's called, "Calming your anxious mind." This book brings the focus to just observing the panic or anxiety and into what physical sensations are going along with it. I found that once I began practicing this I was better able to keep my wacky physical "symptoms" at bay as well as the panic and anxiety. That doesn't mean I never have a terrible moment or day, it just means I am getting much better at stopping my mind from running away into those dark places that make me wonder if I'm dieing. Here is a link to the book if you are interested. There is a separate small book of "meditations for calming your anxious mind" which I also use from time to time. goodreads.com/book/show/530300.Calming_Your_Anxious_Mind
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get the same problem - in fact, as soon as I saw the title of this post, I knew exactly what it was going to be about. Yes, it's caused by anxiety, and I too get it when I can't necessarily tell that I'm anxious. When it happens, I find a quiet place to meditate for 10 minutes or so, and it usually helps. Maybe try that? I would also recommend looking up "nadi shodhana" on YouTube. It's a pranayama practice (yogic breathing technique) that helps to balance the hemispheres of the brain, and bring calm and balance to the body. I recommend starting the inhale through the left nostril to help pacify the feelings of anxiety. Best of luck to you!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    When you inhale, try to fill your belly first and your lungs last. Does that make sense? Upon exhale, empty the belly first and lungs last.

I found when I brought my breath into my abdomen, my lung capacity increased - it provides more space for the lungs to expand.

I've had that feeling where I can't get enough air in. Sitting with that feeling, I realized that it's because my chest was tensing, not giving my lungs the space they needed.

You could also try it lying on your back, arms relaxed to the side. That may help open your chest.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    When you inhale, try to fill your belly first and your lungs last. Does that make sense? Upon exhale, empty the belly first and lungs last.

I found when I brought my breath into my abdomen, my lung capacity increased - it provides more space for the lungs to expand.

I've had that feeling where I can't get enough air in. Sitting with that feeling, I realized that it's because my chest was tensing, not giving my lungs the space they needed.

You could also try it lying on your back, arms relaxed to the side. That may help open your chest.

^^^^ This makes me think. Try it while lying down. I find if I try these exercises while standing or sitting I can't really get a deep, relaxing pattern going. I find better expansion while lying on my back. I close my eyes, keep my knees bent because my butt is big and it strains my back otherwise, and place my hands either to the sides or on my abdomen and just breathe. Sometimes it works so well I doze off.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Totally a different direction-how's your asthma control? I thought I had bad anxiety and "just a touch" of asthma until my allergist suggested I try pulmicort (an inhaled steroid). I hadn't realized how poorly I was breathing. My FEV tests had always been meh but not awful, and now they're great.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Supplement with some magnesium.
  • Francl27
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Totally a different direction-how's your asthma control? I thought I had bad anxiety and "just a touch" of asthma until my allergist suggested I try pulmicort (an inhaled steroid). I hadn't realized how poorly I was breathing. My FEV tests had always been meh but not awful, and now they're great.

It's well under control. I used to have pulmicort years ago but I use advair now, and I haven't had an attack in a couple years.