So many questions now...net vs TDEE vs BMR cals

Options
When I first found MFP and set up my goals, I was set to a 1200 calorie per day goal. I was also not working out regularly. I ignored the net number and only calculated the BMR value out of curiosity (over 1400 cals). I lost 10 lbs, took a few weeks off from being so strict (focused on maintaining my weight), and have now decided to get back into loss mode. When I hit the 10 lb mark, MFP suggested I recalculate my goals, I don't want to do that because I don't want my ticker to change (I like that it says I only have X amount of pounds left to lose...its stupid, but it does motivate me, and I don't want to see it reset back to 0 lbs lost).

Anyway, I am now rethinking this because I see so many posts telling other people to "eat more" to lose weight and right now, I am working out consistently every other day. I swear I'm competent, but I really don't get it. I did a calculator online not on MFP (but it suggested from another MFP post), and it said I needed 1761 cals to lose weight and ~2000 cals to maintain. Those numbers seem high. I am a bit scared of eating more food regularly, which I sometimes do too (i.e. going out to eat at a special restaurant or at a party). I'm not terribly strict with myself, but I'm trying to take my weight loss journey to the next level for this next 10 lbs. Sooo, if I'm not suppose to only eat 1200 cals per day, what amount should I be going by (should the net calories be 0 daily, should I go by the TDEE, what about is it safe to eat below BMR)? What will happen if I continue using the 1200 cals per day guideline?

Replies

• rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I am researching this right now. My doctor told me that 1200 was fine, but I also have more than 10# to lose. However, when I exercise I do go over 1200--I'm probably around 1400-1500. I have lost about 20# so far doing this. Before I started mfp I was eating more and not losing (even with exercise). So I guess this is fine, but I am still scared of hitting a plateau. I am looking into this...will post more if I get any more info.!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if yo uonly have 10lbs to lose, you hsould set MFP to lose 0.5lbs and eat back exercise cals or work out TDEE -10%, the 2 figures should be fairly close.

you may see a sligh tinitial gain from the actual weight of more food, but then you should start to lose again.

also measure and take pictures, as that is more important and a better measure than scale weight.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the info on 10lbs left to lose...when I get to that point, I do only plan on losing .5 lbs a week (as that seems to be the general consensus on what to do). If you just go by the rule of thumb of calories in should be less than calories out to lose weight, how does eating back exercise calories help you lose weight? It really seems counter-intuitive to me to do this, but if the science proves it works, I am thinking about trying it.

I've got ~20 more lbs to lose. I do take measurements, and I don't beat myself up over the scale fluctuations...what I'm trying to do now is take my understanding of healthy eating and exercising to the next level. I swear the more I read, especially conflicting info, the more confused I get.

I am scared of getting stuck on a plateau too. I don't think I'm to that point yet, but I have read about it happening to so many others, and I know I will be just as discouraged, if it happens to me.