Loving my PT sessions - Wish I'd had done it sooner...

Options
So today was my 5th PT session (my 3rd week) and I am loving it. Two weeks ago I was only able/comfortable to squat and deadlift at 30kg, today I did 45kg for both, I know not super heavy compared to others but squatting/deadlifting at 30kg is the heaviest I've ever done due to not weight training before. My PT is so nice, always watches my form, corrects me if I'm doing something I shouldn't etc.

I feel totally epic when I've done a session with him. However, it is quite pricey and not something I can continue for a lengthy time.

I see him on my lunch hour as that the only time I can do and one session we do Squats, Deadlifts, Inverted Pulls and Pushups about 3-4 times with approx. 6-8 reps! Then on the other session we've been doing Cable Pulls, elevated split squats, assisted pull ups/push downs, again 3-4 times each workout at approx. 6-8 reps....Now I know theres much much more for me to learn but as I said earlier it will become quite pricey if I continue having him.

What did others do when you had PT sessions after they had ended? did you go it alone on the workouts your PT did with you or did you get him to redo you a programme every so often...I really enjoy weights like so much and relly don't want to give it up but cant afford to keep paying for a PT.

Kel

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you: loved my PT sessions but couldn't afford them for too long. I did take a lot of what I learned with me though and have been using it ever since.

1) He taught me to mix up sets and reps and there are various methods (none of which I can remember the official names of right now) instead of just sticking to same # of reps and sets for each move. I learned that to move on to a higher weight it was okay to only do 3 or 4 reps and several sets instead of thinking I had to jump right to 12 or 15 reps, for example.

2) I also learned that I can do MUCH more that I thought I could. He really pushed me and once I stopped letting my mind limit me I was more able to push myself without him. There are limits to that, of course, as you don't want to do an unsafe weight without a spotter.

Either way, good for you! Learn as much as you can and then implement it yourself. When / if you get stagnant save up for another couple sessions next season or next year.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    PTs should be familiar with clients leaving, esp. due to payment/financial aspects of this sort of thing. I suggest you have him/her help you design a program that can set you off on your own in preparation, and perhaps have a check-in session every couple months or whatever works.

I was able to have my first PT for close to 6 months. He was amazing and got me started from nothing/soft marshmallow to essentially doing most of the big lifts comfortably, with increasing weight. He left/moved, and it was right about then that I was sort of ready to not have a PT (money, summer schedule where I do more outdoors than at a gym) so I was OK with that.

Throughout my 6 months with a PT, I did a ton of reading/watching YouTube, and searching the internet on developing your own program. There are definitely programs out there (just search this forum for suggestions; Starting Strength; Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc.), and it's generally thought best to embrace a program that hits all the necessary lifts to ensure that you're on a well-balanced plan.

However, your PT and you know yourself best, and it's likely that you'll have specific things to work on, and that's where you just have to intuitively work in your own needs within a decent program.

For example, I have a significant weakness in my right leg; nerve damage from a back problem. So, I ended up plateauing on my squats, and started doing single-leg exercises to help build up that right leg. Whatever...just keep in mind that the main programs work the following: horizontal pull (rows and the like); horizontal push (bench press and the like); vertical pull (chin-ups and the like); vertical push (overhead press and the like); front legs and back legs (a mash-up of deadlifts, squats, and the like). Other accessory exercises can help you overcome specific weaknesses, and you can always enter into a short-term set of sessions with a trainer to help you figure out your best options for accessories.

And, there are days when I do heavier weights/less reps; and days where I do lighter weights/more reps, just to shake it up a bit, and things work out fine. The main goal is to keep lifting in a sensible way that keeps you on track with whatever your goals may be.