Belly dance!

Options
So, my friends talked me in to taking belly dance classes starting next month. I'm pretty excited about it and eager to learn more. I was hoping to find some friends who dance and maybe get some links to good resources. I am assuming there is much to learn in addition to the physical aspects. Like when I told the instructor I was Googling hip scarves already and she said "don't get a cheap one with coins all over it." :blush: Oops. I didn't even know "cheap belly dance scarves" were a thing!

Replies

• Alyssadleon2
    Alyssadleon2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in any extra links or the process of it as well! I eventually want to take classes myself, it's just not happening in a studio anytime soon. Check out Tiazza belly dancing on Youtube. She's bomb!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Belly dance is a lot of fun and great toning.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi- waves- professional bellydancer here.
    I see you're in Texas- who are you taking class with? I can make some recommendation if you want.

HA- yes cheap belly dance scarves are absolutely a thing- we actually don't allow noisy scarves at all our studio.

Resources?
    Check out Mahin's Daily Bellydance quickies- she's got a lot of GREAT content that she pushes out- it's free.

Suhaila Salimpour has a wonderful resources page- about the history and music and songs every bellydancer should know.

Some CD's for drilling- Electric Oasis 1 and 2 are really great- same with Solace Moon Moth Mixes- they have steady beats for drilling.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I see you're in Texas- who are you taking class with? I can make some recommendation if you want.

HA- yes cheap belly dance scarves are absolutely a thing- we actually don't allow noisy scarves at all our studio.

Resources?
    Check out Mahin's Daily Bellydance quickies- she's got a lot of GREAT content that she pushes out- it's free.

Suhaila Salimpour has a wonderful resources page- about the history and music and songs every bellydancer should know.

Some CD's for drilling- Electric Oasis 1 and 2 are really great- same with Solace Moon Moth Mixes- they have steady beats for drilling.

Thanks! I will check those out. I will be taking classes at "Dauntless Dance" near downtown Houston. I will be bringing a nice quiet scarf. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Looks like a decent studio- I have a friend who dances in Houston- I have been to Austin to Stacy Lizette's studio before. There is a great dance community in Texas for sure.

I hope you enjoy your classes- remember to be kind to yourself- this is new- don't expect to get it all at once!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thank you. I am prepared to be silly, be clumsy, and have a good time. I've checked out a few YouTube tutorials to get an idea of what I will be learning. Isolations will be a new concept for my body for sure. I'm used to having arms and legs going in different directions, but lift the chest, move the arms, shimmy the hips...? Yikes! At least I get to keep my feet on the ground for once!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Just focus on the feet first for traveling- that's the most important thing- music is # 1- then use your feet and the time of the music- the rest of it will come eventually.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I loved my belly dancing classes, I would still be doing them if they were still offered.

I am not well coordinated so I found the concentration level quite intense to start with.

I absolutely loved how it tought me how to move, engage all kinds of abdominal muscles, still credit my belly dancing for having good abs under my layer of fat, and have fun (not be scared of failing in a group class) instead of thinking I was exercising.

I did wear my jingley jangley scarf I got in the Grand Bazzar, Istanbul. Couldn't help it- I loved that thing, it made me smile every time I put it on.

Thanks for those video recommendations @JoRocka. I may just try doing some at home.

Cheers, h.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been belly dancing for 5 years. It's the highlight of my week. Enjoy! And welcome to this beautiful art form x
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Just wanted to say I took my first class on Monday and I really enjoyed it. Coordination is a challenge, but I expected that. The movements themselves came easily enough to me, but I can see things getting a lot more complicated as I advance. Can't wait for my next class! :smiley:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Just wanted to say I took my first class on Monday and I really enjoyed it. Coordination is a challenge, but I expected that. The movements themselves came easily enough to me, but I can see things getting a lot more complicated as I advance. Can't wait for my next class! :smiley:

glad to know it went well!!! keep us posted!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    O man, belly dancing is SO MUCH FUN. When I lived in FL, I took lessons from a woman who used to work at the Epcot Moroccan restaurant. It was super fun and and a GREAT work out. I did however have the jingly scarf! She wore them also. What kind of hip scarf does your teacher recommend?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Resources?

Ah, thank you so much for theses. I will totally look into them. I moved back to NY and my town is pretty albino, so there are no classes :(
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

Resources?

Ah, thank you so much for theses. I will totally look into them. I moved back to NY and my town is pretty albino, so there are no classes :(

Elana Lentini and Asmara and Daliha Carellia are all in NYC- where in NY are you?

I know tons of dancers in NY.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    O man, belly dancing is SO MUCH FUN. When I lived in FL, I took lessons from a woman who used to work at the Epcot Moroccan restaurant. It was super fun and and a GREAT work out. I did however have the jingly scarf! She wore them also. What kind of hip scarf does your teacher recommend?

Quiet ones! :lol: She didn't say they were distracting (though I can totally see that now). She was far more diplomatic. She said they tell on you. If she says "just move your chest" and she hears you jingling, she knows you moved your hips!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    http://www.crimsongypsy.com/collections/bdywear-skirts/products/drawstring-asymmetrical-skirt

these are really awesome- they go over everything and they wear very well. Also- supporting small business!!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks! Ren Faire stuff, too! Oooh!
  • xylia1225
    xylia1225 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hopping into this discussion 7 months later... ;)

Another online resource for belly dance classes is Datura Online. It was started by Rachel Brice and has classes in traditional, tribal, fusion, as well as things like yoga and pilates :)

I started belly dancing in 2012 with an Egyptian belly dance teacher, then discovered American Tribal Style and fell in LOVE
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    it was very popular years ago.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Well, I've stuck with it. In fact, I have my class tonight! I've been dancing for almost seven months now. I really enjoy it. I am still finding the feet to be the most challenging part, but I get there with practice. I think my background with pole and horseback riding has helped because the hip movements come very naturally to me. Undulations have been more of a challenge since I don't have a very flexible spine, but I can make them work. We are starting to get in to layering now, so my brain is getting more of a workout than my body, but I'm having a great time!