Nicotine Addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Chantix, Nicotine Gum, Patches, none of it worked for me until I found e-cigs. The moment I started using them I cut way down and within a week I realized I hadn't smoked a cigarette in days. Two weeks later I gave away the rest of a carton of cigarettes because I no longer needed them. That was the best feeling in the world. For those of you who were smokers (or are) you know that feeling you get when you're about to run out of cigarettes or have run out. Even if you just had one it'll be in the back of your mind that you're out and you'll want one. With e-cigs I forgot all about cigarettes pretty quickly. I vaped for years afterward and my lungs healed along the way. By the time I started to cut down my nicotine levels in my e-cigs to quit it felt like I never smoked at all. I no longer got those horrible colds in the winter/flu months, and my lungs felt great. I also could do things like take the stairs if an elevator was broken without getting out of breath. It's part of the reason I decided to start losing weight because I knew my lungs could handle the exercise. I have no doubt that e-cigs saved my life. I smoked 2 packs of Kool's a day for 22 years. Dropped that habit in a week with e-cigs.

In my opinion, it's the reason big tobacco wants it pulled from the market, because they can't control it, and it's losing them their customers. Soon big tobacco will be the only ones for the most part that can afford to go through the FDA hoops to keep the products on the market so they'll have the market cornered again. They'll then up the nicotine levels and start adding MAOI's and other chemicals to make them more addictive. My suggestion is if you have tried to quit using other methods and failed, you may want to try e-cigs now, because that option is going to be taken away soon. There's still time to use e-cigs to quit smoking and then taper down so that when they are pulled off the market you won't have to go back to smoking cigarettes. But that time is running out fast. I'm very glad I quit using them, it gave me my life back.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Medication called champix worked for me. The drug literally stops the cravings. Of course it's suggested that you break away from old triggers or habits. You're allowed to smoke when first taking the drug & are expected to set yourself a quit date ( 1 wk or 2 away ). Leading up to that date & as the drug is in your system, you'll gradually notice the craving to go for a smoke die down. The drug also physically makes you hate the taste of smoking & physically feel sick if you were to continue smoking whilst taking the medication past your quit date.

It worked for me & I've tried quitting in the past a million times..
    Good luck mate.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    deensamwin wrote: »
    So......I've really truly changed my life around for the better with eating and staying fit but still one thing remains and it's holding me back. I managed to quit smoking cigarettes a couple years back, but I still vape with a nicotine level of 6 mg. I've tried everything. I feel like this is the last hurdle to a completely fit and healthy lifestyle. Does anybody out there have a secret remedy? Lol

I don't know where you live, but in the US many hospitals have free stop smoking programs. If there is one in your area, you could go and just adapt it to your problem.

I quit cigarettes many years ago, but knew I would start again and went to a 6-week class for support. They trained me to think like a non-smoker. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I was also able to finally quit because I faced the fact that I was an addict and needed outside help. Some people can quit on their own but I benefited from a program. It's been over 20 years now.
  • tallee
    tallee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for 2 years the first time with chantix. I did use food as a crutch, though. Once I was a 'non-smoker' I went back and lost the weight. Some of the best advice/tips I was given are: "losing weight will be easy compared to quitting smoking". I agree 100% with this even though I am only 52 days in to my second quit (with chantix) and have again put on weight. I talked to my doctor who agrees the health benefits of quitting smoking far outweigh the risks of putting on a few pounds. OK, more than a few. I wasn't about to start in the middle of the holidays! Another tip: use a smoking cessation app. I use "drop it" to keep track of $$ saved and health benefits. Side effects from chantix? I found myself tired the first several weeks. Rather than fight it, I slept a good 8-9 hours a night. It might have been related to the end of daylight savings time as that was the same week I quit. Vivid dreams? A few, but not nightmares. Remember there is a difference. Irritable? A little, but who isn't when they quit smoking? I am now at a point where I am almost ready to stop taking chantix. This gets a little tricky. The last time I stopped taking it I felt like I got a little moody. Not wanting to experience that again, I talked to my doctor. He suggested I wean myself off of it to avoid side effects when stopping chantix. Anyway, I have been taking chantix for about 60 days now and have been smoke free for 52. My energy level is coming back and I am ready to face a new year and lose the weight I gained as a result. Good luck everyone and Happy New Year!