Serving size when listed as "piece" or "slice"

I know that we don't like to use the term cheating so I have a question regarding serving size for treats.

Today at work, someone brought in a cookie cake to celebrate a birthday. I had a small piece (compared to what I would have taken in the past). I searched up Cookie Cake and there were a few options, but each had the serving size listed as "slice". It didn't say anything about the diameter of the cookie or the number of slices per cake. So what is considered a slice?

I've had the same situation come up before but this is the first time I couldn't figure out a good estimate of the piece.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member
    Like everything when you can not weigh - estimate as best as possible.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Can you roughly estimate the weight? If so, my general rule of thumb is 5 calories/gram for baked goods/chips/crackers/etc. It's not perfect, but it puts me in the ballpark. I'll play with the serving size to get it to mach my calorie estimate because there's no such thing as a standard slice.

Alternatively, compare your slice to a cookie you know. Was it equivalent to a Subway cookie? That's 200 calories. Was it equivalent to a Chips Ahoy? Or two of them? Or three of them? Or homemade cookie you know the calories for?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    We get cookie cakes often for kid birthday parties. I would assume a slice is roughly 1/10 of the total and should be in the neighborhood of 200-300 cals (I would look for a chain grocery store entry in the database). I've logged that estimate probably 10 times in the last 3.5 years so I'm pretty comfortable with it...