Eczema what kinds of soaps???

I was wondering what hand soaps and shampoo/bath soap do you guys and gals recommend for me to use with severe eczema and itching and hands and arms what should I avoid and what are your triggers so I can try to learn my own triggers I asked about eczema before and tried some suggestions Coconut oil I didn't help at all nor Olive Oil and I even looked into my fat intake and it shouldn't be a problem. any help on hand soaps shampoos bath soap and other suggestions would be very helpful

P.S I think it's mostly environmental since I moved out of my mom's house 20 minutes away 2 months later I got my eczema back

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Try to get your hands on the Blue Lagoon products. Actually, go to the blue lagoon, it's like magic.. And I believe there's an eczema health center there
  • absover40
    absover40 Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2016
    I recommend Therapeutic Soap by TheraTree, Tea Tree Mint, I found on Amazon after constant battle with some skin conditions I had on my back. I avoid any deodorant type soaps on these areas of my body as this seemed to make it worse.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I've done well with Dove bar soap or Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap. SoftSoap or its generics for hand soap. Though I can use any hand soap as long as I follow up with lotion. I use Aveeno or Aquaphor if I'm really dried out. My known triggers are hot baths and clothing tags.
  • HeyaBerg wrote: »
    Try to get your hands on the Blue Lagoon products. Actually, go to the blue lagoon, it's like magic.. And I believe there's an eczema health center there

Is there a store I can buy Blue Lagoon products at? Like say Target?
  • absover40 wrote: »
    I recommend Therapeutic Soap by TheraTree, Tea Tree Mint, I found on Amazon after constant battle with some skin conditions I had on my back. I avoid any deodorant type soaps on these areas of my body as this seemed to make it worse.

I never heard of Deodorant soaps. Are you able to give me an example on a few products and explain them better to me? is it the Deodorant you put under your arms? or Deordorant spray?
  • I've done well with Dove bar soap or Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap. SoftSoap or its generics for hand soap. Though I can use any hand soap as long as I follow up with lotion. I use Aveeno or Aquaphor if I'm really dried out. My known triggers are hot baths and clothing tags.

My known triggers are hot water it irratates my hands so much
  • LeeAnnW23
    LeeAnnW23 Posts: 15 Member
    My youngest has seasonal allergy related eczema. It only comes on when the seasons are changing and her allergies start acting up. We found that corn huskers lotion was what worked best for her.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    http://shop-usa.bluelagoon.com

I think you can buy them online. Not sure. But the blue lagoon is famous for its soothing and healing effect on eczema
    People come to Iceland from all over the world just to stay at the lagoon for its benefits. Google it.. And do some research.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Topical products can only help so much, and they don't address the underlying cause. If you say you recently moved and suspect it's environmental, get a humidifier or two for your place. Make sure the humidistat doesn't dip below 50. I like to keep mine around 60.

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    My son has eczema. Winter is rough on him. We use Cera Ve facial soap and mild, fragrance free body soaps. I had to use the Paul Mitchell baby shampoo on his head for the longest because it's the only thing that kept the itching and flaking at bay. In the summer, the only sunscreen I can use on his face is the Cera ve...and pretty much the same with his arms. No latex. No fragrances. After bathing and swimming, he get slathered up in Cetaphil lotion that I mixed with Doterra's On Guard oil (1 drop/1 oz). It helps him. Sometimes it's dietary. So, check your diet as well. It's a struggle, but there are more products these days than there used to be, thankfully. Good luck!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Dr.bronners
    CeraVe hydrating cleanser
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Dove
  • Topical products can only help so much, and they don't address the underlying cause. If you say you recently moved and suspect it's environmental, get a humidifier or two for your place. Make sure the humidistat doesn't dip below 50. I like to keep mine around 60.

So I never used a humidifier what does it do? Does it keep the temperature at the same degree
  • My son has eczema. Winter is rough on him. We use Cera Ve facial soap and mild, fragrance free body soaps. I had to use the Paul Mitchell baby shampoo on his head for the longest because it's the only thing that kept the itching and flaking at bay. In the summer, the only sunscreen I can use on his face is the Cera ve...and pretty much the same with his arms. No latex. No fragrances. After bathing and swimming, he get slathered up in Cetaphil lotion that I mixed with Doterra's On Guard oil (1 drop/1 oz). It helps him. Sometimes it's dietary. So, check your diet as well. It's a struggle, but there are more products these days than there used to be, thankfully. Good luck!

I use CereVe lotion and it helps a little bit
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    I am starting to wash dishes and I hear that dish washing soap is rough on the skin what dish soap works best for you?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    I am starting to wash dishes and I hear that dish washing soap is rough on the skin what dish soap works best for you?

g98xubxqufaj.jpg

Try this kind. Only kind I can use.
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    I like Palmolive Dish Soap for dishes...had trouble with my hands drying out and cracking (I don't have eczema) because of washing so many dishes, washing hands after so many diaper changes and the like when I had a daycare business. When I switched from Dawn Original to Palmolive there was a big difference. Also, deodorant soaps aren't really soaps..in fact shampoo, cleansing body & facial bars and body washes can not even have soap on the label (check it out!) because they are really a detergent like what you wash your clothes with (only with softeners for the skin). My suggestion is go with a high fat natural soap like goat's milk if you want something gentle and moisturizing. The humidifier is a good idea as well. Hope some of these suggestions work for you! :)
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    edited March 2017
    If washing fishes hurts your hands, try wearing dish gloves when you do them. Some other ideas:

1. Medicine Mama's Sweet Bee Magic...crazy name but I use this on everything from dry hands to cracked heels to cuts. My son had awful eczema on his hands and this worked in 12 hours! I bought ours at Whole Foods, but check online too.
    2. Cetaphil is a good moisturizing bar, it's soap free.
    3. If it's all over your body, bathe in warm water with Cetaphil, pat dry leaving a bit of moisture, apply 100% petroleum jelly and cover with long pants/shirt.
    4. Try a tsp of Barleans omega oils each day.
    5. Add a cap full of bleach to your bath water.

My sons dermatologist recommended all of this. He's been eczema free for about four years now.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Thank you I will try the Pomegranate to start. I have had eczema for a whole year now. I haven't had Eczema since I was a kid and completely forgot I even had it until I got it back years later Aveeno lotion helps me quite a but more then CereVe I just have to frequently use Aveeno and even more at work since I work with linens as it dries my hands
  • traceyfetterly
    traceyfetterly Posts: 10 Member
    I use Nizoral shampoo works like a charm. Flippin expensive tho