Support from your spouse/significant other

Options
HI I'm Dana. I'm 30 years old and have been struggling with my weight for a LONG time. I'm 5'7 and 246 lbs and I hate it. In 2008, I lost all of my pregnancy weight (my son was born in Oct. 2005) and was at my lowest weight of 156 lbs. I've completely lost control of my body. I need motivation and recently my husband has been the one to give it to me. He recently purchased a weight bench that we put downstairs in our basement. A couple of times this week we've been down there together working out. We also have an elliptical in the same room. He keeps reminding me that I need to be patient. That I won't see the results right away. To stay with it.. I need the same thing from here. I need a good support system and I know that this place the best for that! I've lost 2.5 lbs this week. I'm pretty stoked about that. It's a start..to a thinner and healthier me! Please add me if you want :)

**Is your spouse/significant other supportive of your choices? If so, can you give examples?

Replies

• Mikeys_Girl
    Options
    My hubby is so completely supportive, we were engaged over a year ago then got married last month on the 29th. It was my wedding pictures, they made me cry Is that really how big I have gotten? He loves me the way I am He tells me He thinks of it like a tune up.... He says if it makes me feel better then he feels better. On his days off we go hiking together, and where we live that can be quite a challenge. He is even eating all the same meals as me, He is in on this 100% I love this man. I know I am going to be successful this time around with his support and love, and all the support from my friends here.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Your husband is right. Be patient. If you keep making healthy choices in your life, the weight will come off. Keep telling yourself that you are NOT on a diet. You ARE changing your life FOREVER! Think seriously about the foods you choose to eat and make a solid effort to get regular and frequent exercise. You CAN do this! Do. Not. Give. Up.

Good luck to you and kudos for having a spouse who is so supportive.

MB
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is completely supportive of my "lifestyle change". He has been encouraging me for awhile now and sometime finally clicked where I truly wanted to start this. I even have him developing my workout plan right now because he knows more about weight lifting and different moves with weights right now. Even lets me have a sip/bite or 2 of whatever he is having because it helps take care of whatever craving I have-example-letting me take 2 sips of his Strongbow cider when we met a friend at the bar last weekend because I refused to blow my hard work drinking that night (I now only drink for special nights aka very little).
  • Kim9598
    Kim9598 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Dana~ 47 and have dropped 70 lbs and competing in my first figure competition this fall. You can do this and we are all here to support you! Go Dana Go!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    My boyfriend is super supportive of whatever I decide to do. He has never once raised an eyebrow at all of my crazy food schemes and pretty much is on my team no matter what. He loves me and my body unconditionally. c:
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I encourage each other.. Well, as much as we can, considering he's in California and I'm in Colorado. I texted him the other day to say I lost three pounds and I'm not sure who was more excited. He's always so positive, telling me that he knows I can do it. :smile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive of me losing the weight. He will help me cook now and then and try to stay on track. For a while he was exercising with me too but with his new job he is gone a lot so that hasn't happened. Sometimes he caves and gets "bad foods" but he doesn't brag about it or rub it in to me. He also never complains when I get demanding and dont allow foods in the house lol. So our house will not have any junk food in it while I'm trying to lose weight.
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the support! Sounds like a very caring relationship! I am lucky to have a supportive guy who will go on runs with me occasionally, and we joined a gym together. We congratulate each other on jobs well done, remember, motivation is a two way street!
  • SansyPansy
    SansyPansy Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes. My husband could also lose a couple pounds himself so he keeps me on track. Like when I'm trying to skip out on a workout.. hes there saying "did you do your workout?" He's the cook in our family so he makes our meals healthy. And when I told him I lost 5 pounds he was genuinly proud of me. Supportive spouses are the best!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive, he's a active duty Marine...so being in shape is his lifestyle. He will workout with me when I want to, he will eat whatever I cook for me or the family...no complaints at all, always on board.

The good side of him being a Marine can also be a bad side. Marines are taught to be PERFECT. Fat or failure is NEVER acceptable. To tired to workout? Is something they would NEVER say...you they would tell you...you have time to sleep? He hashas improved with putting the hardcore Marine stuff on hold with me, bc face it...I was not trained to be a marine lol But he's wonderful to have around and wonderful to have the support when I feel like I'm not gonna make it!
  • jpeoples1177
    jpeoples1177 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My wife is supportive of the healthy lifestyle/eating/exercise changes I've made, and even tracked her own activity on MFP for a few weeks. But I tend to be extreme at times, and want to change a lot at once...that's what she won't support. I'm glad she keeps me straight or I might would have gotten rid of every starch, carb, and fat in the house! We are also training for a 5K together, which I probably wouldn't do on my own (I hate running for the sake of running). I think it's helpful to surround yourself with supportive people in every area of your life, so I am grateful to have it in my home and on MFP!
  • Zina1963
    Zina1963 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of this situation. My first, and EX husband threw a fit every time I bought something new to try and lose weight. Believe me when I say, I have a whole bookcase full of "diets", a room full of exercise equipment, and a tv stand full of DVD's. He had very unhealthly eating habits, and did not exercise ever. When I left him, the nail that put the lid on the casket of our marriage was some VERY ugly things he said about my weight. My current spouse is SO VERY supportive of me, no matter what I try-whether I fail or succeed. He eats healthly, and encourages me when I do, but doesn't try to force me into anything. Any time I want to go for a walk or try a new exercise idea, he's right there with me. His love and support has made a world of difference in my efforts. I've lost 28 pounds over the last year, and this very well might be the time that it works permanently!! Be patient, be kind to yourself, and don't give up!!! Good luck. I look forward to hearing your progress!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    My wife and I actively attempt to sabotage one another.

Our willpower has become epic over the last 6 months. She just turned down Girl Scout cookies for the second day in a row. I turn down cheesecake every time we go to the store. :)

It's probably perverse. My main motivator for adherence to my diet is to prove her wrong when she said that, "New Year's resolutions are stupid because no one ever sticks with them". Her main motivation is to continue to weigh less than I do.

Support from others is not required.