Protein shake after strength training?

Options
Right now with my work schedule, I'm not able to go to the gym. I don't do as much cardio as I should but when I do, it's in the evening. Right now I do simple at home work outs to work my muscles in a particular area in the morning. I've been drinking a protein shake for breakfast after my work out. Am I hindering my weight loss by drinking it after something like a simple work out with no cardio?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weight loss = CICO - if a protein shake fits your calorie goal for the day - its fine, if it doesn't, then reassess and replace
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    weight loss = CICO - if a protein shake fits your calorie goal for the day - its fine, if it doesn't, then reassess and replace

THIS.

If it fits in your calorie goal, it will not hinder your weight loss.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Only if it puts you over your calorie goal. That being said, depending on your overall protein intake, the shake may not be needed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is just a supplement...it has nothing to do with your weight loss or hindering your weightloss...weight management is all about total calories. That's kind of like asking if having some chicken afterr a workout was hindering your weightloss.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It would hinder my weight loss in the sense that I'd rather eat the calories as solid food. Shakes just don't hold me at all.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use a shake after a morning workout too, but it's mainly to make sure I hit my protein requirements for the day. I'm not sure there's really a need for it if you're able to get the protein you need through the food you eat.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I use a shake after a morning workout too, but it's mainly to make sure I hit my protein requirements for the day. I'm not sure there's really a need for it if you're able to get the protein you need through the food you eat.

Agreed! I drink a protein shake every day but that's because my appetite is small (I'm aiming to gain rather than lose weight)and find it hard to hit my protein target. Shakes are easier for me than large amounts of chicken etc. But they aren't necessary otherwise
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Agreed! I drink a protein shake every day but that's because my appetite is small (I'm aiming to gain rather than lose weight)and find it hard to hit my protein target. Shakes are easier for me than large amounts of chicken etc. But they aren't necessary otherwise

I'm glad you said that. I was questioning myself after I posted that lol.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    ivallena23 wrote: »
    Right now with my work schedule, I'm not able to go to the gym. I don't do as much cardio as I should but when I do, it's in the evening. Right now I do simple at home work outs to work my muscles in a particular area in the morning. I've been drinking a protein shake for breakfast after my work out. Am I hindering my weight loss by drinking it after something like a simple work out with no cardio?

Are you hungry right after your workout? Are you drinking the shake because you want it or because you think you're supposed to have one?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ivallena23 wrote: »

Just make the protein shake fit into your macros and it's fine!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    I wake up to workout then drink a protein shake on the way to work every day.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Resting after putting a new handle in the tailgate of our truck.