Hey, another plant based protein question!

Options
sarko15
sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Sorry for another "problem solving" post...but I feel like maybe there's someone else who can identify with this.

MFP puts my protein goal at 83g a day. This feels like a lot and I almost never can meet that goal.

I'm probably about 80% vegan (last year or so), 100% vegetarian (12 years) and since I'm not new to plant based proteins I make sure I get my beans and spinach and sweet potatoes and lentils and quinoa all that jazz every day. But I cannot for the life of me get to 83g without feeling over full, and I don't ever feel like I'm lacking in energy due to lack of protein. I probably eat anywhere between 40-60g a day at 1200-1400 calories. I can't stand protein powder and I don't know what else to do to bump my protein intake up that much.

Does anyone know of any other macro calculators that they find accurate and helpful? I try to stick with one calculator (MFP) for everything because every website seems to get it a little differently and it's helpful to use one measuring tool when counting my macros and fitting it in my calorie goals, but if there's something better out there I want to hear it!

Replies

• butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are really my go to. Soy milk is pretty good but on 1200 calories it will be hard to hit high protien without mostly legumes. Or a protien supplement. Maybe try a textured soy "meat".
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I first went vegan I tracked my nutrients in cron-o-meter. Depending on your current weight, 83g seems high. We really do not need that much protein.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I first went vegan I tracked my nutrients in cron-o-meter. Depending on your current weight, 83g seems high. We really do not need that much protein.

I'm at 145, 5'3". I agree, it seems super high. I'll check out cron-o-meter, thanks!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals a day and have set my protein goal to 115g. I am vegan and don't have any issue getting to this. Only about 10g/day comes from powder, as I put half a scoop in my oatmeal. I eat a lot of beans, lentils, TVP, quinoa, Ripple "milk" (pea milk), chickpeas, chia seeds, and the occasional protein bar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've seen this, but I think it has some helpful information: https://food52.com/blog/14291-how-to-get-lots-of-protein-as-a-vegan

I get probably 60-70 grams a day usually and that is fine for my needs. I didn't use a macro calculator, so I won't be much help there. I just hand-adjusted my macros because I know from experience how I feel and perform best (higher carbohydrate, moderate to high fat, and somewhat lower protein).

• Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Costco sells a completely vegan protein powder called Orgain that is also 100% organic and contains no soy. I have the chocolate and vanilla flavors and they are both AMAZEBALLZ. These will definitely help up your protein and are great after a workout!

My current two favorite smoothies to make:

REESE'S CUP SMOOTHIE
    Chocolate protein powder (Orgain)
    2 tbsp. "PB2" powdered peanut butter
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 c. Silk chocolate cashew milk
    1/2 tsp. chia seeds
    Fill with water and blend.

CARROT CAKE SMOOTHIE
    Vanilla protein powder (Orgain)
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 tsp. chia seeds