Feeling hungry on 1200

Options
I genuinely feel hungry when I go on 1200-1300 calories, and as much as I could stick to my willpower and other things, I don't think that feeling hungry is a good strategy! No diet will last if all I can think of is food. I used to use the technique of - "I consciously choose not to eat cause I am not hungry" - but I am really hungry! I could eat an elephant!

And, interestingly, on my days on exercise, when I am allowed an extra 400-500 calories, I don't feel that hungry, even though, technically, I would only be eating what I have burned anyway.

So, any tips on how to tackle the munchies? Or should I just let myself eat a little bit until I feel a bit more full, and see how it goes and works out over a week?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you keep feeling hungry, I would lower your deficit to a pound, maybe even half a pound a week, so you have more calories to work with.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the advice above 1200 maybe too low for you.

I will add that I'm short and old so my 1250 calories is right for me and my situation.

I had to play around with my macros to help with hunger. AT first I went way high on protein (veggie protein mostly protein bars) and had a hard even getting to 1250, then I figured out a carb, protein and fat with every meal is my sweet spot.
  • sviestine
    sviestine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, guys, thank you!

Trouble is, I am already on 0.5 kg loss per week (only) but the app suggests 1260 calories a day because I really do not move that much, as I work/study at home and struggle to get out.

But I'll try to amend my aims slightly, I do think it would be smarter :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Changing to .25 kg a week will put you around 1500 calories or so.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What about eating those exercise calories not on the day you create them but on the next day?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Siran12001 wrote: »
    What about eating those exercise calories not on the day you create them but on the next day?

That's perfectly fine. Some people look for a calorie deficit for the week. Other people use a method that includes exercise up front (TDEE less a %) ....that "averages" all your workouts, so you get the same number every day.
  • sunnysunny88
    sunnysunny88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Another thing that could help is snacking but prepare and log your snacks in advance. I find that I get full quite easily but like you I get muchies :) so I actually eat 5 small meals a day, breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea then dinner and maybe if I can fit the calories in dessert :) but they are pre planned healthy snacks like fruit or salmon with crackers and nuts and they all fit into my 1500 cal - most days I don't even reach it and I don't feel hungry at all, this way it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet and it keeps me off chocolate and biscuits which I used to snack on all the time. I've been doing this 'diet' for 5 weeks now and have been losing around 1 kg (2lbs) a week. Feel free to add me and look at my food diary :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Adjust your goal a little higher.

Do a little research based on your size & activity level to have an understanding of how many calories you burn in a day and then use that info to make a reasonable goal. For example I burn ~1600-1750 per day and I'm working to re-lose about 10 pounds. So I eat 1300-1500 and have a very small deficit each day. I do not expect to lose 1-2 per week. When I can be more active (not often right now) then I can have a bigger deficit, but at least this is something realistic for me.
    sviestine wrote: »
    I genuinely feel hungry when I go on 1200-1300 calories, and as much as I could stick to my willpower and other things, I don't think that feeling hungry is a good strategy! No diet will last if all I can think of is food. I used to use the technique of - "I consciously choose not to eat cause I am not hungry" - but I am really hungry! I could eat an elephant!

And, interestingly, on my days on exercise, when I am allowed an extra 400-500 calories, I don't feel that hungry, even though, technically, I would only be eating what I have burned anyway.

So, any tips on how to tackle the munchies? Or should I just let myself eat a little bit until I feel a bit more full, and see how it goes and works out over a week?

• rioguy
    rioguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No diet will last if all I can think of is food.

You are being honest with yourself. No diet will last if you cannot sustain it.

I don't know what your diet looks like, but you should try eating for nutritional needs not just caloric needs. If you are hungry, you may be seriously lacking something your body needs. Besides the main macros, your body wants the nutrients (minerals, vitamins, fiber, healthy fats, etc) too. Try blending some green fiberous vegatables (kale, spinach, etc), a few berries and some protein powder. It will be less than 200 calories, but it will make you feel full and give the missing nutrition your body might be craving.

Also, just because some app/machine/wristband tells you burned 400-500 calories you probably didn't burn half that. And it doesn't mean you should just replace those calories with your next meal.

Anyway, there is something called HEC (Hunger Energy Cravings). If you are very hungry and have low energy, then your body is telling you something and you should listen. Its not like you are competing for a gold-medal, so take care of your body and give it what it wants (within reason).

• cactusrattler
    cactusrattler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using BCAAs (Branch chain amino acids - building blocks of proteins)? My wife and I started using them about 3-4 months ago and they have helped tremendously. They basically feed your muscles so you maintain muscle mass during times of calorie restriction. We found a great one - labeled "Catalyst" developed by AdvoCare for the Olympic wrestling team.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Wow, guys, thank you!

Trouble is, I am already on 0.5 kg loss per week (only) but the app suggests 1260 calories a day because I really do not move that much, as I work/study at home and struggle to get out.

But I'll try to amend my aims slightly, I do think it would be smarter :)

Your profile says that your goal is to lose 7 pounds. With so little to lose, a pound a week is an aggressive goal. As mentioned before, I would suggest decreasing your deficit. A half pound (.25 kg) per week should be good.

Best of luck to you!
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could open your journal so we could take a peek?

And I agree with everyone else, bump up your calories a little more and be patient. Seven pounds is very small and will take long to come off.