Menstrual cycle help

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get my menstrual cycle back as it's been over 3 months without one. I'm feeling frustrated because I am above the weight I normally am when I easily get my cycle (110-115 I was fine, now I am 115-120). I was under a lot of stress at university and work and then lost my cycle somewhere between everything (as I lost 5 pounds probably from more physical activity and forgetting lunch). I regained the weight and then some by eating lots of protein but I eat very little fat. I am wondering if that is the issue and I should replace some carbs with fat (I am runner and eats LOTS of carbs). I am also wondering if my skipping lunch sometimes does not help, even though I make up for the calories at dinner (and probably more than what I would've originally eaten). I've tried eating more simple carbs but I feel dizzy and weak when I do this. Ugh. I guess I am feeling frustrated and need some helpful words and support! I'm looking for a good sports dietitian. My last one tried to sell me stuff at every appointment and it made me uncomfortable.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As @MeganAM89 mentioned, it can take months to regain cycle regularity once you have lost it. In addition, it is easy to lose it again. Your post mentions eating little fat, having a lot of stress, skipping meals, and alludes to excess physical activity. Any of those on their own can cause amenorrhea. If you want to get your cycle back, you need to work on correcting all of the issues and keeping them corrected long term. I know that is easier said than done. I suggest working on the easy to correct issues first--stop skipping meals, eat more fat, and cut back on physical activity. Obviously you have to balance all of those changes. Contact your university's health center for guidance or, if you are involved in a sports team, ask a coach or trainer for assistance in finding help. Good for you for being concerned about this issue, btw. It can lead to very serious and long-term problems.
  • tebasile27
    tebasile27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 22. My sister is 5 years younger than me and same weight/height. She has never missed a cycle. Which leads me to believe that the issue is more my eating patterns than my eating quantity. . . (there no chance I'm pregnant ;) )

I'm going to cut back on the exercise and eat more fat. Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'll just have to be patient.