A Question About Editing Recipes

Options
CafeRacer808
CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
I have a go-to green smoothie recipe that I make about 5 days/week. On any given day, I'll make some small changes to the recipe (ie - substituting spinach for kale, blueberries for mixed berries, etc). The quantities of some of the ingredients also changes at times, depending on what I have on hand.

So here's my question: If I edit the recipe in MFP as I'm making it, will MFP then go back and make changes (calories, sugar, fiber, etc) to all the previous days I logged that smoothie recipe, or will the changes only be reflected in today's log? I'd prefer not to have multiple smoothie recipes in MFP and am hoping the answer is the latter, not the former.

Thanks all!

Replies

• not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it will only reflect the new entries.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I believe the changes only reflect the new entries as well.

I do the same as you for a roast recipe and the nutritional value changes as I adjust some ingredients and the weight of the roast I use. I have prepared the roast with the different values from week to week and if I go back, the nutritional values are different, depending on what day I've logged them on.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Thank you both for the answers! I actually just tested this w/ my "AM Vitamins" recipe. I decreased the number of fish oil capsules I took yesterday and logged it for today. The calorie count remained the same for yesterday's entry but logged as lower today. So there's the answer :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ^^ I do that for things like tacos, burgers, salads etc - all the things where there are likely to be substantially the same ingredients, but not exactly. I save it as a meal, then once it's all in my diary I can edit quantities as I like.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    I find it easier to use the "my meals" feature for things like smoothies that I alter amounts, use different fruits, etc. each time I make it. I just log the meal with the smoothie ingredients I've used before, add any new ingredients I haven't used before, save it again (replacing the meal), then I delete anything listed in the saved meal and edit any quantities. I find the interface for making such changes in my diary much less clunky than the recipe interface. (I use the recipe calculator for large batches of food that I will log servings of over multiple meals without having to edit the ingredients.)

I also use "my meals" entries for oatmeal with all the various toppings I like to use, and just delete the ones I'm not using that day. I use it for meals at non-chain restaurants that I eat at frequently, where I've had to deconstruct my meal and to log it (e.g., the tofu and veggie stir-fry at a place near my office where I go for, and the avocado-tomato-cucumber sandwich from the same place, and vegetarian bibimbap from the food truck near my office, etc.). I use it for meals at chain restaurants like Chipotle, where you get to choose from various ingredients -- so my meal includes the barbacoa and carnitas options, but not the chicken or steak because I don't eat those, and I delete the barabacoa or the carnitas, depending on what I ordered that time -- saves a lot of work in looking up and verifying entries from the MFP database.

Obviously, do what works best for you, but I thought I'd let you know there's another option.

Great tip, thanks!
  • CafeRacer808
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just tried "my meals" for the smoothie and it worked like a charm. Thanks again!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Just tried "my meals" for the smoothie and it worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Glad it worked for you!