Quality or Quantity of exercise

Options
So I have been logging on MFP for quite a while now and I'm exercising almost daily. I sometimes struggle to fit exercise into my day, I won't bore you with the details but between work/family/rural living etc there are times I just cannot squeeze the extra time into the day. So my question is: Am I better off doing a 30 minute work out 6 times a week or for example a 60 minute work out 3 times a week? Does it make any difference? I usually run for about 30 mins and then do weights or core for 15 mins (I do this 6 days a week if possible. Sometimes its 4 times, sometimes its 7 times, depending on circumstances) and I feel it works for me, but as the nights get longer and colder and Christmas coming up and all the extra commitments I have at this time of year I don't want to lose my hard work. So If I put in extra work to my work outs, should I see the same results? Any help or opinions on this is appreciated, but please not the old chestnut of "If you want it you'll make time for it" because I do want it, but realistically there are only so many hours in a day and I can't expect everyone else to constantly work around me just so I can get a work out in. :-)

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Do what you find sustainable. It seems to be the same amount of hours, and I actually think the pattern where you're getting some built in rest periods is preferable.

What you're doing now has no recovery time for you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It is both quality and quantity to some degree. Whichever of the options is most sustainable is best.

BUT if you are looking to lose weight then exercise is secondary to diet, as all you require is a calorie deficit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Quality over quantity especially when your time is limited.
    Interval /resistance training hits the spot well when we are short of time. Do what you have time for and do workouts that you enjoy.
    There's no need to work out most days, if you are trying to lose weight 100% of that is down to how much you eat, the exercise just increases the calorie deficit.
    Do what you can, when you can :smile:

• mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat a deficit every day, I'm on 1200 a day and stick to it a rigid as possible. Obviously there are occasions where I'll be 100 or so above or below as life happens, but as a rule I'd be on the 1,200 99% of the time.I have lost 24lb out of 26lb goal and I'm happy to maintain once I'm at 115, I just don't want to change my exercise habits this far in and suddenly find I've shot myself in the foot. After Christmas/Winter I can easily go back to the usual routine if I want to.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    AFA weight? Quantity for me. I noticed once that I was dropping weight when I didn't want to and figured out this was because I'd gotten a job that required parking a few blocks away. Just that added walking ended up eating me, I had to eat more to keep up with it.

So, in my experience, fitting in more daily minutes of even gentle exercise burns more than doing something heroic for a short time each week.

Give up elevators, park a few blocks away from work, walk the dog twice as far, jog in the mornings, stuff like that. A more active life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Depends on a couple of things: time available and ability to do work. Some people aren't just fit enough to do HIIT/interval workouts, so for them quality may not work. Some people don't have time to do 2 hour long workouts, so long workouts won't work for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Whatever is sustainable.

I found that doing something 6 days (with a rest day once a week) was easier as it would be harder to justify skipping it to myself and a bad pattern (for me) was "can't run today because I don't have time to do my planned miles, will make it up later." Far better to do what I could, even if that meant 2 miles rather than 5. Then, if you have time/want to do more on a particular day, that's fine. And that said, I actually am not in favor of running 6 days per week for most (especially if you are new to it) so if doing a 6 day schedule I'd make sure you did a day or two of some other activity instead -- alternate 30 minutes of weights with running the next instead of running+weights, something like that.

But if you enjoy doing longer on fewer days more, and end up moving around some on the other days anyway, which is easy enough to do (walk instead of drive, take the stairs, all that, and especially if there is extra Christmas activity), that's totally fine too -- just make sure that you will be consistent.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Something is always better than nothing. Do what you can.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whatever is sustainable.

I found that doing something 6 days (with a rest day once a week) was easier as it would be harder to justify skipping it to myself and a bad pattern (for me) was "can't run today because I don't have time to do my planned miles, will make it up later." Far better to do what I could, even if that meant 2 miles rather than 5. Then, if you have time/want to do more on a particular day, that's fine. And that said, I actually am not in favor of running 6 days per week for most (especially if you are new to it) so if doing a 6 day schedule I'd make sure you did a day or two of some other activity instead -- alternate 30 minutes of weights with running the next instead of running+weights, something like that.

But if you enjoy doing longer on fewer days more, and end up moving around some on the other days anyway, which is easy enough to do (walk instead of drive, take the stairs, all that, and especially if there is extra Christmas activity), that's totally fine too -- just make sure that you will be consistent.

This is why I exercise seven days a week, with one day being really light. I'm really good at making excuses, so exercise works best for me when it is something that I do every single day no matter what else is going on. Not every workout is a hard one, even on the other six days. But the habit itself is very important to me.

I do take one full rest day per month because that isn't something that derails me.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    When pinched for time, I suggest quality over quantity. The more intense the exercise (eg. intervals instead of long steady run), usually yields better results in a shorter time.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you do a variety? Do your usual workout when you get the chance, but like a Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred when you are short on time or just don't want to leave the house? I have been doing those mixed and feel pretty good about my results over the past year. That way you still get something in, but will still want to do the usual workout you have when you can.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    With me and my schedule, I've found that some exercise with proper form takes less time and gives a good burn, as opposed to lots of exercise, hurrying to fit it into my schedule and not resting properly.

You can also explore alternatives to the workouts you're doing now. "Too Busy" is a real problem for a lot of people these days, and a quick google search will pull up some good workouts tailored for super busy people.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is where actual fitness objectives come in pretty handy...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This really depends on what your goals are. Personally, I think the 30-minute per day option is more reasonable. Go and run for 30-minutes, or get as much lifting in as possible (try circuit training with little to no rest). I am in a similar situation - I have a 3-hour commute on top of a 9-hour work day M-F and an 8-hour work day Sunday, plus we aren't even at our house (staying in a hotel until who knows when because of a mold issue). Between the busy season at work, the house stuff (trying to sell this home and buy another besides the mold issue) it's been hard to get to the gym 6 x week for 90 minute sessions like I usually do. I've been getting there 5-6 x week for around 60-minute sessions and have just been trying to cram as much into that time frame as possible. No cardio, just straight up lifting. I tend to do circuits (high intensity reps with as much weight as I can handle and little to no rest) so that in itself is kinda cardio. It depends what your goals are. Quality over quantity, but stay consistent.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I chose quality over quantity also, but again, depends on your goals. Some people like the routine of working out everyday and that keeps them motivated. Others like myself are fine with 3 times per week. Right now I typically will lift 3x per week for 45min-1hr and one yoga session per week. If you are going to a gym it might be easier to make fewer trips and workout a little longer, but again, up to you!