• tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    tanny684 wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never cared much about oatmeal, but grits are bae.

I'm English and have to admit I don't really understand the difference ! Porridge it oatmeal I think, as in oats. I thought grits were oats?

Grits are cooked, ground corn meal...

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOI8j_vLUXjfPbk43bRkQrhHMJJrNtWPUeDVXg_iKGgoCyjPxQ

You would generally use a more coarse grind for grits and a medium grind for something like corn bread...

It's basically the same thing as polenta.

Oh my.....

Please don't take offence anyone but grits look awful! Maybe they taste better than they look....

I don't see how they look much different than porridge, besides the color. They're flavorless, you have to add the flavor so there's infinite possibilities. Some people can't get past the texture though.

I think that's what put me off, the texture. I can't eat tomatoes cos they're slimy. Although I can eat lentil Dahl with roti. I'm weird lol
    That's my staple at least once a week. It's so good I have even trained Mrs Cutaway and enhanced her taste buds and spice levels. There was a time she would turn red faced at the smallest bits of chili.

Indian food in Britain is fantastic to be honest. Way better than the Americas.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm English and have to admit I don't really understand the difference ! Porridge it oatmeal I think, as in oats. I thought grits were oats?

Grits are cooked, ground corn meal...

Breading.jpg

BRM-02304-2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOI8j_vLUXjfPbk43bRkQrhHMJJrNtWPUeDVXg_iKGgoCyjPxQ

You would generally use a more coarse grind for grits and a medium grind for something like corn bread...

It's basically the same thing as polenta.

Oh my.....

Please don't take offence anyone but grits look awful! Maybe they taste better than they look....

I don't see how they look much different than porridge, besides the color. They're flavorless, you have to add the flavor so there's infinite possibilities. Some people can't get past the texture though.

I think that's what put me off, the texture. I can't eat tomatoes cos they're slimy. Although I can eat lentil Dahl with roti. I'm weird lol
    That's my staple at least once a week. It's so good I have even trained Mrs Cutaway and enhanced her taste buds and spice levels. There was a time she would turn red faced at the smallest bits of chili.

Indian food in Britain is fantastic to be honest. Way better than the Americas.

Yeah Indian food is by far the most popular takeaway food in England. Very often we doctors and nurses get boxes of samosas or onion Bhajis
    as gifts. We had an Indian female doctor that when she left ordered in 500 samosas. I ate about 458 of them :p.
    I guess Indian food can be healthy also..... dry chapati's can't be bad, Dahl, maybe even saag is reasonably healthy ....as long as there's no salt and ghee ha.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2016
    They didn't make it right then.

I'll wager those who are talking about how awful grits are have never had good quality long cooking stone-ground grits. They bear the same relationship to Quaker Quick Grits that Flahavan's Steel Cut Oatmeal has to Quaker Quick Rolled Outs.

They have a mild corn flavor. You're not going to get that with ground up lentils, or anything else. Though if one doesn't care about what one is shoveling into his/her pie hole, I suppose it doesn't matter. :D
  • ddoud71
    ddoud71 Posts: 2,741 Member
    I can eat oatmeal. That is about it.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    is it bad that I've never had grits?