Are differences among protein supplements worth noting for the average guy?

Options
I'm not a body builder/power lifter/pro athlete, just a guy who wants a little better than average health. I've gone through I have no idea how many review sites on protein supplements and it's frustrating as hell trying to nail down fact from sales pitch.

Minor differences in grams per serving aside, are some really "better" than others? I only use it to make sure I hit my protein requirements each day if my diet doesn't cover it, and right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition, just because a friend who's a CPT recommended it.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer Isopure Whey Isolate...no carbs, fillers, sweeteners, flavors with 110 calories and 26g protein per scoop. It can be added to anything, from baked goods or dinner to your morning coffee or a smoothie.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If its just Protein you want and nothing else matters find the least expensive USA Made (regulations) brand of Whey Protein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Another poster - Gallowmere, maybe? - turned me on this website: https://labdoor.com/

Their reviews/analysis - I think - are pretty good. Yes, they sell stuff, but if you look at their rankings, they doesn't seem to be anything shady going on.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Personally, I prefer Isopure Whey Isolate...no carbs, fillers, sweeteners, flavors with 110 calories and 26g protein per scoop. It can be added to anything, from baked goods or dinner to your morning coffee or a smoothie.
    I'll look into that, thank you :)
    If its just Protein you want and nothing else matters find the least expensive USA Made (regulations) brand of Whey Protein.
    That's basically what I was wondering, if any other additives would even really benefit me. Then again most brands I've seen aren't really pricey anyway. Oh, yes, it's primarily the protein I use it for.
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Another poster - Gallowmere, maybe? - turned me on this website: https://labdoor.com/

Their reviews/analysis - I think - are pretty good. Yes, they sell stuff, but if you look at their rankings, they doesn't seem to be anything shady going on.

Thank you. I'll see what they have to say. :)

--->I like that site. Cheers!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    One of the things I like about using that site is that you can kinda skim over the rankings/grades and see where the supplement you're looking at possibly using ranks - provided, of course, they've tested it.

I've seen some things (I can't remember exactly what, off the top of my head) that are considerably less expensive than others, but it'll still rank as an A- or B+. I'd think that - for most "regular" people - it'd be fine and they probably won't get much more benefit - especially for the cost - from one of the more expensive brands. On the other hand, you might find that that fairly inexpensive supplement you're looking at is pretty much garbage, so you won't waste your time/money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Dump the supplements and eat food based on what you're trying to achieve. ON is a great option if you do use supplementation though since they actually manufacture their own product as well as many other distributing companies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I second this. Best ratio of protein to calories, no carbs, no sugar. The ideal protein.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like places like true nutrition where you can customize your blends to your needs.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    One of the things I like about using that site is that you can kinda skim over the rankings/grades and see where the supplement you're looking at possibly using ranks - provided, of course, they've tested it.

I've seen some things (I can't remember exactly what, off the top of my head) that are considerably less expensive than others, but it'll still rank as an A- or B+. I'd think that - for most "regular" people - it'd be fine and they probably won't get much more benefit - especially for the cost - from one of the more expensive brands. On the other hand, you might find that that fairly inexpensive supplement you're looking at is pretty much garbage, so you won't waste your time/money.
    That's priceless to me, too impatient lol. Having to register to read the full reports..I can take or leave. No issue really as I probably wouldn't understand much of it anyway. And, like you said, it makes it easy to avoid what's basically worthless to me. It also opens my options wide up. I never realized there were that many alternatives.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dump the supplements and eat food based on what you're trying to achieve. ON is a great option if you do use supplementation though since they actually manufacture their own product as well as many other distributing companies.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do have a few days a week where I get everything strictly though diet. The supp is more for those days where I'm treating myself to less...nutritious foods :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options

I second this. Best ratio of protein to calories, no carbs, no sugar. The ideal protein.
    Just curious, wouldn't that only be an issue for someone on a doctor issued diet? I eat pretty much what I always have, just much more responsibly now.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Just curious, wouldn't that only be an issue for someone on a doctor issued diet? I eat pretty much what I always have, just much more responsibly now.

A lot of people just like a low carb/low sugar protein so that they can save the sugars and carbs for their actual food. It's not necessary at all, just a preference.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

A lot of people just like a low carb/low sugar protein so that they can save the sugars and carbs for their actual food. It's not necessary at all, just a preference.
    Ah gotcha. Thanks :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Buy mine at Costco, as it's cheaper there. Not one on the list on the website above, but Kaizen chocolate something.

35g of protein and 150 cals, so only 10 cals from other stuff. Took a bit to get used to the taste of Stevia, but it's fine now. Only use it when I'm low on protein at the end of the day.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As already mentioned, yeah I use labdoor pretty extensively for any and all of my supplement purchases. They are what led me to spending so much of my money with MyProtein, because not only does their stuff test well, but due to them having the same advantage as ON, their prices are some of the most (if not THE most) competitive out there. Show me another company that will sell you 5.5 lbs. of Micellar casein, with minimal bullcrap fillers, for less than $50 when you catch a sale. ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I do have a few days a week where I get everything strictly though diet. The supp is more for those days where I'm treating myself to less...nutritious foods :)

Good advice on protein supplements, but it sounds like you're ignoring the elephant in the room.

Fix your diet before relying on supplements most days of the week.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A basic whey isolate is all you need. I've seen a few "studies" and comparisons and MyProtein seem to be in the top 5 consistently for actual protein content.

In response to a few people above, there is a massive difference between relying on supplements and using them. The OP said he wants to use them on days when he falls short of his protein goal, that is the perfect use for a supplement. I would struggle to consume my daily goal of 220-28g of protein without whey or casein!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A basic whey isolate is all you need. I've seen a few "studies" and comparisons and MyProtein seem to be in the top 5 consistently for actual protein content.

In response to a few people above, there is a massive difference between relying on supplements and using them. The OP said he wants to use them on days when he falls short of his protein goal, that is the perfect use for a supplement. I would struggle to consume my daily goal of 220-28g of protein without whey or casein!

I would agree with your point on relying on supplements and using them.

The OP says he has a few days where he gets his nutrition though food, the supplements are for days when he treats himself and falls short.

IMO the nutrition through food should be most days, not the other way around.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I would agree with your point on relying on supplements and using them.

The OP says he has a few days where he gets his nutrition though food, the supplements are for days when he treats himself and falls short.

IMO the nutrition through food should be most days, not the other way around.

We may be interpreting it slightly differently. I assumed the OP had days where he ate "junk" (I hate that word but it is apt here) and falls short of his protein goal so wants to hit it.

I would say do whatever is sustainable for you as an individual. It wouldn't be my preference but as long as calories and macros are OK, you will make progress.