Walking as exercise

Options
I jog, poorly, daily and my legs can be in pain. I also go an exercise bike for 30 mins for a medium intensity spin but split that up into 3 chunks of 10 mins with pushups, sit ups, kettlebell swings and some weights thrown in between the 10 min sessions. Again, daily.

Now, I know walking takes a lot longer but on 'rest' periods (n.b. can't be bothered/my legs are ruined) is walking a fair substitute? I know I may not burn as much as jogging no matter how poor but will I still get most the same benefits?

I ask cos my FitBit says I burn a lot through walking as well but sometimes it feels just too easy. I get easily over 30k steps a day by the way so I do move around a lot.

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Of course walking is a good exercise. I have multiple back injuries, spinal stenosis, arthritis of the knees, so I run poorly as well. In 2016 I trained all year trying to run further just to make it to the 2 mile mark a couple of times. I may get better and I may not due to those issues. But I can tell you I started with MFP simply walking. I simply walk as fast as I can (like I'm late for something) and as long as I can. My usual is about 3 miles and I can easily burn a ton of calories doing it. I started walking in February of 2015, and by February of 2016 I had lost over 115 lbs just logging, staying in my deficit and walking. So yea, it works. No need to put yourself in pain or injure yourself if you can't run.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There's activity and then there's exercise. Walking can fall into either category.

If it's just about burning calories and being active, then walking (at a slow pace) is fine. If you want to improve your fitness (as in exercise) then you need to pick up the pace. If it feels too easy, then you're not exercising....but you are active. I like to use music to help me keep the pace up. Beats per minute - I like high 130's to low 140's.

https://walk.jog.fm/workout-songs/for/15:00/minute-miles

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,512 Member
    Options
    Walking feels "too easy" to you because you've already been doing a good bit of it. You're already conditioned to it. Conditioning is quite activity specific. Surprisingly so, sometimes.

Rest days are important, and walking is an excellent active rest day activity between other intense workouts. Yes, it has similar benefits, just not as much cardiovascular intensity, if you walk a mile vs. jog a mile.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    I jog, poorly, daily and my legs can be in pain. I also go an exercise bike for 30 mins for a medium intensity spin but split that up into 3 chunks of 10 mins with pushups, sit ups, kettlebell swings and some weights thrown in between the 10 min sessions. Again, daily.

Now, I know walking takes a lot longer but on 'rest' periods (n.b. can't be bothered/my legs are ruined) is walking a fair substitute? I know I may not burn as much as jogging no matter how poor but will I still get most the same benefits?

I ask cos my FitBit says I burn a lot through walking as well but sometimes it feels just too easy. I get easily over 30k steps a day by the way so I do move around a lot.

Walking would not be an equal substitute for everything you mention. Walking is not running, but if running is painful and possibly causing injury, then walking is better. You don't get the same CV benefit, but it's better than creating unbearable pain or injury. Walking faster or uphills will give more challenge.
    PS- Also consider cutting back your jogging to 2-3x week rather than daily.