Dealing with frustration from lack of exercise

Options
I swear I'm about to kill someone.. I'm usually a very mellow person but I haven't been able to workout for a few days now and I can feel it effecting my mood. I don't usually get mad or pissed but yesterday I started lashing out on people who so much as look at me funny.. What do you do to relieve the tension? Working out is not an option as I faint and I'm very dehydrated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go for a 30 minute walk and have some water.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking tons of water but 30 min walk won't do me any favors.

Thank you though
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Flu I assume? If you're drinking tons of water and are dehydrated I assume you're sick or have an issue keeping you from working out. Best to rest and get over it. I feel you on the workout addiction, I have to force myself to take rest days each week because I feel so much better after a good workout. But sometimes you just gotta heal. Try some yoga.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You drink tons of water but are dehydrated. How do you know? 30 minute walk is mood elevating. You cannot walk? Not sure how to help you.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Flu I assume? If you're drinking tons of water and are dehydrated I assume you're sick or have an issue keeping you from working out. Best to rest and get over it. I feel you on the workout addiction, I have to force myself to take rest days each week because I feel so much better after a good workout. But sometimes you just gotta heal. Try some yoga.

You would be correct and each time I think I'm good to go it hits me again. Went to the ER last night and got help with staying hydrated but I think I need to go again today.

Oh it's the worst! I workout at least ones everyday, sometimes twice and rest on Saturdays. I get moody and negative if I don't feel the muscles burn
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The good news is that generally the extra rest days will allow you to build more muscle and recover (if the flu doesn't put a damper on it). I tend to over-train and on weeks when I have to take an extra rest day or two for whatever reason it seems like I notice more gain those weeks as far as muscle gain and fat loss. I probably do too much cardio lol, one of these days I'll consider cutting that back, but I love cardio first thing in the mornings. Gets me going for the entire day.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Ahh, that makes sense now. Rest is good. Sleep is good. Take care.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I swear I'm about to kill someone.. I'm usually a very mellow person but I haven't been able to workout for a few days now and I can feel it effecting my mood. I don't usually get mad or pissed but yesterday I started lashing out on people who so much as look at me funny.. What do you do to relieve the tension? Working out is not an option as I faint and I'm very dehydrated.

Personally, I meditate. It's the only thing that gets me to relax...
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In the same boat here. Been sick for almost two weeks now and its annoying
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I get the same exact way! I work out 6 x week for 60-90 minutes per session. If I have to skip a circuit from a program day, or can't be in the gym for the length I'm supposed to, miss a day or don't hit all my lifts as hard as I think I could have, I get grumpy and disheartened. It's part of the process though and I'm starting to accept it. I have Lupus and a gimp foot so some days (especially now that it's so cold out) I am so sick or in pain that my sessions will be cut nearly in half. I like to go home a stretch, take a nice hot shower and maybe do band work so I still feel like I did something! A sort of meditation I suppose.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Yikes! If you're ill enough to have to go to the emergency room I'd say you definitely NEED some time to recover and re-hydrate. I know it's hard to be inactive. I get the same way, but just keep in mind that trying to rush things could make your recovery even longer.

Have you tried yoga? Nothing strenuous, but the movement and breathing helps. Hope you feel better soon!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can swing your heart out punching the air. Just do it in private, so people don't think you're crazy. Some time away from screens (tv, computer, phone) is good to reboot a little. Concentrating on your breathing, taking full breaths, is a good form of meditation.