Wondering about keto

Options
I'm not thinking about ever trying this diet.. I'm going to be clear about that but I like to learn and I would like people that might know a bit more about biology to explain what I just don't seem to get from all the posts I see on here. I've asked people but no one's talking lol so here goes. I know the principal behind it is to get your body to start burning fat instead of glucose for fuel but what I don't get is how people can be pumping themselves full of fat and processed meat and not be ruining their liver and other organs that now have to process all this fat because let's be real.. Your body isn't going to immediately burn all fat consumed because you want it to. Do people that have started keto feel apprehensive about organ damage? I'm again not trying to be rude to anyone but I am curious!

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I've heard nothing but good things about the keto diet. Not a pro, but am curious too. It's broken down into categories or percentages per day. Ie. 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein. Not sure if the fats are good fats like penut butter, cheese, etc. I know it's not fast food. How would you measure everything out on a daily basis. Good question aneed!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but good things about the keto diet. Not a pro, but am curious too. It's broken down into categories or percentages per day. Ie. 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein. Not sure if the fats are good fats like penut butter, cheese, etc. I know it's not fast food. How would you measure everything out on a daily basis. Good question aneed!!

Other than trans fats, I don't think people on keto divide fats into "good" and "bad." And I'm pretty sure you can eat fast food as long as it's fitting into your macros.

They could measure it just like anyone on a macro-specific plan -- through accurately logging their food intake.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't bad for you (well, with the exception of trans fats, which most ketophiles avoid like the plague). Not sure where you get the idea keto folks are "pumping themselves full" of processed meat? Seems you have some serious misconceptions about keto. Perhaps do some reading about what is actually involved....
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Fat is not harmful and liver function improves on a low carb diet.
  • sarahcibula67
    sarahcibula67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mom does Ideal Protein and that does the whole keto thing. No carbs, no sugars, no fats. No she can not eat fast foot or any fats. Not avocados, and I think those are considered "good" fats. I know she said the first few days she felt like she had the flu but ever since she feels better than ever. Has energy and has lost a lot of weight.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My carbs aren't generally low enough to be keto, but I try to keep them pretty low and I increase the fat to compensate. I can't speak for everyone who does keto but for me I don't find the fat to be that high. Its higher than the SAD, true, but my system works quite well at telling me when its had enough fat. Carbs I can eat all day and I never get that. To each their own. As far as I can tell my blood work and such is just fine, except my blood sugar and that was more of a med issue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My mom does Ideal Protein and that does the whole keto thing. No carbs, no sugars, no fats. No she can not eat fast foot or any fats. Not avocados, and I think those are considered "good" fats. I know she said the first few days she felt like she had the flu but ever since she feels better than ever. Has energy and has lost a lot of weight.

A no-carbohydrate and no-fat diet would be pretty much impossible. And Ideal Protein isn't that type of diet -- it actually includes carbohydrates and fats.

Either way: it's possible to do keto while not doing Ideal Protein, they're different things. Ideal Protein draws on keto (I believe), but you can ignore their rules and just do keto.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

"No fats" is not keto. Keto is high fat, very low carb, moderate protein. I'm not familiar with Ideal Protein, but no carbs and no fats (an egg white only diet?) sounds dreadful. I'm hoping you are mistaken about what your mom's diet actually is....

• CommitSudoku
    CommitSudoku Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Reddit has a subreddit for keto reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell and explains everything in there and why it's not harmful to your body. I was on keto for a short amount of time (2-3 months) and lost a good 20 pounds, I felt great and as far as fats go, you are supposed to be aware of the unsaturated and saturated fats. Also processed foods are not advised but alot of them can technically pass in keto (same goes for anyones diets).I also made sure to be aware of my pottasium and magnesium and to make sure I wouldnt get muscle cramps.

It has been awhile so i'm a little rusty on the facts and what exactly i did. Maybe i'll get back on it one day but i was a little cranky not being able to have rice, most fruits, beans or have much option when going out to eat lol. I like to eat and did a horrile binge once i jumped off. So for those who are extremely dedicated, or even at risk of diabetes.. i would reccomend it to those people.
  • michaelar_ae
    michaelar_ae Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Yikes! This sounds horribly dangerous! Your body needs fats, carbs and protein! Fats are important because they give you energy. Some vitamins are also dependant on fats for absorption ie you will not get that vitamin, no matter if you overdose on it, if you do not eat fat. Carbs are also very important for the body. I highly recommend talking to your mom and convincing her to change the way she eats. She can do some serious damage to her body if she continues to elongate fats and carbs.

• siesofit
    siesofit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Subject:Watch "Ketogenic Diet Explained | Expert, Ketogenic Diet Explained | Expert Panel: https://youtu.be/H7mjm9LyW-c