Plans for 2017?

Options
What are your gaining plans for 2017 and how do they compare to what you did in 2016 ?

I spent a lot of time training with low volume on the 5-8 rep range, and I'm a little disappointed with my progress tbh.

Now my training is more volume and higher reps which I'll continue into 2017, hopefully to see more hypertrophy.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How long have you been bulking @pbryd and what programming are you following?

Gaining plans in 2017 are to continue the second half of my bulk, my goals are to be more consistent with my cal intake, maybe start tracking and logging my food (bah! :s ) I will continue the same program (Get Glutes) but try to add a fourth lifting day more consistently since I typically do only three per week right now. Otherwise my progress, while slow, is pretty good so I'm just going to keep doing what I am doing.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm going to move away from my "bro-split" workouts, which I've been doing for years and try out PHUL.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How long have you been bulking @pbryd and what programming are you following?

I've been bulking for 16 months with a couple of small cuts along the way. Following Mike Matthews advice at MFL I did a pre bulk cut and went down to 123lb with a waist of under 29.5"

I gained 13.6lb over the year but after cutting, I'm back at my January figures. Same weight and waist sizes.

You can see the type of programs I've been following, I'm hoping it's been lack of volume which has held me back.

Y4rwngf.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am not in the position to bulk yet, but I am mainly running a recomp while following Wendler 5/3/1, mainly because I want to get strong as kitten.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    2017 will be a year of very lean bulking, aiming to gain between 1-2lbs per month. The bulk will start in ernest in May after I do my first Physique competition. Aiming to get my lean mass up to 220lbs.

Oh wow that is awesome @trigden1991 .. good luck! Would love to see some photos if you are comfortable posting
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Like @sardelsa I'm going to carry on bulking and see how far I go. No goal weight set in mind. Currently doing 5x5 stronglifts. Will probably continue that next year as I'm making good progress on it at the moment.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts a few months ago, but I have very little muscle mass so this is going to be a long process just to get to novice or beginner weight. I'm a triathlete but I could see limiting the amount of cardio in 2017 vs 2016 and putting more focus on weights even thru race season.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    2017 will be a year of very lean bulking, aiming to gain between 1-2lbs per month. The bulk will start in ernest in May after I do my first Physique competition. Aiming to get my lean mass up to 220lbs.

How tall are you?
  • ryry_
    Options
    For me I'm going to finish dieting off this fat. I'm sitting at 207, I thought 200 was going to do it but it's looking closer to 190-195. After that probably a few weeks at maintenance and then a very slow bulking phase of around .5 lb a week.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »

How tall are you?

6'3 and currently 225 @ 14%

@sardelsa I'll post some pics when I'm less "off season" as to not embarrass myself too much
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No strict plans for bodyweight related things but there are a few major goals I have and a few minor things that I might do for fun:
    1. I turn 40 in August of 2017 which means I'm competing in the masters division in powerlifting. I'd like to get my squat and deadlift to 500 by the end of the year.
    2. I'd like to attempt to compete in a USAPL meet at a lower weight class (83kg).
    3. I'd like to add at least 50lbs to my total this year. Hitting either of the squat or deadlift goals would get me pretty much there provided my bench gets back to the 300 mark (I had some issues this year, lol)

For minor goals that are more "this would be kind of cool" I'm considering getting fairly lean around my 40th birthday and doing a photo shoot just for my own personal satisfaction.

If I were to guess I'm likely around 14-17% bodyfat give or take, but I'm fortunate to have good genetics for ab visibility and so I look a bit leaner than I am.

As far as training plans -- I've been doing mostly powerlifting prep cycles continuously for a while now and so I'm taking an actual offseason for a few months and focusing on hypertrophy and some movement diversity for a bit. Today I front squatted and loved it, lol.
  • ryry_
    Options

How tall are you?

@sardelsa I'll post some pics when I'm less "off season" as to not embarrass myself too much

Damn nice. I'm 6'4 long term goal to be in that 220-240 range but lean. nice work.
  • trigden1991
    Options

How tall are you?

Damn nice. I'm 6'4 long term goal to be in that 220-240 range but lean. nice work.

Thanks man. It took a lot of eating/lifting and generally looking crap to gain that enough muscle. Good luck to you
  • reginad10
    reginad10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue to gain muscle weight, hopefully 10-15lbs with clean bulking so that way when it's time to shred, it doesn't take me too long. My dream is to compete for the first time next year so hopefully I can get my body to where I want it. :)
  • Itsjakev
    Itsjakev Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My plan for 2017 is gain muscle and hit some new pr's. Especially on my bench because it is my weakest lift out of the main three. I'm currently cutting right now but will begin my lean bulk around February.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    After 18 months of cutting 2017 will be the year of the slow bulk with maybe a mini cut for the summer. I would like to add 15 lbs of lean mass.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    After 18 months of cutting 2017 will be the year of the slow bulk with maybe a mini cut for the summer. I would like to add 15 lbs of lean mass.

A great goal but don't forget that 15lbs of lean mass is a LOT and will probably take a good few years.