Ending a bulk and foot surgery

Options
Okay after December I will be ending what I consider a bulk for me. I ate above maintenance calories for the first time along with lifting. I plan to cut from December to sometime in July and August, but my concern and question is that I am getting foot surgery in the beginning of the year and I don't want to lose the majority of the lean muscle I worked so hard for (yes I know losing some of it is inevitable). My plan is to excerise on a stationary bike which seems so boring to me but I'm not sure what else to do to not hurt my foot. My other question is, I have never been very big into supplements but I want a protein supplement so I am consuming enough and preserving my muscle mass. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What kind of foot surgery are you having?! I had complete reconstruction of my left foot in July 2013 and, unfortunately, it took a VERY long time to build any type of muscle afterwards because of the slow healing process. I actually have to get another surgery on it to repair a few issues and put a new implant in, however I've been putting it off in fear of losing all the progress I've made. I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on your feet in no time! I suggest following all doctor suggestions and utilizing any PT covered by your insurance. I did not, and because of it, I will suffer for the rest of my life because it didn't heal properly. Good luck!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Also, I suggest using band work since it's resistance training that can be done without standing on your feet or putting too much pressure.
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Options
    What kind of foot surgery are you having?! I had complete reconstruction of my left foot in July 2013 and, unfortunately, it took a VERY long time to build any type of muscle afterwards because of the slow healing process. I actually have to get another surgery on it to repair a few issues and put a new implant in, however I've been putting it off in fear of losing all the progress I've made. I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on your feet in no time! I suggest following all doctor suggestions and utilizing any PT covered by your insurance. I did not, and because of it, I will suffer for the rest of my life because it didn't heal properly. Good luck!

Wow I'm sorry to hear yours did not go well, I have heard some horror stories. I am getting reconstruction on both of my feet, closer to where my big toes are. I am staying optimistic and hopefully I won't be down and out too long. And thank you for your suggestion, I will try that!!