Measurements

Options
I'm just logging weight so far, what has your experience with measurements been? A definite "yes obviously you should" or more "meh, if you feel like it"? If yes, which ones do you do? All?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've never taken my own measurements, only time I'm measured is when my doctor's office measures my waist as part of my health screening. So I'm in the "meh, if you feel like it" camp :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I take measurements once monthly, around the first of every month. Neck, chest, waist, hips, upper arm, forearm, wrist, thigh and calf. I also take 1-site and 3-site skinfold caliper measurements, and take progress photos. It may be a lot of data, but it only takes a few minutes and it's useful for measuring progress that the scale doesn't necessarily pick up.

[ETA:] I don't think it definitively falls into the "yes, you should" or "meh" categories as a one size fits all recommendation. Some people like having a lot of data, for others it drives them crazy. Just like frequency of weighing. Some people weigh daily (I do), others weigh weekly, some do it randomly, others do it once a month or less. Do whatever works best for you.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I find measurements useful when weight on the scale stalls or even goes up. Every time that happens I freak out for two seconds, grab the tape measure, and am reassured that I am losing inches. It's not necessary to take measurements, but they are a reliable way of gauging progress.