Concerned about HR when running.

Options
2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Heart rate zones are only really useful if you use them for training (and you know your max, resting, and most importantly, your Lactate threshold). If you are just running for fitness, fun, or to burn a few calories, there's really no point of even measuring. Just run and talk or sing. If you can talk or sing, you are doing it right.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If it's freaking you out and there's nothing actually wrong with you (per your doctor), why don't you stop checking your heart rate? Also, benzos have the potential to be addicting, but that doesn't mean they will be for you unless you have some addiction history not mentioned here. I currently have a prescription for a benzo and a beta blocker for panic attacks (the beta blocker is for the physical symptoms like racing heart and shaking). I rarely ever use them these days, but it's nice to have just in case.

As for HRs, when I've actually watched my HR, I've gotten into the 190-205 range during high intensity intervals (i.e., sprinting). Although I got a little woozy over 200 and try to avoid doing that. I used to easily maintain in the mid 180s during my runs (or on the elliptical) when I first started. I agree with others to go by how you feel and your breathing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Heart rate zones are only really useful if you use them for training (and you know your max, resting, and most importantly, your Lactate threshold). If you are just running for fitness, fun, or to burn a few calories, there's really no point of even measuring. Just run and talk or sing. If you can talk or sing, you are doing it right.

Thank you. I have a high resting heart rate to begin with (it's a lot lower than it used to be since I started exercising two years ago) and mine just goes up there when I run conversational pace (around 145). I'm 54. I was starting to get a little worried reading the earlier posts in this thread.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If it's freaking you out and there's nothing actually wrong with you (per your doctor), why don't you stop checking your heart rate? Also, benzos have the potential to be addicting, but that doesn't mean they will be for you unless you have some addiction history not mentioned here. I currently have a prescription for a benzo and a beta blocker for panic attacks (the beta blocker is for the physical symptoms like racing heart and shaking). I rarely ever use them these days, but it's nice to have just in case.

As for HRs, when I've actually watched my HR, I've gotten into the 190-205 range during high intensity intervals (i.e., sprinting). Although I got a little woozy over 200 and try to avoid doing that. I used to easily maintain in the mid 180s during my runs (or on the elliptical) when I first started. I agree with others to go by how you feel and your breathing.

THIS. Completely. At least until you can conquer your anxiety about it. It is a very viscous cycle. Anxious about heart rate so heart rate goes up, which causes more anxiety, which keeps the heart rate up.
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Anxiety here too, on my off days where it's worse I spike to 200 on runs too, i had to turn off the hrm because I would panic that my heart was going faster than usual because I was panicking...fun cycle lol...also get the same symptoms you describe and knew someone else who also did and went through a lot of tests and they kept saying panic attacks and since its now been several years and still no heart issues, i recon it was. Went to the er once because I jumped to 160 whilst sitting down during an attack and was still fine :) they sent me home as soon as I calmed down. All examples of how panic attacks can feel like there's something wrong when there isnt, that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't follow your gut though, just letting you know your not alone in this fear.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    This thread has been good for me. I don't feel like such a crazy person seeing others who have the exact same thing as I have. I was always a tad embarrassed about my heart rate triggering panic attacks. Maybe it will help someone else feel a little better about it too.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can get up to 185-188 when I run. Thanks for clarifying that that's normal, it's a bit above my max zone. The way I thought about it went like this: if my heart rate can go as high as a younger person's can, then it's probably okay.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    I can get up to 185-188 when I run. Thanks for clarifying that that's normal, it's a bit above my max zone. The way I thought about it went like this: if my heart rate can go as high as a younger person's can, then it's probably okay.

Then you have to adjust your zones to match the percentage of you actual max. Again, important only if you are using an HRM for training otherwise just ignore it.

BTW - I don't want to make it seem like using an HRM is the only way to train properly. It is not and many will argue that it isn't even the best way. I use it 'sometimes' along with other methods.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    slow down and then when you are running slower, slow down some more. In fact you might want to look at doing LHR training, which is low heart rate training.

You do need a proper HR monitor to wear while you exercise. So you can train your HR the whole time.

The following site has some good information about it.

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

For you, you probably don't want your HR to go over 150 at any point during exercise. So keep on slowing down until you remain under that the whole time.

Also, as others have said, get checked out by a doctor about the pains in your arm, that isn't normal.

So, at age 51, I shouldn't let my heart rate go over 130????

That seems nuts to me.

Low heart rate training is just another form of training and for some people it works and others just wont get on with it. But if someone is having panic attacks because of worrying about how high their heart rate is getting then it may well be a good idea for them to look in to.

For me, I'm in to ultra distance running. Therefore I want to be able to run for as long as possible as efficiently as possible. That means keeping within my aerobic training zones. If I was just running 5ks/10ks I wouldn't really be bothered.
    You go out and blast through it as fast as possible using what your body has stored for energy, but you can't keep that pace going for 50+ miles. Which is where LHR training has helped me.

• Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you're not taking anything Anxiety because they're addictive, do you not use beta blockers to tackle Anxiety wherever you are? Unlike stuff like xanax and valium (which we don't use in the UK anywhere near as much as they are over in the states) they're not addictive. They're used mainly to help with high blood pressure but are very effective with tackling the physical symptoms of anxiety, including lowering your heart rate. May be worth doing a bit of research on these, I took them for a while and they really helped with my Anxiety (and I could see the difference in HR when taking them too while excersizing which for me was a reason to stop because I couldnt push my zone into the cardio zone very easily)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    60lbs in 3 months is LOTS. Nearly 2.5k calories over maintenance everyday. I would seek medical advice regarding this ASAP.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. My goal is to try to keep it under zone 5.

That's fine, your personal goal can be whatever you like. I'm just letting you know that when people say their target heart rate is from A to B, that doesn't mean they can't ever go below A or above B, it just means they try to keep it in that range for most of their workout.